Thread: Stonewall After Forty Years

Stonewall After Forty Years

Forty years ago the members of the New York City Police Department entered the Stonewall Inn to harass its clientel of underage homosexuals, street hustlers and transvestites. The patrons of the establishment took offense and a riot ensued. The disturbance continued over the course of three evenings. The Stonewall riots as they were named became the inspiration for the gay rights movement.
    The National Center for Transgender continues to promote our rights which include:

Improving the Hate Crimes Act to include acts against traansgender people.
    Non discrimination in education, to protect students from discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity and expression.
    Employment Non-Discrimination Acr (ENDA) to protect workers from discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
    Safe Schools to protect students from bullying and harassment.

We have made serious progress since the days when a crossdresser was in serious danger of arrest if out in public, we still have a long way to go.

Let your elected officials know you support transgender rights, on election day support those candidates who will protect our rights.

Do not tolerate any form of discrimination in your community.

It is not necessary to "out" yourself to support your rights.

What rights we have gained have been won through the hard work and the blood of many people, let us continue.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Amen! And Amen again!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Aspiring Member

Talking MJ & hatred

Trannie T: Yesterday brought home what you're saying to me.....I absolutely couln't believe the hatred and racism bubbling to the surface after Michael Jacksons death. Guys at work were actually laughing at this??? The number of homophobic and racist comments floored me!!! Furthermore when I urged a little discretion in expressing ones feelings, some turned on me.
    It occured to me that these so-called friends would subject me to the same treatment of they knew about my situation.....So I made a vow, I'm going to try to become even more liberal and open-minded that I already am. And furthermore I intend to attempt to interject a little more tolerance into the conversations. My previous method was to stay silent in the face of this talk, but I'm abandoning that strategey starting this morning.

TT thanks for getting this weekend started. Being as we can blend in in everyday activities as male persons, we tend to think that we don't need protection or help in our daily lives. Our community has let the visible gays, lesbians and TS's take it to the streets while many here believe we are safe.

But as Danielle noted, it does not take much to bring out the hate and ignorance. 40 years is a long time for some things. The original protesters are now AARP members. Yet it is just a moment in getting all people to come together and stop bigotry and hate. Ignorance can be corrected, learned hatred has to be unlearned, a much more difficult task. Closed minds take miracles to unlock.

If it takes 40 more years, then at least the next generation will have an easier "row to hoe".

I'll be out this weekend, celebrating, remembering and educating when I can.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Maybe Teddy said it best:

" Walk quietly, but carry a big stick in your purse"!

Or, words to that effect!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Gee View Post
    Trannie T: Yesterday brought home what you're saying to me.....I absolutely couln't believe the hatred and racism bubbling to the surface after Michael Jacksons death. Guys at work were actually laughing at this??? The number of homophobic and racist comments floored me!!! Furthermore when I urged a little discretion in expressing ones feelings, some turned on me.
    It occured to me that these so-called friends would subject me to the same treatment of they knew about my situation.....So I made a vow, I'm going to try to become even more liberal and open-minded that I already am. And furthermore I intend to attempt to interject a little more tolerance into the conversations. My previous method was to stay silent in the face of this talk, but I'm abandoning that strategey starting this morning.
    You GO, Girl!

As I have mentioned before, we have an LGBT employee resource group at work. Yesterday we held a periodic informational discussion over lunchtime. One of our members had prepared a presentation chronicling the history of the LGBT movement. Regarding Stonewall, one of the things that I never knew was that New Your City used to have a law that stated you must wear "3 pieces of gender appropriate clothing". This was often the excuse used for rousting bar patrons. Additionally, there used to be laws that stated that bar operators could "not serve known homosexuals". Obviously we have a LONG ways to go to achieve the Just Society that we would all want, but simultaneously, we need to remember what has been accomplished so far and those who made it happen. Remembering Stonewall is a good way to start...

As the twig is bent... Leslie Foxx's Avatar
    There was a pretty interesting first hand account of the Stonewall riots in the New York Times op ed section the other day. I learned a lot of background info I was previously unaware of.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/26/op..._r=1&th&emc=th
    [SIZE="3"]Leslie[/SIZE]

"In these shoes?"

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    Compton Cafeteria Riots, Stonewall.. parts of our history, our culture.

We should celebrate and understand it. And importantly learn the lesson that society doesn't progress by itself, people have been changing it.

We owe thm our support and our efforts and our awareness and our thanks.

Thanks to all those who have acted for fairness equality and liberty, on the front lines in riots and in marches and the less visible hard workers in the lobby groups!

I am lending and will continue to lend my efforts to ensure that things do not slide, progress is not lost but instead continues for my sake and the sake of the generations to follw!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by battybattybats View Post
    Compton Cafeteria Riots, Stonewall.. parts of our history, our culture.

We should celebrate and understand it. And importantly learn the lesson that society doesn't progress by itself, people have been changing it.

We owe thm our support and our efforts and our awareness and our thanks.

Thanks to all those who have acted for fairness equality and liberty, on the front lines in riots and in marches and the less visible hard workers in the lobby groups!

I am lending and will continue to lend my efforts to ensure that things do not slide, progress is not lost but instead continues for my sake and the sake of the generations to follw!
    Good point. So true that the Human Organism resists change. All of the significant social progressions have come at great cost and over extended time periods. Sadly, we just don't seem to be able to do it any other way.

On the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall riots the Fort Worth, Texas police attacked a group celebrating the event. We still have a long way to go.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Last night there was a program onthe public TV channel that took the liberation movement from the twenties through the Stonewall riot to present and I learned so much. I work at an university and there you would think there would be more tolerance but it is there also. You can educate and put up rules to follow but in the closed spaces and areas outside work we have the same misunderstanding and petty minds that keep the discrimination alive. Be careful and yes Teddy said it right, "walk softly but carry a big stick". By the way mine is five feet tall with a top end of 3 inch diameter.

Keli