Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice insight wanted

I still keep up with this site but haven't posted in a long time. I'll break my silence on this one because my opinion is a little different than the others, and I think it's important to get a spectrum of opinions. I'll leave out the details in the interest of brevity.

I'm over 50. I think it's important to note that almost none of us on this board can relate to being 15 and having the information at our disposal (and our mother's) that is available today. I have no idea how that changes the situation, but I'm sure that it does so, dramatically.

When I was 15 I thought that if it was okay with my mother, then it really didn't matter what anyone else thought. I was also sure that whe wouldn't guide me into anything harmful, or that would be negatively percieved by society at large. If you think about it, at least as it relates to cding, these two things can be nearly opposite. In my 15 year-old cding mind, I made them the same. I think it'd be pretty natural for a 15 year old to pick bits of the most satisfactory (for him) ideas and mold them into reality. It's quite a tightrope for a mother.

I think it'd be very difficult for a teenager to differentiate between reluctant acceptance and encouragement. Again, him choosing the most positive, he'd see it as encouragement. Not only for his current object of desire (panties), but for extending his experimentation wht all things feminine. I make no suggestion on exactly how to handle it, only that you do it with this in mind.

For me with my mother, the examples are numerous. Since I'm not writing a book, I'll give one...

Long hair is a good example. My mother reluctantly accepted my long hair as a teenager. Once it was long enough to roller set, she encouraged, if not demanded, that I roller set it. She had done this when I was little, when it was "cute", but eventurally cut my hair and staunchly demanded that I keep it short, until she finally got sick of my crying and complaining about getting a haircut and gave in. As a teenager, most of the time that I was in the house I was in curlers. She rolled it for me until I learned to do it myself, and even then she frequently did it for me. I slept in curlers almost every night, and when school was out and during the summer I stayed in curlers well into the day, sometimes just leaving it up through the next night. She was not secretive about it. A couple of the neighbors knew. I even accompanied her to the grocery store in curlers several times. After we started rolling it, there was no limit placed on (or even talked about) as to the length of my hair. It got longer and longer, and the rollers got bigger and bigger. She went from fighting with me about the lenth of my hair to praising me for my beautiful hair.

This was so accepted/encouraged that it was literally years into early adulthood that I realized how uncommon and unaccepted it was for a boy/man to roll his hair. Even now I don't quite get it. I know it, but I don't quite get it.

There are lots of examples of this kind of stuff in my life. We never sat down and had an open discussion about any of it. It was done in bits, without a lot of discussion. For me, I guess it's worked out okay. If she'd ever given me her full-on support, I have no idea how it would have effected the rest of my life. For most of us, this is a delicate balance. As an adult, I've had many forays into the pink fog. Sometimes way too far, and some of the horrendous results are well documented on this site (divorce). It's often very difficult to keep under wraps, expecially when people you love, and love you, are accepting (or seem to be).

While no one here would even suggest that you forbid all crossdressing, I, for one, would not suggest full-on acceptance or encouragement. You have to provide guidance that somehow strikes a balance between self acceptance and getting along in a less-than-accepting society.

Just my opinion. I know many will disagree. Utimately, that decision is very personally yours.

Mother,

I belong to another forum that has a member that is trans that has a sone with Asperger's. She is willing to talk to you, perhaps give you some insights into both that you might not otherwise get.

If you would like to talk to her, email me off list, bobbim74@yahoo.com, and I will happily put her in touch with you.

Grace,
    Bobbi

A quick answer.....Buy HIS set of underwear for him?
    Then, with luck, he may leave yours alone......

Sonia

Paula, I would say on the conservative side to buy him some panties, bras what ever else he seems to be borrowing of your and your daughter and place them in his drawer. I can guarantee he will find them and wear them.

Let him approach you when he is ready. Does your daughter know his extent of dressing? Does she have any issues with it?

Quote Originally Posted by joannemarie barker View Post
    cos a few years later he said I looked ridiculous when he caught me wearing a dress
    So he couldn't possibly still be a CD then, of course..
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Lipstick Lez at heart! celtic.blue.eyes's Avatar
    What a fantastic mom you are! And such an outpouring of wonderful advice, which I won't even attempt to repeat.
    I do agree with TxKimberly's statement about the stealing aspect. This is something he must learn, and allowing him to steal some planted items may backfire on you in the long run.

