Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ever fear for your safety while out?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki B View Post
    LOL - if your only evidence is the Daily Mail, you're in trouble.. Look at the standard of the comments? And 6 deaths in 60 million for the whole country is huge by comparison to the US, isn't it?

But how do you use it? You can only carry it over your shoulder - it's not balanced for one hand - you can't aim the thing, it'll be useless at any sort of range... The only thing it looks good for is taking off door hinges?

And people who quote things like that are just implanting a climate of fear. How often do things like that really happen?
    How often do they have to happen?

btw, I would love to hear more about your time behind that MG in the open turret? That sounds interesting. O

Aspiring Member

No matter where you go, there you are.

>>>And given the nature of who we are, I would say that there is a high percentage that do the same. So what do you do to keep safe, are you proactive or reactive.

Both proactive and reactive.

But first, what's this "nature of who we are" stuff? "We" as men in dresses, "we" as people in the wrong body? "We" as people always in the wrong because, "That's just wrong!"? "We" as people sometimes in a tight spot and alone?

Pfffftttt.

It's the same deal, no matter who "we" turns out to be.

Be proactive.

Think about things that could go wrong - and think about what could be wrong with your responses.

The entire "knife and gun" debate really centers on where the things are when you need them. If you have a HAND gun, or, a PALM knife at the ready when you need it - great! Odds are, however, most the time you'll have to "draw" and that takes time and the other person is not just going to be standing there counting to five...

Be reactive. Consider where you're going and arm/disarm accordingly. Same as when you're in a situation and you realize things could be about to change. Again, a drink glass, a shoe, a sharp poke in the eye might be more useful than any gun or knife in the same situation. And, consider NOT escalating a situation. When confronted, do NOT whip out your knife, they, and/or their pals, may then think it a good idea to whip out theirs. Can o' worms that you opened...

Long story short, be aware, get some practice at both attack and defense, and don't be a punching bag. Or, if you're going to be one, be a tougher one and one that will punch back.

It's not a dangerous world, not really. But, you don't want to walk around blindly or stupidly. No one solution fits all situations and the more you know, the less advantage "they" will ever have.

Good question. Too bad it's all about knives and guns in most the responses.

Bricks, pens, hands, pins, knees, rocks, elbows, teeth... All those things are handy too and most the time you don't have to make any special effort to have them with you. Some of them are always around...

Oh, and no, I am no more concerned about my safety, one way or the other, depending on how I am dressed. If I have a problem, I'll figure out something to do about it and it will be about the same response because I always walk about with the same brain, head, hands, feet, etc.

Only the accessories change...

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    The most recent numbers I can find on firearm related homicides per 100,000 people

U.S 3.72 (2004/1993)

Britain .15 (1994) that is 5% of the US. By extrapolation using the logic that guns decrease homicides then if England allowed guns, there would be even less. Does not hold up does it? By contrast having a gun ban decreases homicide deaths 95% (at least in Britain)

# (Krug 1998) EG Krug, KE Powell and LL Dahlberg. "Firearm-related deaths in the United States and 35 other high- and upper-middle-income countries.", International Journal of Epidemiology 1998. [2] Statistics among 36 countries between 1990 and 1995.

These trends also coincide with suicides (7.5 and .2) and unintentional deaths by firearm. (.59 and .3 respectively, there is a closer relation here because they still allow hunting in Britain).

All of the statistics of the Brits being more violent (more crime) may be true but assaults with firearms are lower and the numbers indicate that if we did arm the Brits the statistics could be worse.

Here is another interesting tidbit
    "Suicides accounted for 55 percent of the nation's nearly 31,000 firearm deaths in 2005, the most recent year for which statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

More than 90 percent of suicide attempts using guns are successful, while the success rate for jumping from high places was 34 percent. The success rate for drug overdose was 2 percent, the brief said, citing studies."

The right to bear arms is listed in the constitution (second amendment) and won't be going away. Interpretations will change. Carry a gun if you will. The OP was how do you protect yourself. I will take some credit for the off topic arguments but lets get back on topic here
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

With or without carrying a firearm being aware of whats around you and avoiding places and situations that maybe unsafe is most important.You must practice and train yourself to do this whether in The United Kingdom or the US.It's too late to close the barn door in the US as to guns-they are out there and the outlaws will not give them up.Most and statistics prove this, of the people killed or injured are indeed the bad guys,some of us good guys get in the way or go nuts occasionally.Avoid,run,change direction,scream,shout fire and fight like hell but never submit!You odds of being injured are dramatically greater if you give in to any demands.But again awarness and avoidance is the best defense.As a former Marine and Viet Nam vet I do have some other options,and in Michigan you can carry a concealed weapon and yes some of us civilians are as well or better trained than the average police officer.That is my statement on the use of firearms.

