Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever fear for your safety while out?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    if you ever shot someone here, you'd be in prison for it, whether it's self defense or not.

If you want to protect yourself, learn self defence, take up a martial art, weapons is not the answer, could you live with yourself if you shot a kid cus he tried to snatch your bag?

Self-defense or not huh? What a country! Sheesh...where's my passport?

Yes, I sure could. He shouldn't snatch anyone's bag. Mine, the least of all. Btw, where I live, it is legal to use deadly force to protect one's life OR property.

MissConstrued said it best though: "[SIZE="4"]Believe whatever you like. Just know that you're wrong, and know that you have the freedom to believe whatever you like because of men with guns[/SIZE]."

And some of you thought I didn't understand?!?

This thread isn't really about guns though. Heck, I don't always carry...sometimes I just poke my tongue at the bad guys, or sing a lil' song, maybe throw in a judo-chop! I rarely ever feel threatened and have never had any trouble TG-related.

O

Quote Originally Posted by Starr View Post
    Sometimes areas that seem very safe go wrong, i once had a girl pull a weapn and fire 3 shots at her boyfriend across the trunk of my car as he drove away. This was a very "safe" parking lot.
    naught for nothing but why was she carrying a gun and why was she shooting at her boyfriend in a public parking area across the trunk of your car? You just reinforced Tamara's point. If guns were illegal she would have had to throw a shoe and you would not have powder residue on your paint. Just sayin...

Now exactly where did those rounds lodge? Did you cover and draw down on her because she was blindly shooting?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Fab Karen View Post
    You have the freedom to believe what you like by being born.
    Try being born in China. North Korea. The West Bank. Shall I go on?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelofsomekind View Post
    What I always hear about weapons is that most people who have them, don't know how to use then, and end up getting them taken away and used against them.
    So, you can either continue to fear weapons and be a victim...

...or you could learn to use your weapon. But you didn't think of that, did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    If guns were illegal she would have had to throw a shoe

Guns are illegal in Washington, District of Corruption, and Chicago now too. Ah, no more gunfire!

Come on, Lorileah... you're smarter than that. Does anyone stop speeding or dumping used motor oil in their backyards because it's illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by MissConstrued View Post
    Come on, Lorileah... you're smarter than that. Does anyone stop speeding or dumping used motor oil in their backyards because it's illegal?
    I am not that naive, sister I am totally aware in this country (even in lieu of the constitution) there are so many illegal hand guns that they will never go away until something better comes along. You are trained (and several others here claim to be) in the proper use of a firearm (except carrying a cocked and loaded magnum on your passenger seat with hollow point ammo) but there are just as many, and probably more who are nothing more than shoot-em up cowboys (think of the lead slinging in North Denver where nothing is hit or some poor teenage girl who was walking home from getting ice cream). We know that most of the cheap poorly made and inaccurate firearms are in the hands of cheap, poorly made wannabes. Which brings up why you feel the need to carry. I hope you never get in that situation. Somehow I think you reserve that as a last resort.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    Your first link doesn't work, the second link is not applicable, the third link took me to a nasty virus download, so I dread to think what is on your pc now and the fourth link is not about what I said either. Let me say it again, in the UK, you have NEVER been allowed to carry a gun in the streets. The gun laws here are regarding keeping them in your home, which is also against the law unless you have a damn good reason and a license. But that's besides the point, if you ever shot someone here, you'd be in prison for it, whether it's self defense or not.

If you want to protect yourself, learn self defence, take up a martial art, weapons is not the answer, could you live with yourself if you shot a kid cus he tried to snatch your bag?
    Self-defense, like many issues, is a very personal matter. But you are wrong in saying that in the UK you were NEVER allowed to "carry a gun in the streets." Between 1870 and 1920, there were no national prohibitions against carry. That changed with the Firearms Act of 1920. As you know, there have been many more restrictions (bans) placed on ownership since. Again, you are welcome to your opinion, but your statement that "weapons is not the answer" does not reflect the reality of a 5'4", 120 pound women facing a couple of 6'1", 220 pound thugs bent on rape. Despite the popularized image of stunning Kung Fu kicks, once things get to grappling distance, the woman is at a serious--if not fatal--disadvantage. I don't believe anyone here advocates shooting a "kid because he tried to snatch your bag." Owning and carrying a gun is a huge responsibility. but please don't denigrate those who make the choice to take responsibility for their own safety, and that of their loved ones. I hope and pray that none of us ever have to face such decisions. Peace and love to you all.

I can't improve on NaughtyMichelle's response about personal defense.

Back on topic however, I always fear for my safety when going out. That is the number one reason I haven't been outside the house in almost two years.