So just to throw in my 2ยข worth (or should that be 2 pence), you may want to consider talking about how stealing is wrong, without being too specific on what was stolen (save him the awkwardness). Then give him a gift card to a store that carries the things he may want and then some (like Sears or J.C. Penney on this side of the pond). Tell him to buy any pretty things he wants with it, and when it's used up, he can give it back to you for a "refill". It may allow him to satisfy his needs, and realize that you accept him, without the embarrassment.
    God's finest work of art is that of a beautiful woman.

Single and loving it ;) alexis GG's Avatar
    Hi Paula and welcome to the forum.... I would like to say what a wonderful person you are for being willing to accept your son for who he is, foibles and all ... I have a 15 YO son that has ADHD, he has his own set of foibles. Does your son go to CAHMS? ? If so then make a seperate appt with his family worker and discuss this with him/her so as not to embarrass your son. That way you can get any info first to be able to help your son with the crossdressing issue before it is mentioned in a joint meeting. I had to do a similar thing about one of my sons inclinations.

I would also be inclined to buy your son his own pairs of knickers that he prefers as I'm sure your daughter gets a miffed at hers being nicked all the time. Maybe just put them in his undies drawer so that he can find them or ask your daughter to swap knicker drawers so that he isn't actually nicking hers.
    Last edited by alexis GG; 08-03-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Long gone

My wife teaches autistic children, her's are lower functioning than yours but if you'd like to hear her ideas about it please do let me know.

Banned Read only
    Being accepting is a great first step. I know I would not be able to talk about it at 15, and with my mom, I doubt I ever could with her. I think that is the healthiest thing for you to do. I've known one person with Asperger's, and I know he was pretty far out there sexually (much more than your son it seems) and certainly struggled for fear of what his parents would think, a quite socially conservative lot. So making it clear you're fine with it, regardless of whether he wants to talk about it is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Melora View Post
    Aspergers Syndrome...
    I have never heard of this yet, And I am a Med student with 2 years of psych behind me
    Are you serious?????

Anyway Mom, if he doesn't know you know... you're in a bit of a tight spot, aren't you? Thinking back to that age (which is about when I first discovered it myself) I would have been mortified to find that my mother knew what was going on. On the other hand, if that same mother was able to help me understand what I was going through she could have saved me 20 years of wondering whether I was gay, whether I had a medical problem, whether I was going to get SRS, etc.

I just can't think of any way to open the conversation that wouldn't give the poor kid nightmares about being so exposed. I have a friend with an Aspie son about your boy's age, and it's very difficult to predict how he'll respond to intensely emotional situations. Most of the time he won't even react; it's like talking to Spock. Then other times he'll fly off the handle at the slightest whim, or go into a deep depression with talk about killing himself. Unfortunately only you are in a position to gauge how he'll react if you decide to bring it up.

In any case, good on ya for seeking more information instead of panicking or shunning him. We may not be able to help much with the conversations you're going to have, but you will find out a lot from this site about what motivates us, what we can and can't do, what we do and don't desire, and more.

Duality sometimes hurts.. PetiteDuality's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean View Post
    I still keep up with this site but haven't posted in a long time. I'll break my silence on this one because my opinion is a little different than the others, and I think it's important to get a spectrum of opinions. I'll leave out the details in the interest of brevity.

I'm over 50. I think it's important to note that almost none of us on this board can relate to being 15 and having the information at our disposal (and our mother's) that is available today. I have no idea how that changes the situation, but I'm sure that it does so, dramatically.

When I was 15 I thought that if it was okay with my mother, then it really didn't matter what anyone else thought. I was also sure that whe wouldn't guide me into anything harmful, or that would be negatively percieved by society at large. If you think about it, at least as it relates to cding, these two things can be nearly opposite. In my 15 year-old cding mind, I made them the same. I think it'd be pretty natural for a 15 year old to pick bits of the most satisfactory (for him) ideas and mold them into reality. It's quite a tightrope for a mother.

