Thread: Word to the wise

Chewies sister-moulted!

Word to the wise

I'm very lucky , my partner knows and supports Shelly - pity the wardrobe where I keep all my clothes , wigs ect did'nt behave in the same manner . I was sitting downstairs surfing the net when from upstairs came a loud crash . I flew up the stairs only to be greeted by the site of the wardrobe I use having burst open ( tis normally locked ) clothes , wigs , shoes everywhere . The hanging bar in the centre having snapped ( my own fault really having crammed far too much in there ) had caused the whole thing to virtually collapse . What a mess . The poor old piece of flat pack build it yourself wardrobe had been installed in the home ( screwed to the wall ) by the properties previous owner . It tore from the wall and has made a nice couple of holes that need repairing . The overall result , now the bedroom needs repainting , a new wardrobe ( much larger in size ) to be obtained and a darn good sort thru all of the clothes I no longer wear .
    One things come to mind .......all those blouses ect are now stored in the back bedroom before its all been sorted , imagine if my partner did,nt know about Shelly - omg what could I have used as an excuse ??
    I suppose really it brings home the question of how we store ( or even for those who hide ) our clothes .
    Now all I need to do is reach an agreement on what colour to repaint the bedroom................
    All this needs sorting , and at present my desire to dress is the highest its been for some time . Patience is indeed a virtue .
    Last edited by Shelly67; 08-07-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Well I have to say first you are lucky to have a supporting spouse.The other stuff is a easy fix. Even us girls can handle that.

Banned Read only
    The hanging bar in the centre having snapped ( my own fault really having crammed far too much in there ) had caused the whole thing to virtually collapse . What a mess .
    Yup, all those marvelous duds of yours just yearning to breathe free! Sounds to me like they need a room of their own, hunny, not just a cramped little Ikea thingy!

Get busy, Missy!

The other day I had to make a decission as to storing my clothes also. I added another wardrobe for my guy clothes and then rearranged Teri's clothing so they will not get wrinkled. No for the dressers, to many panties and bras.lol

Huggs Teri

These things happen for a reason. Now you'll have a nice big robe in a spruced up room!
    K.

Wow! An exploding closet - glad nobody was injured

There is no getting around needing space to store clothing. If you pack it all in too tightly, everything will get wrinkled which defeats the purpose of hanging altogether.

I use 2 rods in each closet. The bottom one is high enough off the ground for most dresses and the top has enough room for skirt suits.

Good luck,
    Ann / SS

A new meaning to "Bursting out of the closet" LOL

Platinum Member

Sounds Like

Your story sounds a bit like my story I've broken the rods in two different
    closets there now is a 3/4" steel pipe with support brackets in each.
    Every thing is well hidden in plane sight.
    .................................................. ..............thanks..........ORCHID

Lucky Me, my wardrobe is one of those "metal cabinet" ones.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Aspiring Member
    Whimsical white is a cool color. It is a very lite pinkish purple color. very femme. Home Depot sells it as the Behr brand.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    The portable wardrobe I bought can't hold together worth a darn. The rods are held on by the holder swiveling to go around their end, so if there is too much weight on them then after a time they just slip out and everthing falls down inside. I'm considering crazy-glue as a temporary measure, but I suspect that won't work over the long run. (I'll have a look at putting a nut + bolt to hold the ends in place.)

I'm currently using two wardrobes and six large plastic tubs, and it isn't enough. Mind you, one of the tubs contains little other than my male socks and undies that I never wear any more (though I should keep a few of those socks for skiing.)

Hmmm....if your spouse was not supportive, I doubt you'd have been using a locked chiffarobe to store everything in. She'd have wondered all along what was in there.

As for an excuse, well, sometimes there is no excuse but the obvious truth. "Uh, honey? There's something I've been meaning to talk to you about....."

Good luck with the repairs!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

I can definitely sympathize! I've had an epic closet fail like that before. The aftermath and cleanup were not fun at all.

Did I learn my lesson? Apparently not... In our current place, all of our clothes (wife's plus my femme and drab) are hanging up in the same closet, on a 10' run that is affixed to the lower closet shelf. It's packed. Even the shelf is stocked full of clothes.

Whenever I look at that closet, my nerdette side starts mentally calculating load stress, torsional force, materials strength..... It's an avalanche waiting to happen. And yet, it's like an experiment I can't stop.

Sigh. I really should do something about it before it comes down and buries the cat.

As a show of support to you and your exploding wardrobe (talk about a wardrobe malfunction!) , what sizes are you? Maybe some of us can alleviate some of your storage's burden.. lol.
    "Oh f*ckkk!! Chick's a dude!" - from textsfromlastnight

me: I wonder what it'd be like to play golf en femme.

wifey: It's hotter and sweatier.

Sorry to hear about your closet collaspe. After something simular happened to me, I started using clear space-saver Rubbermaid totes. It made a world of differance and it gives me room for more shopping.
    Cary

So your desire to dress has increased Michelle,probably because you went up there and saw all those sexy clothes everywhere,lol.I know just going in my cding closet puts the spark in me,even just putting the key in the lock.