Thread: How often do you update your wardrobe?

How often do you update your wardrobe?

Hi all

Was just wondering how often you go through your stuff and clear out the old/outdated clothes and get new stuff. For myself, just last week I went through my panty drawer and got rid of a bunch of the old/worn pairs, and ordered a bunch of new stuff from Victoria's Secret. My fav are the new string bikinis, but they have some really nice lace hiphuggers too - which I'm wearing right now in fact .
    Dresses and skirts I tend to hang on to, for some reason. I've had some of them for well over 10 years. Bras too - doesn't matter how long I've had them, they tend to stay in the drawer, even if the elastic is deader than dead. Blouses and fem shirts come and go more frequently, maybe every couple of years or so.

How about you?

Crysten

I bring new stuff home every week.
    The old stuff? That's what closets are for!

All the Best,

SS

I'm always adding to my wardrobe, but I never get rid of things unless they get to small.
    Cary

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Hi Crysten-

Kind of what the other girls said, I don't go through and weed out things like some genetic women I have known in the past who wouldn't wear anything from last year or something like that. But I do get rid of things if they're wearing out, or I just don't like it anymore, or it doesn't fit, or whatever. Usually I'll offer it to someone I know (not the worn out stuff and certainly not underwear, of course) and then it's off to Goodwill where I probably got it in the first place and hopefully some other girl may get some use out of it. And, oh yeah, I am always getting new stuff, so it's more like rotating things in and out, than wholesale tossing of stuff and replacing it all.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    Last edited by Joni Marie Cruz; 07-21-2009 at 12:23 PM.
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

re: how often

usually buy new things 2x a week

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    I go in spurts with buying new stuff. Lately, it seems that I've been shopping a whole lot (as my many posts here can attest). I love Fall colors and styles and have been going nuts with the purchases lately. I can't help it - I'm a sucker for pretty stuff!

As I am recovering from my last purge (both in frequency and that this is the LAST time I will purge), I don't really have much to throw away this time.

Kathi

I am constantly updating my wardrobe all the time.

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    I'm currently running Wardrobe 6.1. Thinking of upgrading to 7 but I've heard a few horror stories about doors falling off and limited hardware support for shoe racks so may wait 'til 8 is released.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

I am always adding to my wardrobe - I have stopped that habbit of "throw out everything - I am never going to dress again" - cos I will and I know it!!!!!!LOL

"A girl can dream and when you cannot dream there is always shopping lol!"

I am constantly updating my wardrobe, and shopping is one of my favorite pastimes. When I head out, I usually don't have anything in particular in mind and tend to be an impulse buyer for whatever catches my eye and what my budget can afford. I am also a sucker for 50%, 60%, and 70% etc. sales, and like many GG's part of the fun for me is the thrill of the hunt. I also know the sales cycles of my favorite stores, and never, ever pay full price.

In those particular cases where I see a "must have" article which hasn't been marked down yet, I wait until it goes on sale and then pounce. Other times, I will buy an item at full price that is in popular demand just to ensure that I get my size before it is sold out, but still making sure at the time of purchase that it is within the window that a particular store will allow for price adjustments for items that subsequently go on sale.

Sometimes I also get lucky. There have been a number of times when a skirt, dress, or a pair of shoes etc. that I have had my eye on is simply out of my price range or stubbornly refuses to be marked down, and I ultimately concede defeat. Then, out of the blue, when I am shopping the end of season sales, the gods have been known to smile favorably upon me and I am suddenly confronted by the very item I had given up for lost - and not only is it on sale, but miraculously, available in my size as well. And even sweeter are those occasions when on top of everything else, that sought-after item on sale and in my size also happens to be the last one left! If only I were as lucky with lottery numbers .

As for purging or culling my wardrobe, what's that all about? That's a foreign concept to me, and isn't that what God created extra closets, attics, and outside rental storage units for . When it comes to that, I subscribe to the thoughts expressed in the title of that long-ago album by Rod Stewart - "Every Picture Tells a Story".

Virtually every item I have ever bought has some special memories attached to it - the first pair of heels I ever bought in person (and in drab), my first cocktail dress, the first leather skirt, my first pair of women's' boots, the first outfit I bought shopping en femme, the first item I bought that I actually tried on in a store before buying (both in drab and en femme), the first item that a GG SA helped me try on and zipped me up in etc., etc. - the list goes on and on.

All those items represent very precious memories to me in my journey to becoming who I am today, and I would no sooner give away or throw out any of those items than I would consider getting rid of the pictures of my children that show them growing up into the fine young adults they are today.

I'm still building my wardrobe so I don't get rid of too many old things. I have a few items that after a while I no longer like or never fit great in the first place (sure, it will give me incentive to lose some more weight. Haha).

Well.......I guess I update it quite often. But "update" is not a real good word for it, since my entire wardrobe is considered "vintage" clothing by today's standards. So instead, let me say that I "add to it" on a regular basis. I'm not real crazy about the current styles. I can clearly remember when women enjoyed dressing rather nicely, even when they were going casual. They might wear jeans or some other casual pants, but they might also be wearing a nice sweater or a pretty blouse with them. So even my "new" stuff is often rather old. And I still get lots of compliments on my clothes, so this old stuff must be pretty appealing! Every so often, I find that I have too much stuff, and I weed out the stuff that I never wear, or doesn't fit as well as it should.

I do a little window shopping on a daily basis, depending on what I'm in the mood for. When I find something I think is real pretty, and the price is right, I might well go for it. And so it gets added to my wardrobe. I can go for a month with nothing new, and then find three or four items that I really want. So I "update" often, but irregularly.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Former Member
    My wardrobe has really improved the in last two years. Before that I only had a few outfits that would be considered styleish.

I do still have my mini skirts from the 1980's, so I don't throw much away.

I clean out my closet when no more stuff will fit . . .
    Pssst. . . I'm about there again too!

Banned Read only
    I'm always adding when I get the chance to, but if I don't want something anymore I give it to my wifes friend if my wife doesn't want it.

Gold Member
    I'm still trying to build mine up!!!!!

Many of our closets get cleaned out when we purge...

I try to limit my purchases to clothes that are "timeless". The LBD will never go out of style... Also, it is amazing how certain styles keep recycling and the recycle time seems to be getting shorter and shorter...

Robyn P.