Agreed, most people are non-violent. Still, it's not hard to see 300 people just walking down a downtown city sidewalk (crossdressed) for a few minutes. If only 1% of only men are violent, odds are still better than even that you will be confronted, and perhaps, worse.

Going to a concert? Forget it. Not for me anyway, not in Kansas.
    Hugs,

Bernice

I go out enfemme everywhere, big cities, small towns, and while traveling. I do not have fear when out enfemme. However I am always aware of my surroundings, and I do not go places where it is dangerous, I am big enough and strong enough to do some serious damage to someone should they try to cause me any harm. I have used physical self defence while dressed enfemme, and yes I inflicted some very serious damage to the man who attacked me, he was not able to hurt anyone after I was done with him. As far as I am concerned we have nothing to fear but fear itself. I now enjoy the freedom I experience enfemme since I have broken the shackles of fear.

BTW I have a c.c. permit.
    Last edited by vivianann; 07-22-2009 at 01:06 PM.

I yam what I yam,

Red face Loaded

A gun without ammo is deadly. When a perp can see the weapon, particularly a wheel gun in which the loads are clearly visible when it's staring you in the face, the reality effect is startling. In the incident I related I was directly under a bright street light in the wee hours of the morning. The perp came within inches of the driver side window where the business end of my Magnum was less than 2 feet from his nose. He didn't need superman's vision to see robbing me was a losing proposition for him. The .357 wasn't cocked on the seat, but It was loaded, of course. People unfamiliar with revolvers can and will assume all manner of unrealistic things, of course. I've been robbed at gun point in places I didn't think I was vulnerable and was unarmed. I knew, in this instance, I was vulnerable and took precautions. Rest assured the .357 was no purse pistol and I no longer own it anyway. In fact, since I never venture into those parts of the city, I don't even own a hand gun any more. I have no need to venture into the seamy rotten gut of the city, so I don't feel the need for any sort of "equalizer". The situation in the UK was mentioned. The venerable "mother land" has a very different culture, is a much smaller place, is probably a more homogenious society with less of the things that "breed" crime.
    I'm a girl of 'early to bed, early to rise. That makes me healthy, not weathy, but wise."
    Jaye

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyMichelle View Post
    Between 1870 and 1920, there were no national prohibitions against carry.
    I hardly think that is relevant to this century...

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyMichelle View Post
    Again, you are welcome to your opinion, but your statement that "weapons is not the answer" does not reflect the reality of a 5'4", 120 pound women facing a couple of 6'1", 220 pound thugs bent on rape.
    Well you tell that to our police force in this country. I happen to be 5'4" tall and a woman and I do karate, which includes self defense. One of our trainers is probably about 6 foot and pretty well built. I have no problems kicking his butt in our self defense classes. Please don't put us smaller women in the 'oh I'm going to be raped cus I'm so small and defenseless' crap category. Violence, doesn't beget violence, you're more likely to have the gun taken off you and be shot with it, than protecting yourself with it.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Relevant to this perhaps?

"Let me say it again, in the UK, you have NEVER been allowed to carry a gun in the streets"

Never is a long, long time.

It's ok though; we won't hold that against you... O

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    Also, and this may be the most important question, how do you get blood stains out of pantyhose?
    Hi, stranger...

Quote Originally Posted by maryklinden View Post
    ..both, unfortunately, tend to give "false security" to the bearer
    That would be my experience. When you don't have the security blanket, you're more aware, much more wary, much less confrontational..

Quote Originally Posted by MissConstrued View Post
    Guns are illegal in Washington, District of Corruption, and Chicago now too. Ah, no more gunfire!
    And just how many illegal guns do you have floating around, because you make and sell so many over there?

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    That guy was me. I was innocently strolling through the park and I saw this really scary couple of women - in fact at least one of them looked like a man dressed up. Right there in full view she dived into her bag for a gun! They were obviously muggers.

Boy, I headed out of there in a flash and phoned the police, but the couple had disappeared by the time they arrived.

Just goes to show, we law-abiding folk have to keep our wits about us. Whaddya mean, paranoid?
    Katie, you beat me to it..
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

As others have said, I have really never had a dangerous experience while out dressed. I do try to pay attention to my surroundings and do not put myself in harms way.

I have felt like a vulnerable female just once. Last year I went to testify in Boston. We got into the State House at 9am but didn't finish up until around 9:30pm. I walked out and into the streets and then realized it was now after dark, most of the businesses were closed, and I had to walk across the public common. There had been reports of the increased crime rate in the common at night. At this point I knew how women feel all the time when out by themselves. It was not a good feeling but it helped me appreciate their lives in just one more way. Needless to say that I paid particular attention as I walked to the parking garage and had plans to kick off my sling-backs and run if need be.

