Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to be outed in a MAJOR way!

About to be outed in a MAJOR way!

One thing that's cool about twitter/facebook, but scary if you're a crossdresser, is its habit of automatically connecting you with "People you might know." via the use of your email address. What this means is that if you have a picture of yourself as your avatar on facebook, dozens of people that you haven't come out to are looking at you enfemme under the heading: You may know this person. Twitter I believe has something similar, as I was friended by 10 people almost immediately, most of which I hadn't come out to yet. So I've been friended by these people, and I hoped that they just saw me, thought I looked nice, noticed I was local and said "Well, she probably has a few friends in common with me, I'll go ahead and friend her." This idea was bolstered by the fact that, no one in the comedy scene that had friended me online as Violet has said anything to me in drab. That was like 6 months ago, so I forgot about it.

O.k., so before the show on Sunday, I'm standing around chatting with the other comics. Brad, the guy who runs the night, who also happens to be a professional writer drops this bomb on me:

"Hey, I've been talking with a few of the other comics.... I have an idea for a comedy sketch that's a parody of all the "Ghost Hunter" shows on sci-fi and the like. I'd like you to be in the sketch.... as Violet. Would you be interested?"

I should point out that I did not know that Brad knew I dressed. But I knelt down to pick up my jaw, and said "Yeah I'll do it." Also, I ended up hosting for the night and got paid which was pretty cool.

Then later on after the show, I'm talking to Bryan, another comic and Lu, one of the regulars. Bryan's all like "Man, you fooled the heck out of me at the convention. You should dress as a girl every day." I took that as a huge compliment then the conversation moved past that to upcoming shows. Someone mentioned that on October 4th Brad was going to have a "Ladies' comedy night featuring all female comics and instantly I saw a light-bulb manifest above Lu's head. She went and called Brad over and said, "You're having a ladies night. You've GOT to put Violet on!" Brad smiled, turned to me and said "Well? Do you want to ? I'll feature you!"

O.k., imagine for a moment that you were trying to break into your chosen career and the person hiring said, "Would you like to come to work as a woman?" Go ahead, imagine that, I'll wait....

EXACTLY.

Talk about both fear and elation. This is kind of like sitting down in a roller coaster you're terrified of. Most of the people who will be at this show do not know that I dress as a woman, but they will after this! But I'll be doing what I love, how I love to look! This could be a pivotal moment for me, but I'll just take it as it comes.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Violet, I say buckle up! The ride may be bumpy, but as most roller coasters are - it should be a whole heck of a lot of fun! Wow, I'm imagining getting to dress as I would like to at my current job. Mmmmmmm! Nice!

Have fun!

Kathi

Gold Member
    Well, there are hundreds of things like myspace or facebook where people just divulge their whole life. it is best not to put real personal info on there, yet, people do.

So much for Internet privacy.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    Well, there are hundreds of things like myspace or facebook where people just divulge their whole life. it is best not to put real personal info on there, yet, people do.

So much for Internet privacy.
    Apparently all you need now is an email and a picture. Scary, no?

Wow. Would you like to come to work as a woman? YES!!!

Break a leg, Violet.

Michelle

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Violet, I say buckle up! The ride may be bumpy, but as most roller coasters are - it should be a whole heck of a lot of fun! Wow, I'm imagining getting to dress as I would like to at my current job. Mmmmmmm! Nice!

Have fun!

Kathi
    I agree, remember RuPauls other job is in drab The other side is at least your working and who would say anything about that. Personally I would not even enter the venue en drab at all and just be en fem then change into the costume that way there is less to explain and for the most part unless you are very tall for the most part people would not even notice who you are.

So go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Violetgray View Post
    .......This is kind of like sitting down in a roller coaster you're terrified of.......
    Violet, I'll bet when you are done, it will be "no thing"!

I believe you have nothing to worry about and that your friends will respect you even more.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

Might be major. Fact of the matter is it's an industry in which it doesn't hurt to have a little extra something that sets you apart.

Do it, Violet! You look a lot better than many GGs out there!
    Kalina Isato, Tranny Hostess SuperCutie

Grae Phillips got her big break this way!
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    "Hey, I've been talking with a few of the other comics.... I have an idea for a comedy sketch that's a parody of all the "Ghost Hunter" shows on sci-fi and the like. I'd like you to be in the sketch.... as Violet. Would you be interested?"

I should point out that I did not know that Brad knew I dressed.
    This is all good news. I wish you the best. One thing it points out is that those who knew did not find it to be a big deal. They didn't even question the photo when they first saw it. Then they even wanted to include you. You either have great friends, or are in a great career or i think both! Way to go!

Leave it to technology to find new and better ways to get the word out about our other side. The fact that you just put it out there (all be it unintentionally) was cool too. It made it seem like less of a big deal to you. Just matter of fact. Here is another photo of me. I think that made it easier to accept. Kind of like you are saying shit is no big deal to me so it should be no big deal to you. Whatever, it worked!

You go girl!

Hey it worked for Dame Edna! If I could get an acting job always playing a woman, hell yes. My real job, no way.