To answer the original question. I am not scared of bozos, only the cops. I don't want my hobby to be public knowledge. For the bozos, I figure I can take most of them. And who wants to be beat up by a transvestite! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post

The right to bear arms is listed in the constitution (second amendment) and won't be going away.
    "A well-regulated militia being necessary..."
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

c'mon Katie, didn't you read all those posts about how dangerous Britain is? Now France, nice quiet little country, don't want no fight Oh and Italy...always wanted to be pinched.

And yes Karen, that is how it was supposed to be interpreted but congress and the supreme court have read it differently.

Damn off topic again
    Last edited by Lorileah; 07-24-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

And yes Karen, that is how it was supposed to be interpreted but congress and the supreme court have read it differently.
    So, who says it's otherwise? "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."...seems pretty clear to many of us.

Please note that the Second Amendment doesn't give us the right to keep and arm bears though.

Come on now, please let's stay "on topic". O

But guns isn't what this thread was about, is it - and it's sooo predictable how threads here about guns go, people get so fiercely protective.
    It's always the same. People have entrenched positions and posts on an internet message board aren't going to change the way they feel...

Can I refer you to post #24?

Quote Originally Posted by maryklinden View Post
    Odds are, however, most the time you'll have to "draw" and that takes time
    Most of the time - by a very long way, nothing's going to happen.

It's not a dangerous world, not really. But, you don't want to walk around blindly or stupidly. No one solution fits all situations and the more you know, the less advantage "they" will ever have.
    Indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaM View Post
    To answer the original question. I am not scared of bozos, only the cops.
    Why? I feel safer when the boys in blue are around - trouble is much less likely to start.

c'mon Katie, didn't you read all those posts about how dangerous Britain is?
    Ah... Friday night, down the pub in the town centre? Lord Wellington said of the Brits 'I don't know what they do to the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me...'
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Can I refer you to post #24?
    Why? Please feel free to believe what you want. It really is OK. I don't live in fear. I do take precautions. I am a responsible gun-owner who takes the responsibilities of that ownership quite seriously, much as I take the Second Amendment. If that bothers you, or any others here, then , well, I'm sorry. You have the right to believe as you want in the UK (at least for now) just as we do here in the United States.

On topic: Although I sometimes carry a pistol, I don't always and I have never had to fear for my safety while out. I am out so seldom en femme that perhaps I just haven't had the exposure to that type of behaviour. I did enter a support group meeting at an Austin restaurant with two other crossdressers and heard a bit of laughter from a male diner. Heck, he may have just heard a funny joke or maybe he thought we were amusing. I didn't feel threatened though. Hehe, well, at least two of us did have pistols in our purses.
    O

Olivia

Quote Originally Posted by Fab Karen View Post
    "A well-regulated militia being necessary..."
    Well Regulated - by definition means - equal to "Regular army" - read the constitution about males 17-45 being in the militia and required to have their own rifle of same make/caliber. It's spelled out pretty clear.

But we're not here to argue that, for *OR* against.

To protect yourself, use Martial Arts - period - you can't stop bullets with it but you can protect yourself.

Mace (CS) or Pepper Spray (There is a difference) - you can get lax with it and forget it, lose it, get your purse stolen.
    Cans go flat or lose their pressurization - too much reliance on an object..

I am for firearms, HOWEVER - you cannot carry firearms into places that serve alcohol.......so those are out..

I cannot get my hands stolen, Karate literally means "empty hand" - learn it or take some self defense classes but practice practice practice.

Or take up boxing and buff out, but at least with Martial Arts you'll work up some hip muscles and get a feminine shape !! (There is some validity to that but the excercise rocks).
    Last edited by Scotty; 07-25-2009 at 12:23 AM.
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

I've actually thought I was going to die twice in my life, due to crappy carbon based life forms.........& I wasn't even dressed at the time. The thing is, listen to your gut instinct, don't be naive, and be prepared for anything. Don't let worrisome "what-ifs", rule your life, but then again don't walk around with blinders on.
    So I like dressing like girl. BIG DEAL!

Be aware of your surroundings and who is in your area. I always carry a auto blade or a piece when I can. But I find that using common sense and not doing stupid things in the wrong place works for the most part. I have not been out in public dressed yet so I can't say what might happen when I finally do that. Again, I think common sense will prevail. Had one situation in PV, Mex where being in the moment and aware of what was going on saved the day/night. My gg at the time and I were being stalked by a couple of would be muggers, once I picked up on what was about to come down was able to redirect and avoid the situation. Common sense and gut feelings will never let you down.

