Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Military Physical Exam Disaster - Part 2

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.

Military Physical Exam Disaster - Part 2

First, if you haven't already, you may want to read part 1 of this story, found here. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Hmmmm hmmmm hmmm.

. . .

. . .

OK, are you back? Good. Now you know the beginning. Buckle up for what I hope is the end.

I had my Reserve weekend this weekend. Just like last month, I was briefing my troops on their appointments for the day. I saw my name on the list under physical exam. My mind immediately thought the worst, "Oh crap! The Doc turned me in! Well, at least I won't be going to the sandbox again. Oh crap! I just did my toes again Thursday." (OPI Argenteeny Pinkini - very cute!).

I made sure my people got the jets ready for the first flight and off to the hospital I went. I collected my medical record at the reception area and the sheet telling me which stations to go to. I needed to go to the lab for bloodwork (AIDS screening?!) and see the Doc. I trudged to the lab first. Now, in the military, we do get yearly AIDS screenings. Maybe because we deploy to places that aren't exactly, . . . savory - Thailand, Denmark and other places which have hot and cold running prostitutes - and they want to be sure. Still, I had had mine done during my normal physical in February. I was obviously feeling busted. The lab tech took my blood sample and I was off to wait on the Doc. I remembered him telling me that he was retiring soon, and had kind of hoped that he was already gone. Many many thoughts were rushing through my head - was this the end of my military career? Would they let the people in my unit know? My wife? So many thoughts were going through that I didn't hear them call my name.

I was walked down the hall by a very cute med tech ("Dead man walking" was on my mind, for some reason ) and ushered into an exam room. I was told to leave my uniform on and that the Doc would see me soon. Was she smiling strangely as she said that? Does she know too? I waited for about three minutes, with my heart hammering away and after a knock on the door, in walks the old Colonel - the original doctor. I started to get up, but he waved me down. "I suppose you're wondering why I called you back" he said. I squeaked out a grunt that sounded something like "yeah." He paused for about 20 seconds and said, "Tell you what. while we are in this room, I am your doctor and you are my patient. I am not a colonel. In fact, we're really not in the military, OK?" "OK" I cautiously said. "Since we're not in the military," he continued, "let's do away with the whole "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" nonsense." He saw that I was starting to get upset and told me that it was OK. I wanted to blurt out that I wasn't gay, but he said "Let me show you something" and pulled his wallet out of his pocket. He fished out a picture and said "This is Melody, my daughter." I said that she was beautiful, which was an understatement. The happiness I saw coming out of the picture was almost physical. "She's gorgeous" I said. "Yes" he said, "She was. She passed away almost 10 years ago." I said I was sorry. He said "Last month, when we did your physical, I think you'll agree that what we saw was a bit outside the norm for a male. I'm not just talking about your toenails, but your eyebrows, the lack of hair and your general feminine appearance. It kind of troubled me." By this time, I was pretty much in tears (as I am now writing this). He told me to let him finish and again told me to calm down. He said, "I really don't concern myself much with that. That really doesn't phase me. I'm concerned, because you remind me so much of my daughter, Melody. What you've done to your body to fit in to where you think you belong is just what she did in the early years." I was looking a bit confused at this point. He said, "Let me explain. Melody, my daughter, started out as Michael, my son. She went through the same things you did at the beginning. She eventually started her transition, but not before AIDS took her away from her mother and I. That's why I'm so concerned for you. Forgive me for asking this, but are you using protection for each encounter?"

To say I was stunned was a bit of an understatement, obviously. Finally, it all became clear. He thought I was either gay or a transsexual. That's why the repeat visit and the AIDS test. My relief was immense. I eventually convinced him that I only dressed for fun, had never had a sexual encounter with anyone other than my wife, and was pretty darn straight. I think that he felt relief as well, after I finally convinced him. I was able to show him some pics on my iPhone of me dressed. He said I was beautiful - not as beautiful as his daughter (true dat!), but a beautiful woman just the same. He assured me that what was discussed in that room was in confidence - not only as Doctor-Patient, but as friends.

So, it looks like I dodged a serious bullet. It looks like I get to stay in and serve. I am feeling very, very relieved. Isn't this roller coaster ride called life as a crossdresser one of incredible ups and downs? Life is funny that way, isn't it?

Kathi
    Last edited by Kathi Lake; 07-13-2009 at 04:18 PM.