Wow!

All I can say is WOW! I wish you the best of luck on this new facet of your career, at least it is going to be fun ( it is comedy after all, isn't it?)

Hugs and my best wishes,

Claudia Dawn

One thing that's cool about twitter/facebook, but scary if you're a crossdresser, is its habit of automatically connecting you with "People you might know." via the use of your email address. What this means is that if you have a picture of yourself as your avatar on facebook, dozens of people that you haven't come out to are looking at you enfemme under the heading: You may know this person. Twitter I believe has something similar, as I was friended by 10 people almost immediately, most of which I hadn't come out to yet. So I've been friended by these people, and I hoped that they just saw me, thought I looked nice, noticed I was local and said "Well, she probably has a few friends in common with me, I'll go ahead and friend her." This idea was bolstered by the fact that, no one in the comedy scene that had friended me online as Violet has said anything to me in drab. That was like 6 months ago, so I forgot about it.

O.k., so before the show on Sunday, I'm standing around chatting with the other comics. Brad, the guy who runs the night, who also happens to be a professional writer drops this bomb on me:

I should point out that I did not know that Brad knew I dressed. But I knelt down to pick up my jaw, and said "Yeah I'll do it." Also, I ended up hosting for the night and got paid which was pretty cool.

Then later on after the show, I'm talking to Bryan, another comic and Lu, one of the regulars. Bryan's all like "Man, you fooled the heck out of me at the convention. You should dress as a girl every day." I took that as a huge compliment then the conversation moved past that to upcoming shows. Someone mentioned that on October 4th Brad was going to have a "Ladies' comedy night featuring all female comics and instantly I saw a light-bulb manifest above Lu's head. She went and called Brad over and said, "You're having a ladies night. You've GOT to put Violet on!" Brad smiled, turned to me and said "Well? Do you want to ? I'll feature you!"

O.k., imagine for a moment that you were trying to break into your chosen career and the person hiring said, "Would you like to come to work as a woman?" Go ahead, imagine that, I'll wait....

EXACTLY.

Talk about both fear and elation. This is kind of like sitting down in a roller coaster you're terrified of. Most of the people who will be at this show do not know that I dress as a woman, but they will after this! But I'll be doing what I love, how I love to look! This could be a pivotal moment for me, but I'll just take it as it comes.
    I say rock it. People would LOVE you doing it.

But, on a completely different note, you can ensure your privacy by NEVER using the same email accounts / systems / logins between both of your 'lives' and it will be a real non-issue.

Just to calm people's nerves a little...

This is precisely why I do not have a Facebook as Marla. It's bad enough that a very cool friend of mine who moved to Seattle located my Flickr account. I can say this at least: I once told him I crossdress because he's the one person I know who I had no doubts about being cool with it. He's a very enlightened individual. But I think I'd like to control as much as I can who knows about this part of me and who does not. Tossing my whole address book, all my graduating classes from high school and college, and all my various contacts from other invasive programs is not my idea of control. I don't really care who knows me as a guy. But I do care who knows me as a woman.

That said, hey, break a leg, Violet! You rock.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    O.k., imagine for a moment that you were trying to break into your chosen career and the person hiring said, "Would you like to come to work as a woman?" Go ahead, imagine that, I'll wait.... EXACTLY.
    Holy cow!! that would be absolutely awesome! Do you think it has anything to do with the fact you're drop-dead passable? .... I do.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Semi Sane innocent angel
    There is a reason why I dont use my male e-mail address for my space.
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

One thing that's cool about twitter/facebook, but scary if you're a crossdresser, is its habit of automatically connecting you with "People you might know." via the use of your email address.
    This is exactly why my face book account for Sarah has an email address that is diferent to my male email adress.

On saying that though I hope it will be good for you to not only get your comedy out there but also to get your face (makeup and all) out there. This could just be the kickstart needed to get your career going.

Best of luck.
    Out'a my mind
    back in 5 minutes
    leave a message!!

It kinda sounds to me like you've been out and just didn't know it....

Sounds awesome. Sucks that it's a bit scary, but this could be really big. A crossdresser comic? There's already plenty of openly gay ones, was only a matter of time till a CD took stage. Break a leg!
    The Secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and MISS- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Keep your words short and sweet just in case you have to eat them later.

You can either be Happy, or Right. I'll take happy.

I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary. - The Late George Carlin

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxvictum View Post
    A crossdresser comic? There's already plenty of openly gay ones, was only a matter of time till a CD took stage.

Ummm.... what about Eddie?

Thats awesome i wish u the best
    Good bye i'm at wacko taco .com now

I think it is going to take you right to the top. I really do. If a cable guy can do it so can a cross dresser. It's gona be your little nitch in the comic scene.
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

Faith's Girl Kimberly Marie Kelly's Avatar

Smile Awesome the response's so far.

With those initial responses I'd say go for it and be outed in a big way. Kim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    With Love,
    Kimberly

"Count it pure joy when the world comes crashin
    hold your head up and keep on dancin" MercyMe

wow!violet i wood say yes in a heart beat