Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dressing in the 1960s

My wife wears a dress and heels most of the time when she goes out - and to those haters out there, yes, I do wear a tie and a jacket when I go out as as well, though nothing quite as skinny as Don Drapers... I am willing to bet that skin cancer will bring hats back into vogue, thank god.

Yes - most clothes today are hideous - mostly because it is uncool to look like you care, or to act as if you might have expended more than a modicum of effort. But that doesn't mean that you have to wear them.

Just because other people want to look like slobs, it does not follow that you must look like a slob. You want to look nice? You want to make people think that you care? Dress the way you wish they would. Look good. Be an example for young folks - provide an alternative to sweats and track suits.

In the long view - the fashion pendulum has swung to the fully hideous position - it can only get better from here. And it will swing back.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

<------ Super pointy bullet bra's!

Quote Originally Posted by Missy Tanya View Post
    Soon as I saw the first episode of Mad Men, I was hooked. The sexy women made up in dresses doing their everyday chores.
    Tanya
    I agree w/Tanya- And when those ladies on "Mad Men" remove those dresses (which they often do) you'll catch a glimpse of some of the most 'to-die-for" lingerie you'll ever see- bullety bras, gorgeous slips & petticoats, bustiers and girdles with stockings....
    Heavenly!!

I remember having to go shopping with my mother back in the early 1960's. Decades always seem to hang on until half way through the next one (ie. the 50's lasted till '65; the 60's till '75 and so forth).

At the shopping center we gathered all the standard stuff like pillow cases and vacuum bags but before we left she decided to go into one of the more upscale dress shops (Dayton's and Donaldsons) of the time. We ended up in the lingerie department and it was huge! I was so young I could barely see over the counters and as a kid I was pretty much overlooked but I did my share of looking!

The women young and old were all dressed in late 50's style while some of the ladies wore the new 60's stuff. I remember noticing some ladies wore seamed nylons, some wore plain but nobody had pantyhose because they weren't invented until '63 and it was the 70's before they took over. I still remember the sound those great looking ladies legs would make as they minced and clicked along on their stiletto heels. That zipping "shick-shick-shick" sound was out of this world!

And then there was the endless racks of vintage lace lavished slips, teddies, petticoats all done up in nylon, satin or taffeta or rayon with plenty of frills. And the racks of expensive nightgowns of every type as well! Then there was the girdle and brassiere displays and a huge display counter with two ladies busy selling nothing but nylon stockings without a pair of pantyhose in sight!

The dresses on display and on the racks were all in feminine style as well all done up in taffeta and with shiny acetate satin or satin trim being a big favorite. Then there were the nylon chiffon cocktail dresses.

Of course I didn't know what any of that stuff was but it was an amazing time and I didn't see one man in that store, only ladies. All I can say is, I wish I had a time machine, and a semi-trailer!

Shiny-

Photos from Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by Rita D View Post
    I agree w/Tanya- And when those ladies on "Mad Men" remove those dresses (which they often do) you'll catch a glimpse of some of the most 'to-die-for" lingerie you'll ever see- bullety bras, gorgeous slips & petticoats, bustiers and girdles with stockings....
    Heavenly!!
    Hi All- Found some pics to back up what I'm talking about- Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not only were the post WWII years ones of baseball,hotdogs,apple pie and Chevrolet,the later part of the sixties and the first couple years of the seventies did bring,in some small way,some new ideas and concepts. But I was very young and for the most part the years between 1966 and 1970 were years when my brother and sister and I were overjoyed if Mom got into the turn lane for a surprise visit to Steak and Shake,Mcdonald's or A&W. There's just one thing though. Starting when I saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan in 1964 I was incurably fascinated with the women in Rock and Roll and on TV like Dusty Springfeild and Tina Louise. I was a fan yet I wanted their clothes and stuff and I was 7 and 8 years old and there was no way! So I had to forget it until I got out of high school in 1974.
    Last edited by Samantha B L; 05-31-2009 at 11:29 AM.

