Thread: do you ever play the halloween guessing game?

do you ever play the halloween guessing game?

i guess the game is "spotting the real cd's"...

i, like a lot of people on this forum, love halloween for the simple fact of being able to get fully dressed and go out, pretty much anywhere. my favorite question is when someone asks "what are you supposed to be?" and i always say that it's not a costume, i just like dressing this way. also, i think there are some people, females in particular, that can tell that there is way too much effort put into your elaborate "costume" for it to just be a halloween costume. every year i see more and more men in drag on halloween, which is awesome, but do you ever wonder when you see someone if they are a true cd or just a costume wearer? sometimes it obvious they aren't a real cd, sometimes its kind of obvious they are, but then there are all the ones in between.
    do you ever wonder or have asked someone (on halloween) if they were a real dresser or not? what was their reaction?

what gives it away the most? i always look at the shaved legs/painted toenails/perfect make-up/expensive heels as a dead giveaway.

I think a big thing to look for is what their costume is. If it's a guy dressed up just as "woman," and wearing what looks like borrowed/thrift store clothes and comically stuffed boobs it's probably a good bet that he's just wearing a costume, but if he's actually gone through the trouble to seek out a traditionally female costume, I tend to think he might be one of us because just dressing in women's clothes wouldn't be a "costume" for him.

Though I also tend to think any man who dresses for halloween probably has at least some desire to do it in general, and perhaps only does it on halloween because it's the only time he thinks it'd be ok.

Gold Member
    It seems you can't win. I recall previous threads about Halloween saying if you dressed like a standard woman, then you would look too good for someone just doing it for that night. So it is usually said to wear a costume to avoid. Now if you wear a costume, you must be a crossdresser because you are avoiding dressing like a woman.

This answers the threads about the percentage of men that are crossdressers. It is 100%! You are either wearing woman's clothing or not wearing it so no one will guess you are a crossdresser.

costumes

I for one prefer to go out dressed as a woman in a costume. Maybe a fairie, Witch, bopeep, snow white or french maid or something along this line at least you can get the idea

This answers the threads about the percentage of men that are crossdressers. It is 100%! You are either wearing woman's clothing or not wearing it so no one will guess you are a crossdresser.
    I was saying wearing a traditionally woman's costume, not wearing a costume so as not to make someone think you wore women's clothes. This isn't always true, I see plenty of guys who dress as not-so-sexy french maids or such who are clearly doing it for a laugh more than anything else, but I've also seen guys who have dressed basically as sincerely in a women's costume as a woman would in the same costume and I doubt that those guys don't at least in some way have a desire to wear women's clothes.

I think I see where your going with this... and yes, IMHO there are a couple of give-a-ways to a "true" CD vs. a guy in a female costume. (Although I would have to venture the idea that ANY guy in a female costume is out for the curiosity of "what is it like") I always look to see if
    1) If she is wearing high heels - can she walk "too" well for a first timer?
    2) Painted toes and fingernails? (most first timers don't want to go to the trouble)
    3) Watch how they avoid messing up thier make-up
    4) Feminine hair flips
    5) "Plops" when sitting or is it a gentle sit - with a possible skirt smoothing from the rear end.
    and of course .......
    6) If in a dress or skirt does she always remember to cross her legs?
    Little things like these add up to someone that has "girl time", and I take time to chat with them and see if they fess up.

good examples would be...

a jocky frat boy dressed like a cheerleader or and old lady, hairy legs, horrible $3 wig from k-mart, really bad make-up job = probably not

guy dressed like a dominartix, fishnet stockings, shaved legs, stripper heels, $50 wig, looks like he spent 3 hours on his make-up = definitely

then again there are some guys that have their girlfriends dress them and do their make-up, but i think some of them have a scret desire to cd.

Stephanie, dont forget to add:

1) Did they shave their face before going out?
    2) If they are at a party, resturant, etc, are they eating like most women eat or swallowing it whole and chewing it never?
    3) Scratching themselves in certain places?

These are good signs that they just might not be a true CD'r
    You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world.

Kim

I don't know, with some of your criteria's I don't think I'd register as a true CD. I usually don't paint nails, I plop when I sit occasionally, unless I'm wearing chunky heels like espadrilles or my thick mary janes I struggle still with heels cause my center of gravity is thrown off, and I can plow through some food no matter how I'm dressed

After learning the origin of Halloween and how almost every single culture in the world has shared/shares a similar holiday, where the dead and death are celebrated and respected, I don't feel right dressing in anything except raggy clothes and painting my face to look dead.

Let me hamper that sentiment by adding that, to me, the point isn't really all that superstitious. It's about accepting death as an inevitable a part of life, thereby getting us accustomed to the idea so we don't spend all our lives fearing its end. I feel disrespectful if I don't acknowledge that.

