Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being transgendered – would you wish it on your son?

Being transgendered – would you wish it on your son?

It is tempting to assert that being transgendered is a condition bringing with it a richer experience of life and that it is not appropriate to use terms such as “cure” or “treatment” in relation to cross-dressing.

Yet being transgendered presents a complex set of problems so deeply ingrained that they very often lead to serious difficulties in forming and maintaining relationships and complying with important societal norms.

While most of the contributors to this site (including myself) have learned to enjoy being transgendered there is a significant downside.

Leaving aside how well you have adapted to being transgendered, I am presenting this thought experiment:

Assume that you could somehow opt for an unborn son to develop as either transgendered or not transgendered.

Would you avail of option (a) or (b)

(a) Yes – I opt for him to be transgendered
    (b) No – I opt for him not to be transgendered

And for the sake of the experiment let us assume that mental and physical health is otherwise assured and not dependant on gender.

As for my own response, it would be (b).

Over to you.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Sapphire

I would not choose for him to be transgendered but if he was I would still support him 100% so I suppose the easy answer would be (b) but does it really matter??
    Pattie

I do not know why anyone would opt to be transgendered. But as it is not our choice we must make the best of it. If I had a child hopefully I would support them in whatever they did.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Wishing TG

If I knew what I knew now, I woould want my son to be brought up from the start as Transgendered because I think it is a better way of life for him and would want him to be girlist right from the start. I didn't start till late in life and I wish IU would have been brought up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattie O View Post
    I would not choose for him to be transgendered but if he was I would still support him 100% so I suppose the easy answer would be (b) but does it really matter??
    Pattie

Yeah, what she said!

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Honestly, I could not wish this condition on my worst enemy.

It's a no brainer. "B". Of course! Knowing what "We" know and having lived through what "We" have. What kind of loving parent would wish that upon their own children??

The answer is "B"..."B"..."B"!!!!
    "A" is not an option. Ever!!
    And since both "A" and "B" are not matter of choice, in regards to the transgendered. They question is therefore "irrelevant".
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

Aspiring Member
    Without a doubt, B.

"B" I am what I am and have to hide what I am most of the time.

I do not wish this on my 15 year old son. He knows what I am and is SO-SO with it but I do not wish this burden on him.

Quote Originally Posted by ptp009 View Post
    If I knew what I knew now, I woould want my son to be brought up from the start as Transgendered because I think it is a better way of life for him and would want him to be girlist right from the start. I didn't start till late in life and I wish IU would have been brought up that way.
    I'm sorry....... But are you FRACKIN NUTS?

Talk about reliving your unforfilled life through your son.

You would Want/Wish for him to be girlest from the start?
    Why? so you can dress him up in pretty little dresses and enter him in pageants?

Did you misread the question?
    Did you not see the other option?
    Why the Frack would ANYONE want this for their kid.

Geezzz thanks a pant load for all the future BS I'm going to go through dad.

Oh and don't worry, that father of the year award is in the mail.
    And that ticking is the free travel alarm clock, so just ignore it... K!
    Last edited by Sammy777; 06-13-2009 at 01:28 AM.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

I live in the real world! DaphneGrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ptp009 View Post
    I am a little confused, are you saying you would try and make your son Transgendered?

Or are you saying you would support him if he was?

I mean you are or your not, its kind of no brainer don't you think?

/
    Living the life I choose!

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall

Not. On. Your. Life.

I have walked a thin line with him over the years, both celebrating his unique personality and warning him that standing out too much carries with it the risk of getting beaten down. I made it clear that anything he wants to do or be that sets him apart from the crowd (and in the process makes his life rough) I'm behind him all the way, but he has to decide for himself how much "uniqueness" is worth the inevitable torches and pitchforks carried by angry villagers who live in fear of anything different.

Actually although my answer would be no, it wouldn't worry me if he was. There is a great deal of enjoyment and fun in being transgendered.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CharleneT View Post
    Honestly, I could not wish this condition on my worst enemy.
    Its not curse!

Read "Brain Sex"

No, I would not wish it on him. Even though, I myself would not chose not to be.

There is a lot of fun and enjoyment to be had from being TG and I could argue it's made me a better person, but there also can be fear, hate, rejection, confusion and self doubt.

However I will continue to support and love him whatever he turns out or chooses to be (except a banker, in which case I will disown him).

Love Sally

Option B without a doubt!!

I wouldn't wish this path on anyone who didn't have to take it, but if one of my sons turns out to be transgendered at some point in their lives, obviously i'll support them 100%

Unexpected Woman Empress Lainie's Avatar

No doubt whatsoever

[SIZE=4]I would choose B, I would not wish anyone to ever have to live with mismatched sex and gender ID.

I am a transexual woman (non-op for various reasons) and have never been happier in my entire life, even with the downside that went with it, like being unemployed for 2 years, and facing living on the street.

I wonder why you didn't also address a daughter being a transman, but the answer would be the same.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Ascended Ancient[/SIZE]

I would not wish this on anyone. Altho it can be fun at times. Isn't life hard enough as it is already? Atleast for me this is not a choice. Being a CD is part of who I am and I have to live with it.

Although it has made me a better person I would not want this for anyone.

I have 2 sons and I'm pretty sure they are not TG or CD but I would love them just the same no matter what.
    just north of crook county,in the land of Lincoln(if he could see it now)

No.

Despite the richness of the experiences, I wouldn't wish this on my dog. But then, I really like my dogs, too.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Mostly Harmless...
    The answer would be of course B.

Being transgendered is not that easy, it makes your life a lot harder and takes out a lot out of your money. Why would I want my own child to go through the same things I'm going right now?

However, in the case my child would be transgendered, I would support her/him from the moment I would know about it to make it as easy as possible for them.
    I look like a Girl
    With Makeup on my Face
    In Reality
    A cute Kitty I am!

In a word...no. Though I'm not ashamed to be TG and feel that I have dealt with things throughout my life about as well as could be expected...I know how difficult it is in this society to be TG, and especially to be TS, and I couldn't in good conscious wish that on any of my children, if I had any. So obviously I'd pick option B. But that said, if I did have children, and if any of them were CD/TG/TS, I would fully support them and help them with it as much as I could.
    Last edited by ChristineRenee; 06-13-2009 at 07:38 AM.

It seems nearly everyone agrees No and so do I. Not that I would miss this for anything but generally having to hide it away from most people is a pain. However like most others if a son was he would get 100% support.

I wouldn't wish it on him, but i'd embrace it and support him every step of the way if he was.

I suppose if there was a choice i'd say maybe make it so he isn't as I know society isn't always accepting of us, but it's a bit of a tough question for me lol