Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming out to my wife this evening, wish me luck.

Coming out to my wife this evening, wish me luck.

So my wife and son have been visiting her family for the past week or so. (They have wisely escaped the Texas summer for more reasonable July weather of Wisconsin.) I've spent much of my free time this past week discovering myself:

** I painted my toes for the first time.
    ** I posted my first message to this board with a few pictures, after I got my first pair of shoes and a wig. I was amazed by the warm and heartfelt welcome I so quickly received from everybody here.
    ** I've read for hours and hours about who we are.
    ** I now know that gender and sex are both very real. I know what "gender dysphoric" means.
    ** I've taken multiple gender identity tests. (It turns out I pretty much right down the middle --"class three Androgynous")
    ** Danielle finally told me her name.
    ** I realized that Danielle doesn't really need a name. She and I are the same person. Of course it IS a beautiful name, so I think I'll keep it.

** I've relived dozens and dozens of deep memories, from childhood, adolescence, and into my adult life.
    -- I finally understand why I spent a couple of years in therapy in elementary school. In all thoses visits, I can't rememeber a single conversation about gender indentity. I just knew that I was sad and alone.
    -- I understand my childhood migraines.
    -- I understand why I only dated a few women in my life, and why each time I grew close to a woman we formed an emotional bond that was very strong and very confusing.

** I've cried, a lot.....
    ** I've smiled, a lot.... I've never known how to really smile; simply relax and smile. I think I'm learning. It feels really good.

After 37 years of looking at a puzzle, but never really trying to actually put the pieces together, I'm finally putting things together. I credit this community with helping me through such a profound journey. Thank You!

Tonight I'm going to take a long walk with my wife and share my story. I'm so scared, but I know I'm ready. Wish me luck.

Danielle
    Danielle

Sounds like you've had a good week reflecting and discovering yourself

I wish you the best of luck!!

Just make sure you are prepared for what she has to say, all the questions which have to be answered honestly, because if you don't she's bound to find out later and want to know why you wasn't honest. If there is something that you really don't know the answer to then say so don't say what you think she wants to hear.

Don't expect it to be a bed of roses, and remember if she is ok with everything, then that's not the green light for you to go ahead and do everything all of the time. You may find that she wants boundarries, try to compromise with these but don't push toi much.

Take it at her pace and as usual talk, talk, talk and then talk some more.

Also let her know about this forum and the FAB forum

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Silver Member
    Welcome, sister!

Isn't it wonderful fitting together all those jigsaw pieces that used to make no sense and finally seeing the picture it makes? I hope your SO embraces Danielle. As has been stated here so many times, go SLOW and let your SO absorb the news at her own pace. Hugs and good luck!

Hi Danielle

Good luck for tonight

Please read the link in my signature it may have something in there you have not considered
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Danielle,

Good luck! I have been where you are and I remember I was pretty prepared. I had a few books for my SO describing gender idenity issues. I had already been seeing a therapist but I suggested that my SO visit a therapist who was competent in gender issues so she could understand the condition. Finally, I bared my soul completely (and it wasn't easy--I told her everything that I had done in my life).

She reacted with confusion and some anger but learned from what I gave her and in the end we were saved by our mutual love. Be prepared to give her time and show her your love!

Good luck Danielle. We'll all be pulling for you. Just be honest and open and let your emotions show. If she can feel your emotions she should empathise with you.

Let me know if you need to chat. I'm another Texas girl.

Kisses,

Allie

Danielle, good luck with tonight and I hope it goes extremely well. Give your wife time to accept and understand it even if she fully accepts and welcomes Danielle. It is a huge step, but one that should help you better embrace and heal yourself. We will be there with you in spirit.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Good luck and best wishes!

Just take it slow, v e r y slow. Even a strong marriage that has survived numerous catastrophes over the years can be damaged by revealing this secret about yourself. Go back thru the archives & read some of the posts about this subject then make your decision. I wish you the best of luck.
    just north of crook county,in the land of Lincoln(if he could see it now)

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Best of luck, Danielle, to you and your wife and the rest of your family as well. I can't offer any advice to add to what the other girls have already said, except to emphasize complete honesty and to be ready to bare your soul and be asked questions that are going to make you think really hard about who you are and what you truly want in your life and your relationship.

If your marriage survives the initial disclosure there will still be hard sledding (yeah, no snow in Texas, you know what I mean). Some spouses try to deal with it and decide after awhile they just can't no matter how hard they try, some say they're okay with it and are on the phone with a divorce lawyer the next day and in a month or two you will come home from work to a bare house and the papers stuck to the wall with the scissors that were used to cut up all your girl clothes. Be prepared for any eventuality, hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones.

Hugs and good wishes...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Wishing you lots of luck. Hope everything goes well. xxx

Silver Member
    Good luck Danielle. I hope everything goes well for you.

Good luck, hope all goes well!

Senior Member joannemarie barker's Avatar
    good luck hun,hope it goes as well as possible

all good luck too you!! i admire you!

Danielle, I do hope all goes smoothly for you & her.

I dunno if "Hi dear how was the trip? Everyone well? You look rested. By the way I wore girl stuff all week while you were gone." is the best approach. But I wish you the best luck and I hope that everything works out as planned or even better.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Just an average girl Carole Cross's Avatar
    Good luck Danielle. I know how you must feel right now after coming out to my family recently. The important thing after coming out is to keep the communication going and anwer any questions as truthfully and honestly as you can.
    Your wife may need some time to take it all in and I hope that she will react positively and I wish you the best of luck.
    living the dream

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Dannielle,

Remember there will be a reaction that my not be what you expect. You have spent 37 years attempting to figure out the puzzle and only recently figured out an important part of it. Your wife hasn't even been looking at that particular puzzle so it will take some time to get her attention on the parts that will help her understand what you are getting at.

Try to help her see that your focus is keeping your relationship strong while meeting needs you have been struggling with. Give her time, time and then a bit more time and your ears open. You will want to explain your situation but it is more important to be ready to answer all her questions first. And her questions will very likely be very different from what you expect. Take a deep breath and good luck to both of you.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Best of luck Danielle! We are all behind you and only wish for you the best outcome. Keep honesty on the forefront.

Best of luck Danielle. Be open and honest and tell her you love her. Be careful not to become angry if it does not go the way you have planned. Remain calm, this takes time to digest. Her first reaction will probably not be the same as later reactions. I will keep you and your wife in my thoughts and prayers.
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="3"]Roxanne[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]
    [/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    i really wish you well

Good luck, I'm pulling for you. I wish all the best for your family. I hope I'm wrong, but since all this seems very sudden, I fear she is going to be wicked PO'd. Don't walk anywhere there are broken bottles or pointy sticks nearby.
    Mary

PVC Crazy Member iwearstockings's Avatar
    good luck.
    Peace through superior dress sense..