I think it'd be very difficult for a teenager to differentiate between reluctant acceptance and encouragement. Again, him choosing the most positive, he'd see it as encouragement. Not only for his current object of desire (panties), but for extending his experimentation wht all things feminine. I make no suggestion on exactly how to handle it, only that you do it with this in mind.

For me with my mother, the examples are numerous. Since I'm not writing a book, I'll give one...

Long hair is a good example. My mother reluctantly accepted my long hair as a teenager. Once it was long enough to roller set, she encouraged, if not demanded, that I roller set it. She had done this when I was little, when it was "cute", but eventurally cut my hair and staunchly demanded that I keep it short, until she finally got sick of my crying and complaining about getting a haircut and gave in. As a teenager, most of the time that I was in the house I was in curlers. She rolled it for me until I learned to do it myself, and even then she frequently did it for me. I slept in curlers almost every night, and when school was out and during the summer I stayed in curlers well into the day, sometimes just leaving it up through the next night. She was not secretive about it. A couple of the neighbors knew. I even accompanied her to the grocery store in curlers several times. After we started rolling it, there was no limit placed on (or even talked about) as to the length of my hair. It got longer and longer, and the rollers got bigger and bigger. She went from fighting with me about the lenth of my hair to praising me for my beautiful hair.

This was so accepted/encouraged that it was literally years into early adulthood that I realized how uncommon and unaccepted it was for a boy/man to roll his hair. Even now I don't quite get it. I know it, but I don't quite get it.

There are lots of examples of this kind of stuff in my life. We never sat down and had an open discussion about any of it. It was done in bits, without a lot of discussion. For me, I guess it's worked out okay. If she'd ever given me her full-on support, I have no idea how it would have effected the rest of my life. For most of us, this is a delicate balance. As an adult, I've had many forays into the pink fog. Sometimes way too far, and some of the horrendous results are well documented on this site (divorce). It's often very difficult to keep under wraps, expecially when people you love, and love you, are accepting (or seem to be).

While no one here would even suggest that you forbid all crossdressing, I, for one, would not suggest full-on acceptance or encouragement. You have to provide guidance that somehow strikes a balance between self acceptance and getting along in a less-than-accepting society.

Just my opinion. I know many will disagree. Utimately, that decision is very personally yours.
    This is a very important observation, specially in the case of somebody with asperger's syndrome. People with Asperger's have issues understanding social conventions, and I can see a problem coming here.

I don't think it's a good idea to send hidden clues to somebody with asperger's (like making underwear miraculously into his belongings). They sometimes don't get these clues. Talk with him directly, very honestly, with lots of acceptance and love (that's the easy part for you, you are a great mom).

But also put him aware of the possible consequences and about how to balance crossdressing, about respect, about not using others' people clothes without their permission (specially intimates). This could lead to some other undesirable behaviors later in life.

I have a son who has Asperger's Syndrome. For all practical purposes he is normal. But then I think most 15 year olds have many of the "symptoms" of Aspergers. It seems this is getting more and more diagnosed since it first came out in 1981. I think just being 15 year old is a lot more important than the Asperger's aspect. Like you said it is hard to talk to him.

I think you've done it pretty well right on your own. I would make him talk to you alone. "Force" him to help you pick out his own undies. Tell him that you won't tell his sister and generally will never talk about it again, unless he wants to talk about it. He needs it to be a secret, it is apparently very embarrassing to him. If in doubt you may want to ignore the problem and just buy yourself and your daughter extra knickers.

Good luck!

Thankyou everyone for being so welcomeing and offering a wide and varied selection of advice and loads of insight.

I tell you though im no angel...but thanks for the complement..im just someones mother and you just get on with it no matter whats thrown at you.

Ill let you know how we get on.

The knickers i placed on his bed with the words ive bought you something pleas dont take our things anymore.........have been worn..........i think hes doing it on a night when he goes to bed i think he sleeps in them.

I wont bother talking to him about it anymore but i may buy him a second paire just so hes got a choice......he likes lace and satiney stuff...........