WoW

Sweetheart I've been in the military for 12 years and I would never EVER expect to have something like that happen to me. Though it give's me a little faith that maybe there are some actual understanding Doc's in the military. I'm soooo happy for you though that everything worked out .
    [SIZE="3"]"What a Long Strange Trip it's been" [/SIZE]

Sorry, only read part II. Kind of got what happened in part I.

Wow was that ever a neat ending.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silver Member
    Kathi, i am very happy that this all turned out so well for you. What do you think the odds are of having a military doctor who had a son that was also a transsexual. I am sure you are very relieved to know this doctor will out you and possibly ruin your military career.

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Jaw dropping, head spinning. I guess it is a small world . I'd still be a bit freaked .
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

Banned Read only
    Gee, Kath!

That story wasn't only a relief for you but a terrific uplift for all of us.

You met a military man who was a real mensch and a TG supporter, too.

His experience could have left him bitter, but, thanks be, he became empathetic.

I hope he passed along some of his humanity to his underlings before he retired.

I think you should stay in touch with him!

Congratulations! ... to you and to him!

Kathi -- I was holding my breath as I read part II, waiting for the other shoe to fall. And as I read on, realizing what was transpiring, I could feel the tears welling up -- for the doctor's losing his daughter and for his compassion toward you. I guess this is one case where there is happiness that you weren't outed, yet some sadness because of the reason why the doctor understood.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Trans Adventurer supreme RobertaM's Avatar
    Wow , this story has got to go into the top 10 list. Fantastic. Wow I felt your stress sitting there.

May I post this this story (names all removed) onto my local CD support group site?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vancouver Home 2010 olympics!

Smile

[SIZE=4]WOW all i can say is WOW[/SIZE]
    Mistybtm

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar

BriannaD formerly Alyssa
    Kathi, I was holding my breath reading it and just about passed out!!. Glad it worked out so well for you.
    Last edited by briannad; 07-13-2009 at 05:12 PM.
    No Woman wants to date a guy who owns cuter heels than her! Brianna

It is what it is
    Simply amazing... my jaw dropped reading this, my heart was going pretty quick as I read the story, and BAM! total plot twist! You were on the precipice of the rest of your life, and lady luck smiled!

It's nice to know that the military medical corps still is like when I was in. I spent 2.5 years at Fitzsimons Medical Center as an enlisted 91T (they still have those I think). My first day there I saluted a Major, got scolded for saluting a doctor who didn't consider himself and officer and the next 2 plus years I enjoyed the "country club" atmosphere of the medical corps. (only saluted the General after that). I am sure that there are doctors (and nurses) who play the whole hierarchy game but most just want to take care of the troops. The higher in rank the more human they become.

I am glad this worked out like it did. The Colonel seems like a truly caring man. He will be missed after retirement. I am sorry about his daughter, that disease should never have been allowed the foothold it has now (won't go into politics), we have lost too many good friends.

OK one political rant, it is time for Don't ask don't tell to go away. Our military deserve that much
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

What was the Doctors reaction to what you told him and how did you tell him?

Your amazing story

Kathy,
    I read your original story and was a little concerned about your career. What an amazing turn of events. Of all the docs you got this one. I think in some ways your encounter was good for him as well. Great story.
    Fiona O

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Oh, Kathi, I'm crying my eyes out. OMG. I have no idea what to say, usually I am never at a loss for some smartass remark but I am speechless. Tears are running down my cheeks. I so feel for your doc and for you as well, my dear. Crap, I can't stop crying.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Unbelievable

is what it is. I thought the same as everybody else. Thank you for serving.

Katie

Sometimes Murphy's Law worked on your side; not for me tough.

I'm really happy that all ended well.

Wow, Kathi, it's a very cool and unexpected story.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Kathi,

Two thoughts ran through my head as I read your post. First, maybe there is really hope for us and the world is changing little by little. Second, my were you really lucky.

That was a terrific story.

OMG Kathi! Through tears, I gotta say, you ride the big roller coasters, girl! Once you do retire, you so seriously need to write your memoirs. Should be good for at least 5 seasons on television!
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

[SIZE="2"]Kathy,
    My heart was in my throat while I read your Part II story. I was exhausted and elated when I got to the end. Thank God that you ran into a true soul caring, Doctor. My best and prayers to you and your unit.
    [/SIZE]
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    Now that doc was a for real man. I do feel for him and admire his honesty and feelings for you
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Omg I was holding my breath reading your post and at the end a [SIZE="4"]HUGE [/SIZE] sigh of relief.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

All I can say is wow, not the reaction I'd expect from a colonel. Of course most of the ones I know are infantry or one of the other combat arms.