More stylish

[SIZE="3"]I grew up during the '50s and '60s. I liked the styles the ladies wore because they were,in my mind, feminine. I don't wear pants when I dress. I wear them as a male so why should I wear them enfemme?

I don't wear nylons or pantyhouse because I like to show off my legs . Of course, if I went to a special affair then I would wear them.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]

I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

gennee wrote: "I grew up during the '50s and '60s. I liked the styles the ladies wore because they were,in my mind, feminine. I don't wear pants when I dress. I wear them as a male so why should I wear them enfemme?"

I'm with you, gennee. I was born about in early in 1952. I had a lot of older female cousins (but no sisters) so I knew very well what they wore, and I was intrigued by all of their silky things like panties, slips, petticoats, and later on, bras, stockings and girdles. Of course, Mom wore a bra, stockings, and a garterbelt or girdle with stocking clips, but no petticoats.

Plus, one of my grandmothers worked in a lingerie factory. We used to stop in there often. It was neat to see all of that stuff being made.

Mom always dressed nicely, and she still does. Maybe she liked nice dresses so much because she was an RN and wore a uniform to work all of the time, but even her uniforms had style.

I began wearing Mom's stuff when I was 10 or so. I loved the feel of stockings and high heels. I'm still a stockings and high heels ****, and I love dresses. I like the styles of the 50 and 60s that I grew up with, but I especially love watching the old movies from the 30s and 40s. The outfits the women wore, especially in Fred & Ginger type musicals, are incredible!

I don't pass, but if I were to go dressed to something like a TriEss meeting, I'd wear an age appropriate, current style dress, stockings, and 2" to 3" pumps or sandals, depending on the season and the dress. Not that I always dress that behind closed doors. ;-)

Jenny

All this reminds me of a scene from the movie The Steagle, set in 1962, this guy makes it with an airline stewardess (yes, that was what they were called then) and watching her unclip her earrings and unsnap her stockings from her garters is very erotic...

Someone mentioned June Cleaver on TV wearing pumps, dressese and pearls while vacumming. My wife and her best friend have always said they expected to end up like that, almost as if they are bemoaning the loss of the elegance it represented, even though they dress quite informally when away from work.

As for me, I saw a very attractive young woman walking down main street yesterday as I sat idling in traffic. I thought, there is nothing like seeing a pretty woman like that in a nice dress and heels. There really isn't! Wish more would dress that way.
    In the end, once all is said and done, and we have exhausted the analysis, this is all about having fun and girlls just want to have fun!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissConstrued View Post
    Mmm, yes, well, for those of you who lived through that decadent decade... you thought Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix were good musicians. You might question your memory a bit.
    Hey! If you take enough drugs and booze, even the Greatful Dead sound like they're singing in key.

I started crossdressing in the sixties, and am hooked (or stuck) loving to wear teen age girl styles, and am influenced heavily by the short skirts and dresses, and the long straight 'hippie chick' hair, not to mention the blue eye shadow I 'borrowed' from my sister. But I still like the country style of the girls on Petticoat Junction as well.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Hey, for the record, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, and the Grateful Dead are all wonderful musicians. Say what you will. Hendrix may have been doing lots of drugs, but his talent is undeniable. Clapton and Page both said that he'd put them all out of business because of his incredible playing ability. Dylan, despite his odd voice, was a master songwriter, and managed an individual style that resonates his legendary status to this day. And the Dead, despite the "you can't like them if you're not trippin'" reputation, have a repertoire that boasts dozens of incredible songs. If you don't like them, you ain't listening.

This part of the argument holds no water. Sorry.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

I know I love what the women wear in any movie that takes place from the 60's on back, partly exlcuding the hippies since bathing is probably one of those societal rules we can agree on.

I'd actually really love to acquire some 50's looks.
    For years I hoped I was just a CDer but now I realize I am transgender and that's alright.