Additionally, I didn't think that was a halloween game. I thought that was a drunken bar game that you played noisily with your most obnoxious of friends until you got slapped by someone/thrown out/magically transported to your front lawn, early in the morning, passed out in a pool of awful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My writing thread

If they have a long wig on, it's in how they manage the hair. It took me a while to get used to it. If he's just started wearing it that day, he's going to be getting frustrated with having to manage it, and it will show; hair in the food, hair in the drink, hair constantly in the face; if he leans over to a water fountain, say, does he automatically hold back the hair before he bends over, or does he bend over first and THEN try to pull it back after it becomes 'in the way'?
    Another vote for how well he manages to walk in heels.
    And how well he keeps his clothing in order.
    Panties or Jockeys? An 'outer' costume often won't include parts that they aren't 'displaying'. If you see a guy wearing a female corset, well, those aren't something we can buy all that easily; so he's got more desire for the garment than just casual.
    Oh, yeah; did he bring make up with him in his purse to adjust things as the day wears on, and does he fix it himself or is his GF doing it for him.
    And, how he handles his purse. GG's do everything 'naturally'; there's an ease in movement whether carrying it or putting it somewhere, because it's become second nature. A guy new to carrying one will always have a 'what do I do with this thing' hesitation as he tries to figure it out.
    Does he appear fully shaved? Eyebrows 'shaped'?

The list goes on.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Hmmm,,, there is also a diference between someond who's "costume" is "Averagr feamle" and one who is out as somthng specific.
    Like you see someone is somthing a woman would wear in every day life, and then you see one going as say a witch, or a celebrity.
    Like I used to be happy just getting to go out dressed in my best for Haloween. But now that I'm more comfortable with presenting as female on an average day, I find myself looking to haloween costumes such as Sarah Palin (last year) and this year I'm thinking Elvira, Mistress of the dark.

Interesting You Should Bring This Up!

Just yesterday, under WindyCissy's thread in this same section (Male To Female Crossdressing) entitled: "She Smelled Good", I related a story of what happened to ME about 18 years ago when I dressed for a company Halloween party. Check it out.....

I wrote this 'tongue in cheek' guide on how to do drag for Halloween without outing yourself a few years ago. I think it sums up this thread pretty well...

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=70235
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

right on...i'll give those other threads a read later on tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty G View Post
    I for one prefer to go out dressed as a woman in a costume. Maybe a fairie, Witch, bopeep, snow white or french maid or something along this line at least you can get the idea

I'm doing Snow White this year. I did Little Red Riding Hood last year, a plain female the year before. All to the best of my ability, and all properly accessorized. Earrings, necklaces, the right shoes for the right dress.... And most of the guests that haven't seen me before assume (at least for a while) that I am a female. If my friends don't at least guess that I have more than a passing interest in Women's clothing then they're not as smart as I think. And they're pretty darned smart.

The girls in our admissions office (university) said last year that I looked great but they also asked who did my makeup and where I bought my wig. Then one asked what I was wearing under the dress. I said the same as her.LOL Yes the women will figure it out fairly quickly but the guys not a clue.

Teri

One year I went to a straight bar for Halloween dressed as a "bar ****". Most people thought I was a girl who just chose not to dress up...lol. Even the staff didn't figure it out until I started talking.

I think we tend to do it naturally. But, I like playing the game from the point of view of keeping people looking at me quessing. Its kind of fun to dress well and play it dumb for your friends who know you as a male and walk like a lumberjack, but go full female body movements in the same venue when away from your friends. Parties are great fun and no matter how well you dress, your friends will not guess...other than thinking you and your SO went way overboard...but you got the best costume (yet again this year)!

Quote Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
    I wrote this 'tongue in cheek' guide on how to do drag for Halloween without outing yourself a few years ago. I think it sums up this thread pretty well...

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=70235
    finally got around to reading this haha. good stuff. oddly enough 2007 was the last halloween i went out dressed as i was sick last year. but i did wear womens jeans, make-up and a girly shirt while i sat around watching tv. no trick-or-treaters so i didn't have to pass out candy either.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragdoll View Post
    finally got around to reading this haha. good stuff. oddly enough 2007 was the last halloween i went out dressed as i was sick last year. but i did wear womens jeans, make-up and a girly shirt while i sat around watching tv. no trick-or-treaters so i didn't have to pass out candy either.
    Well this thread reminded me of the many prizes I have won at house halloween parties in various female costumes. There was another guy who also CDed for halloween but lost to me for several years in a row. i have been, Wonder Woman (GF was Superman), Bride of frankenstein (GF Frank himself)... Anyway the next year he shows up with a shaved chest and latex boobs stuck to his chest. He wins and turns to me and says take that bitch. i simply reply, if i knew it mattered that much to him i would have come as a guy if he just asked. i wonder how long it took to peel those boobs off?

Banned Read only
    The first time I donned a dress for Halloween, it never dawned on me that I might be breaking any rules... or appearing to be too good at it. I guess part of me always figured it would be easier if I didn't have to keep secrets.