Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been recognised when dressed?

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    It happens to me regularly. Usually there's a friendly exchange of greetings as we pass just as would happen if I were presenting as male. Once one of my neighbours saw me in the supermarket and came rushing across to get my advice on some email problems she'd been having.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

Just an average girl Carole Cross's Avatar
    I get recognised all the time by my family and TG friends but since they know about me it's not really a problem, lol. Seriously, if anyone who knows me does recognise me, I will tell them that I am transitioning and this is the real me. I don't have a problem with anyone knowing.
    living the dream

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    I'm actually surprised I haven't yet, since I use my real hair and always wear my glasses, I don't look too differently in male mode than I do en femme.
    After I grew my hair long, I realized that this could be a drawback. With a wig, there is a drastic change from short (or no) hair to the long hair that is styled. Grow you hair long, and the change is very minimal.

It is my unusual height that would give me away, no matter how i presented, or else, y voice.

My only fear of being recognised is being seen in my car which would give me away completely.. I Drive a Corvette wit a custom tag that everyone knows..

At Salvation Army, I had my wig with me. The girls helped me choose my "Halloween costume". I bought a blouse, suit, shoes, jewelry, pantyhose, bra. Decided to wear the outfit out of the store. The girl took my money and put my male clothes in a bag. Just as I headed for the door--a woman acquaintance from church came in with two kids in tow. She didn't seem to notice, but I was panicked and I hid in the fitting room for several long minutes. Finally, the girls said the coast was clear, although she was only about 30 feet away. I slipped out as quiet and quick as I could. LOL!

I have, everyday as a matter of fact. When I walk into the office I hear Hi Kelly,good morning Kelly, how are you Kelly?......
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I have twice been seen by my next door neighbor when dresses, but without a bra. Once in a Sam's Club store and the other time while waiting in line to get my auto tag. Both times we just talked and he never said anything about the skort I was wearing or the feminine tank top. I think he knows I CD!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

yes and no

i agree, when your own hair is long there is not as much change as from short hair to a wig.

additionally, it seems i have a VERY recognizable face...i was at a renaissance festival one year, before the faire opened. i was coming from the showers, wearing t-shirt, shorts, and a towel wrapped around my head (one thing i've always done girl style, because how else should one dry their hair when it is that long?) and a woman called out to me, and we started chatting. turns out she had last seen me 5 years prior, ONE time, in full kilt, with my hair long and loose, looking (as far as i could tell) almost completely unlike i looked that day. certainly a bigger difference between me en femme and not.

on the other hand, when i dressed for halloween (as in my avatar) and went to work, several people seemed to take rather a long time to recognize me...double- and triple-takes abounded. even with the beard, face, and glasses like i always wear, hair worn exactly the same way, apparently the heels, skirt, nail polish, and breasts changed it up enough that they couldn't process at first.

**error! error! does not compute**

lol

Some years ago on Halloween I went to my usual watering hole. I was not recognised until my voice gave me away as I ordered a drink. Most people recognised me but one man who worked for me stood next to me for a few moments and failed to figure out whoI was. For several month I heard the story about this ugly woman who had been in the bar on halloween.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

I have not been reconized yet. Several times I have seen at lesbian bars girls that I knew from work. Been just a few feet from them but they did not reconize. One lady...I see her maybe at least once a week at a customer site and I would see her almost everytime I went to the Stage Door. Used to worry about her but she shows no signs of spotting me in boy mode when I see her at work. But I am careful to not talk to her at the bar!!!

Other than that a guy I know very well from work looked right at me while I was driving and stopped at a light. I know I did that momentary look of surprise when I locked eyes with him...was very worried...but he never let on all the times I saw him later.

For a while the neighbors did not seem to catch on to me also but I finally seemed to have gotten spotted and I can tell everyone know nows I am a CD but no one gives me any troubles. The guys just ignore me and the ladies mostly smile at me when I am in girl or boy mode. LOL the guys used to smile or wave...but dont' do that anymore!!!

By the way I am still in the closet a bit...but in a big city like Atlanta you can hide in plain sight if ya know what I mean. Still I take crazy risks and one of these days for sure will get busted I imagine.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Not yet ... I seen two guys (on two different occasions) from work when I was out shopping. I looked at them and they looked at me (in passing) ... nothing was said. I don't think they recognized me
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I've walked past people that I know 1/2 a dozen times, with no reaction from them at all.They were not real close friends, but people that would stop and talk if I were in male mode.There was a post here a while back that showed a video of a street experiment, where someone would strike up a conversation with a random passerby, asking for directions.After a small diversion, they switched the person asking, and the other person did not even notice they were talking to a different person!For the most part, were just to busy to pay much attention to what's going on around us.
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

Here is the ultimate unrecognizable situation! Nobody in my family knows that I dress but I have dressed up as a women openly on Halloween a couple of times. And this was in the early stages for me when I still looked more like the "guy in a dress" so to speak.

