Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If only I could quit...

My name is Jacqui and I'm an ex-smoker. October will be 26 years. One weak moment, one inadvertent puff would erase all those years on the wagon. Or is it off the wagon?

If you want to stop smoking, you have to want to stop. No ifs, ands, or butts!

First thing: Get a physical including a chest x-ray. Hopefully your lungs will be fine and that will be the big incentive to keep them healthy!

Second: Negative reinforcement works like a charm. Do this: Smoke as many cigarettes as you can one right after another. Smoke until you cough. Then smell the ashtray. Take a deep whiff until you get nauseous and want to gag. Or vomit. Either one is good. If you don't feel like gagging, take another cigarette. Smell the ashtray. Gag.

Third: If, after step two, you get the urge for a cigarette, suck on a lolly pop, have a pretzel, chew some gum (sugar free, of course).
    If you really need to light up, before you do, smell the ashtray. Deep breath. Gag...or vomit.

Result: After a few days, the smell of smoke will become repulsive to you. You will notice the stench that is created on clothing or in an area where there has been a smoker.

Fourth: After several months, you will be begin to feel the positive effects of being smoke-free. Your lung capacity will increase and exercise that had you gasping should now be within your grasp. Most importantly, your dates will not drop you because you're a smoker. You have no excuses!

Lastly: You cannot go back. Once you stop, that's it. Savor your last nauseating, gag-inducing inhale. I did.

Jacqui

What worked for me was using the patch full strength and when the urge was to bad I used the gum also to help get me past it. Got loaded up on nicotine the first week and have to say some really cool dreams but it got easier as time goes on.