I find the UK versus the US gun law fight particularly boring. Argue about proper behavior with guns and situations but comparing the UK and US will always be apples and oranges. The US has a much more diverse population both by ethnic origin and culturally, a huge size difference in area, 500% the population, and other than English being the unofficial national language, very different places. Lets find something more interesting to talk about!
    Sally

I don't feel even slightly scared or feel the need to carry arms or know self defence when i go out dressed

I have my own personal minder.........SHEILA

I don't post much on the forum any more, but back when I posted a lot, I was a stalwart proponent/encourager for going out, assuring the "fraidy cats" that most of the danger is imagined. And it is true that for years I've been going out without a single unpleasant, let alone dangerous, incident. But as serendipity would have it, in the last month I've had three separate encounters that prompt me to add a word of caution and advice to this thread.

Fortunately, each of the incidences amounted to not much more than verbal harassment, but any one of them had the potential to escalate into a physically threatening situation had I reacted unwisely. One of the situations could have gotten nasty had I not been able to simply get in my car and drive away, and the thought did occur to me at the time that having a weapon in the car would have been a comforting thing. But in the most alarming incident, I am satisfied that it was the cell phone in my hand, plainly visible to the cretin involved, that made him walk away -- that and the fact that while I was careful not to antagonize him, I showed no fear either.

Now, I'm a Texan, and I have no problem with law-abiding citizens owning hand guns. I own one myself, and would be willing to use if there was no other way out. But for us gurls out and about, discretion really is the better part of valor, given the choice, and don't underestimate the power of a cell phone as a defensive weapon.

Now if I could just find a phone with a built-in taser ...

If you do your research violent crime is *NOT* down in the UK - it's UP - and it was hidden from the UN.
    The UK got popped for reporting like 80 homicides when in reality it was closer to 16,000.

In an effort to make it "appear" that a gun ban is reducing violent crime.
    Knives scare me far worse than guns....

Here is such an example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-control.html
    Last edited by Scotty; 07-23-2009 at 12:11 AM.
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

Silver Member
    nope never have felt physically threatened---use to carry some pepper spray in my purse but never used it----never felt like I had to---speaking of the District of Corruption I just moved here where there is currently a big debate going on about gun control---the U.S Supreme court having over turned the Districts law outlawing the ownership of firearms last year---I'm amazed as I walked down the street at the number of armed security guards in this city---almost every building including mine has a private police force all armed with pistols--just at a glance I would say that there are more armed private cops here than any place Ive ever been and it doesn't make me feel any safer to see a bunch of rent a cops with little or no training packing heat.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Try being born in China. North Korea. The West Bank. Shall I go on?
    They have the freedom to believe what they want, even if it's not legal to display that belief, simply by being born.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

A girl should always use protection!

Attachment 93637

Last edited by LilSissyStevie; 10-06-2009 at 12:32 AM.

I like your pic Lilsissystevie. you are ready to do battle with small army

Got to LOVE the humor. What a picture .

I gotta say this---- "If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns" BTW thanks Katie, I'm may be ugly, but my wife is cute.
    just north of crook county,in the land of Lincoln(if he could see it now)

As I said I avoid places that are dangerous so I feel safer. I have learned that I should avoid Texas and Florida from this thread Oh and to go out with MissConstrued if I need protection
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

Gun Control;The theory that a woman found dead in an alley,raped and strangled with her own pantyhose,is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound!

Am I supposed to believe it's better to be a victim and a stastic,thats the reallity of it.
    Drink up me heartys,yo ho!

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    If you do your research violent crime is *NOT* down in the UK - it's UP - and it was hidden from the UN.
    The UK got popped for reporting like 80 homicides when in reality it was closer to 16,000.

In an effort to make it "appear" that a gun ban is reducing violent crime.
    Knives scare me far worse than guns....

Here is such an example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-control.html
    LOL - if your only evidence is the Daily Mail, you're in trouble.. Look at the standard of the comments? And 6 deaths in 60 million for the whole country is huge by comparison to the US, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by LilSissyStevie View Post
    A girl should always use protection
    But how do you use it? You can only carry it over your shoulder - it's not balanced for one hand - you can't aim the thing, it'll be useless at any sort of range... The only thing it looks good for is taking off door hinges?

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Lynn View Post
    Am I supposed to believe it's better to be a victim and a stastic,thats the reallity of it.
    And people who quote things like that are just implanting a climate of fear. How often do things like that really happen?
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]