My mother works at a cosmetics counter and this particular Halloween I thought I would dress up in some of her things and pay her a visit as a bit of a joke. The other times I dressed up on Halloween my mother did my makeup and hair and such. But this time I had to do it myself. Needless to say I was quite nervous when I arrived.

After browsing around her counter for what seemed like 10-15 minutes she finally decided to ask me if I needed a hand. Now if I was smart I would have tried to see how far I could go with her treating me like a regular customer, but I didn't.

As soon as she asked me if I needed a hand I replied "no thanks mom". Well when she realized who it was, the look on here face at that exact moment was priceless. She then told me that she kept looking over at me thinking that she recognized the clothes. Or that someone was wearing "her" outfit.

So either I "pass" much better than I realize or people don't really notice much as others have said here. Either way it made my day!

Oh here is another quickie. Another Halloween I decided to go to a straight bar dressed as your typical bar "sl*t" so to speak. I have to tell you that I was getting compliments from many of the staff. And they only discovered my "secret" after I ordered my first drink using my man voice. and since 99% of the people had costumes on many of the patrons just thought I was I girl who chose not to dress up for Halloween. Now how funny is that.

Since I'm "me" 24/7 I get recognised all the time.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    I was recognised in a darkened room! An audiance in fact! As after getting there late and sitting down someone I knew sat down beside me saying "Hi (Batty)!"

Outside at the same event someone had to come up and see if it was me or a relative of me.

But thats hardly surprising as I already had been wearing eyeliner and lipstick in public.

I've bumped into two different people in a Mall that had no idea about who I was. It had me a bit nervous to begin with but everything turned out alright. A couple of other people saw me right here in town (only 1 traffic light) but again, no problem. I know I look a lot different in guy mode but no one ever had an idea
    Kisses, Linda

First, as most of you know, I do not try to hide who I am, No wig (never owned one), very rarely any make-up, SO, Never worry about being read

Second, being spotted by someone I know, more currious as to what would happen, than worried. This happened a couple of weeks ago, BUT, I didn't know I had been seen. Went to work on a Monday morning, checked in with dispatch, one of our dispatchers said " Frank wants to know why you don't wear a wig or do make-up? ". Frank, a co-worker saw me at the mall in the exact below outfit, when I asked Frank why he didn't say Hi, he said he was on the other side of a 2 level mall going the opposite direction.

Just wanted to say to those that are worried " See, the world didn't come to an end ! "

"I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

Sure, I've had lots of people walk up to me and say "Hey, aren't you Kimberly from Texas?" LOL
    Just teasing, I know that is not the intent of your question. No, while doing the Kimberly thing, no one has ever recognized Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina_C View Post
    It is my biggest fear that when out as Gina someone might recognise me as my male self. I often hear comments that "even my mother would not recognise me" but does that really work?
    The key thing IME is your hair - if you wear your own, your image is much more similar - a wig and some slap make a huge difference.

I've sat in a London restaurant for three hours, talking with two girls from my company (one did my two week, one-to-one induction) - neither recognised me.

I've sat (in boy mode) down next to a T-girl friend, in a pub in Bristol, bought her a drink - and she only realised who I was five minutes later when she was looking away and I talked to someone else..

The transformation's always remarkable, when you meet someone in drab..
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo, Debbie View Post
    It used to bother me but now i dont bother.
    What a great statement!
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

getting closer everyday.. Kiera's Avatar
    I once ran into a woman I work with while I was out dressed. She would have walked right past me if I hadnt stopped her and told her I knew her from work. Even after speaking she didnt realise who I was... I had to show her my male ID for her to get it and I saw her on a regular basis at work.
    Hugs,
    Kiera
    Kiera Renea

Not that I know of, but I have only been out past the front door a couple of times, and only recently.

I am quite confident that, although I won't "pass" as they say, people will just see a CDer without recognizing me.

Cheers

Tash

Nothing as of yet. Nobody has said anything if they have.

I'm sure someone will one day.....Oh well if they do.
    I am in love with the most understanding GG and my biggest fan. Jennifer, I love you!

Let's see, a former boss made a fairly agressive pass at me via an on line forum similar to this one. He sent photos, told me what he did for a living, etc. When I saw him at work and, it was very clear that he had no idea. That whole experience kind of freaked me out, but it also instilled a bit of confidence.