Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Out

First Time Out

So, instead of slitting my wrists, I decided to just do what I needed to do. Booked a trip to NYC. Planned to spend most of it in my preferred clothing. Got eyebrows waxed (nothing too dramatic), as well as the back. Shaved the rest, which took forever, causing me to miss my Saturday MAC consultation. Chickened out and just wandered NYC in boy mode.

On Monday, I manned up (so to speak), re-shaved, booked a new appointment at MAC, put on my clothes, set my Ipod on the new Shakira song ("She Wolf") and walked out the door. Demoralizing at first. On the way to nail salon, some goon made a big show of "Hey, that's a dude dressed like a chick!" I'm 6'5" in heels and 220 lbs. Not exactly a brilliant piece of detective work on his part. I wanted to ask him if he'd like to have his ass kicked by a crossdresser, but I just kept walking. By the way, 3" heels on new york city streets are way different than in the hotel room.

Salon hurt. All "Mister" and "Sir" from the staff, who insisted on shouting at me from the other side of the room. Afterward, just about went to the hotel room and gave up. I'm glad I didn't.

Went to MAC. Got a makeover from a super nice guy who was very sympathetic, noting how tense I was and reminding me that I was at MAC. Just about cried because he made me look on the outside the way I feel on the inside.

Back at the hotel, took tons of cheesy bathroom mirror pics. Then I went to a concert by one of my fav bands (TheStart). Mostly straight crowd. Generally, nobody cared. Got a few odd looks. Got a few smiles. Overheard one chick point me out to a dude, who replied that at least I looked good, which made me feel good. Felt like myself for once. Went back to the hotel happy.

One of the cheesy bathroom mirror pics. Do I look okay, or is it me?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Look okay? Are you kidding? Sweetheart, you are gorgeous. Good for you, the first time is the hardest of all, it takes a lot of courage to do what you did, don't think it doesn't. Hard for me to believe somebody would act like that in The City, yeah, you should have asked him if he'd like to have a girl kick his butt, again.<lol> Around here, Seattle, there are so many "alternative lifestyle" types around that a common, ordinary tgirl barely gets a glance.<lol>

You go, girl. More pix, please, btw.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

is in her vest
    you look wonderful.....do what i do and apply selective hearing when you're out.....i only process the 'nice' comments and let the derision pass overhead....i'm pleased you ended up having a wonderful time

Brave girl, and yes you look just fine, a bit punk for me mind you I am older.. ha ha,.. keep it up and stay the course you will do well.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmmatt View Post
    Went to MAC. Got a makeover from a super nice guy who was very sympathetic, noting how tense I was and reminding me that I was at MAC. Just about cried because he made me look on the outside the way I feel on the inside.
    MAC has a way of doing that don't they? I've had a makeover there (it was in San Francisco) and the feeling of encouragement and validation was almost overwhelming.

One of the cheesy bathroom mirror pics. Do I look okay, or is it me?
    You look cute! ... really good
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Banned Read only
    I wanted to ask him if he'd like to have his ass kicked by a crossdresser, but I just kept walking.

Ah, well, one of these times it will just pop out.

And you look pretty hot, I say... hope to hear of more of your adventures.

Congratulations. The fact that most people were either cool with it or didn't care is wonderful. Hopefully you feel comfortable enough to go out again.
    Sarah

BriannaD formerly Alyssa
    Way to go. I know it was tough and you kept your chin up. You look great, the next time will be easier and better.
    No Woman wants to date a guy who owns cuter heels than her! Brianna

look great! how was the show?

Thumbs up

You look cool. If this was your very first time out, you were very brave and just went & did it. Many of us weren't that bold the first few times out. And you should know that not every time out will get such comments. Maybe you picked a bad salon, some would be much nicer to you as a customer.
    Congrats girl.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

[SIZE=4]You look fantastic in your photo! Thanks for sharing the photo and your great story.[/SIZE]

Way to go and you look just fab!
    As for the people at the salon, I think that even as w ethink it should be, people sometimes still aren't sure what they SHOULD call us. Clearly we are trying to look like women, but htey know we are men. Maybe some peoples brains just lock up try to work that out.

I've had so much support that I can't imagine starting out by yourself and going out alone! That takes so much courage. You look great, and it does get easier.
    Sally

I really like your look. You also did a nice job of recounting your weekend, and how you felt. I waited waaayyy to long before I did a MAC makeover. Between professional wig counseling, and MAC, it was about the best things I have ever done, CD wise. You accomplished a lot for your first time out! Way to go girl!

You look great

Just blow of those - people. What they want is what you have. Integrity

It looks like you got a fantastic makeover from the MAC guy. I love love love your hair and nails, too. The clothes are a bit too young for me, but look great on you. Get out there and show your stuff!

- Diane

You look great in your picture. As the others have said you were brave going out, I still haven't done that, may-be I never will, who knows.

I nearly cried when I read your story. Most of us have been in the same shoes as you before and felt the same way. But it is all worth it when we finally look in the mirror and see the person we have always felt we were.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

And the show was amazing (For those into cool pop music with an occasional underground/punk vibe, check out www.myspace.com/thestart). My feet were killing me by the end of the evening though, because it was the first time I had spent that long in heels.

A Girl That Wants Out Emmalee_Summers's Avatar
    You look very pretty.

NYC Adventures

Glad you had a good time, overall. And regardless of what people may say, you are one beautiful girl.

Mmmmmmatt

Hi and welcome.a little bit of a play on your screen name.
    Mmmmm I also approve of your look(punk but fem)
    The make over sounds great shame about the salon staff not having the common sense to call you mam as you were dressed enfemme.Perhaps a nice card thanking them and suggesting how the experience could be improved.It may make you feel better to have the last word.(darn it that's the male side talking)
    Philipa Jane

Philippa Jane

you look great but i wood do away with the gloves

I think you look great. Wow!!!! Maybe next time go to Mac's first,then go get your nails or hair done. That should take care of the sir stuff. Because you sure look great in that cheesey mirror pic.
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

Woman and loving it Jennifer Marie P.'s Avatar
    Wow .You look gorgeous .