Tonya

Get with the times. There's only one interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. You want to talk reasonable gun control, fine, but it's a right as much as the other 9 first amendments. You cannot refute English grammar, the debates behind the BOR, all early court cases, etc. The only inclination that it is not an individual right is from 20th Century leftist courts. In other words, the enemies of freedom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AmandaM; 07-25-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Why does this discussion have to be hijacked to talk about the freedom to carry guns...

Why? Please feel free to believe what you want. It really is OK. I don't live in fear. I do take precautions. I am a responsible gun-owner who takes the responsibilities of that ownership quite seriously, much as I take the Second Amendment. If that bothers you, or any others here, then , well, I'm sorry. You have the right to believe as you want in the UK (at least for now) just as we do here in the United States.
    And yet, so many of you do appparently live in fear - that's why you cling to your security blankets - a fear incomprehensible to so many of us who don't live in a society where they are so very readily accessible.

I'm not afraid of guns - to me they are tools - but in the hands of people who don't really know what they are doing, they can turn an unpleasant incident into a really bad one. (And I'd count many of the police firearms officers I've met in that category).

But my major problem is the false sense of security (and power) they engender. I used the word 'security blanket' in a previous post, but no one picked up on it - it's so very true..

On topic: Although I sometimes carry a pistol, I don't always and I have never had to fear for my safety while out. I am out so seldom en femme that perhaps I just haven't had the exposure to that type of behaviour. I did enter a support group meeting at an Austin restaurant with two other crossdressers and heard a bit of laughter from a male diner. Heck, he may have just heard a funny joke or maybe he thought we were amusing. I didn't feel threatened though. Hehe, well, at least two of us did have pistols in our purses.
    But if you had felt threatened, you could have killed someone? That sort of thinking is where there there is such a huge cultural difference..
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

But if you had felt threatened, you could have killed someone? That sort of thinking is where there there is such a huge cultural difference..
    Please, what part of "responsible" do you not understand?

Listen, carefully, if I felt like my life was being threatened, or the safety of my family was in jeopardy, yes, I could kill someone. Do you mean to imply that you would(or could) not? Well, that is your decision to make and live with. I am quite comfortable with mine. Would I want to kill another person? Of course not. I'm quite aware of the moral, legal and social ramifications. If you are comfortable in your culture, with your attitudes and mores, then good for you. Live your life that way. If you don't understand our culture, then get over it. All the Pollyannas in this world will not change the reality.

Our "culture" (and I use that word loosely, lol) seems to, in turns, fascinate, repel, confuse, amuse and just confound the devil out of many of you from overseas. There are myriad reasons why we are so different from our cousins in the mother country. One of them is that the original colonists from England were the people who weren't afraid of the New World. They risked their lives just making the voyage, and when they arrived, they were faced with a howling wilderness, where death was a daily possibility in so many ways. They were the people who sought a new life free from so many religious, social and political restraints found at home. They were the type of people who, in short, took care of themselves.

Today's American culture owes a lot to those colonists and settlers. Americans are a different breed. Brash, assertive, bold,(yes, and here one may add all sorts of adjectives both fair and foul) they are the progeny of that original impulse to brave the Atlantic Ocean and tame a continent full of danger, beauty and potential. Thank you for those first English-Americans. I believe they were a far-cry from so many now clinging to an ever-increasing "Nanny State", looked to hopefully provide everything for it's citizens from the cradle to the grave.

Nikki, no doubt you mean well. You just don't get it. But that's ok. I don't get your rationale either. But, ya know what? I'm just alright with that! You should be too! O

Please, what part of "responsible" do you not understand?
    Well... The bit I quoted?

If you don't understand our culture, then get over it. All the Pollyannas in this world will not change the reality.
    But often what people here see as 'reality' is not always how others see 'reality'. Reality is always only relative. Unfortunately some americans seem to assume that theirs is the only reality and that they must be right. Just look back up the thread to see that there are other possibilities?

Nikki, no doubt you mean well. You just don't get it. But that's ok. I don't get your rationale either. But, ya know what? I'm just alright with that! You should be too! O
    Precisely. That implies both sides need to listen and try to understand - not immediately assume the other is wrong? Very rarely in this world is there only ever ONE WAY?
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

<<And yet, so many of you do appparently live in fear - that's why you cling to your security blankets - a fear incomprehensible to so many of us who don't live in a society where they are so very readily accessible.>>

I think it stems from Lexington and Concord, where the British Army was ordered to march on the armory and confiscate all civilian arms. Civilians were ordered to store their arms in the armory previously. The colonists got wind of that, and the rest is history. I do not fear men. I figure I can take most of them anyway. But, I am suspicious of anyone who says I cannot be armed. Based on history, this is a logical suspicion. You say paranoid fear, I say those who won't willingly arm themselves to possibly defend themselves are ignorant of human nature.
    Last edited by AmandaM; 07-26-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Since you wont get away from gun talk

This thread is closed
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations