Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Therapist suggests that I go out en femme

Just a girl at heart too Kerigirl2009's Avatar

Therapist suggests that I go out en femme

I recently started going to a therapist at the U of M sexual Health clinic. First off I started going because I told my wife that I am a crossdresser, and it is more for her than myself. I am totally happy with myself. well I just had my first solo meeting with him and he made a few suggestions

#1 Try wearing mens underwear to see how it affects my mood?
    #2 Find an alternate place to dress
    #3 Go out en femme (completely dressed once a week)

So try explaining this to your wife who is not completely acceptable and has never seen me dressed.

The mens underwear, just can't do it They are so ugly to me and I hate them
    so I assume that my mood would be horrible.

An alternate place to dress, such as a unisex lockerroom at the YMCA (his suggestion) I think I would be asked to leave but would love to do this, just not at my families YMCA as my kids go all the time.

Go out en femme, I love the idea of this
    He is suggesting this because he believes that I am wearing my panties 24/7 because I cannot dress as much as I want to so I am compensating for innadequacies in the amount of time that I dress.
    I think he is correct here, What do you think, I would love to hear your opinions. Keri

Be clear on why you're seeing the therapist- to understand yourself better, or to work out the situation with your wife. ( Freud would note that you said she's "not completely acceptable" when you meant she's not ACCEPTING )
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

May I Suggest...

you find a support group to attend. I am sure there is one by where you live. Or, if you can swing it (money wise that is) to attend one of the many TG conferences that occur throughout the year.

I'm not too keen on the YMCA idea, some of the girls here dress in thier car or get a hotel room if you are not allowed to dress up at home. Of course that could be a negotiating point with your wife. For example, as long as she doesn't have to see you and the kids can't see you dressed, can you dress at home?

Hope this helps.

-Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

Shop around--you need a real gender therapist. Going to this guy will not fix your wife.
    My situation didn't improve after I saw a counselor who was not qualified.

determine why it is your seeing the therapist. is it for you or your wife. If it is for her, then she should attend as well. If it is for you, what do you hope to accomplish? Better understanding on why you dress? Permission to dress in private or public? Decide how far you wish to take the dressing and/or transition?

Just some thoughts

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Hi Keri-

I was just about to respond with more or less what Jennifer said. I get the feeling your therapist doesn't specialize in gender issues and is just kind of shooting from the hip. I'd look for someone else. That whole wear male underwear thing just sounds silly and the dress somewhere else, like a YMCA locker room, sounds potentially embarassing and even dangerous.

And, fwiw, if you can get your wife involved in the counseling/therapy thing, that would probably be good for both of you. Good luck, dear.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

I agree men's underwear are ugly.
    Exactly were is a safe place to dress other than home.
    Do the right thing. Tell your wife what he said or even bring her to your next visit. If she doesn't know about the crossdressing you might want to tell her first. I went to my wife's councilor and she (phys) was on my side about the crossdressing.
    Last edited by Sandra; 08-19-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: No need to quote the whole post

Get a new Therapist who knows about cross-dressing. You wife could use some also. She need to understand this is not something we just do. She needs to know it's who you are. IMHO dressing is therapy.
    Angie

I think you're a crossdresser, and that's why you wear women's underwear. I think you're finding justifications to negate the therapist's first two suggestions, although I admit that not all suggestions are workable. And finally, while I fully support your going out fully en femme, I think you're taking advantage of the therapist's suggestion to do so despite your wife's objections. I suggest you proceed carefully, or you'll only wind up pissing her off more than she is already.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Therapist said

The first time my wife cought me dressed she made the big deal about going to a therapist witch I did to apeas her. The therapist I went to, I realy don't know if she was a gender speachaltyor not, but we had many realy good conversations about me and what my life ment to me, and what dressing did for me. The hard part was telling my wife what she said about my dressing lol!!!!She (the therapist) said that if dressing was good for me then its good. If the wife didn't like it then she was the one with the problem and she needed to see a therapist. I didn't tell her untill a few months ago when I got cought dressing once more. I think she's ok with it (my dressing ) but I realy don't know. When ever I try to talk about it she changes the subject.
    Well something elese we need to discuss at lenght. well I guess Iv'e said enought LOL see ya'll later

If you're going to dismiss the things the therapist suggests that you don't like and put into practice only those you do like then you are wasting your time as well as the therapist's and your wife's.
    [SIZE=3]Stacye Rose[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Cleverly disguised as a normal contributing member of society[/SIZE]

I am not sure I agree with your therapist, I wear panties almost all the time, and since I have been layed off from work and haven't worked since the first of the year I have been dresseing about all day everyday. Which my wife is fine with. so I don't think that going out enfemme will help you stop wearring panties. However, please keep in mind I am not a proffesional shrink, so take my .02 for what it is worth -- about 1/2 a cent.
    Good luck with your decisions.
    Oh, by the way I happen to agree with Miss Stacye Rose, you really cain't pick the things you are going to agree with and dismiss the others. think about it, Hug from TJ Tresa

Ask him if you can dress in his office.

Hugs,

Melissa

Hi Keri,

First off, you need to clarify your situation in your own mind. Is going to a therapist to help you or to really appease your wife?

If you are going for you, my suggestion is to find a therapist who specializes in gender issues. It sounds like during your recent visit with this therapist, his suggestions were very generally to help you find out more about yourself (which is common procedure). The "how does your mood change while wearing mens clothes" is a common general therapy approach (insert whatever trigger you want here - e.g. for a fear of flying - How does your mood change when you go near an airport?). The "find an alternate place to dress" suggestion is somewhat troublesome to me - not because its not a good idea but because the whole YMCA thing can as stated above, be dangerous because its a public place. Find a hotel room or completely private place where you can dress on your own terms and not be bothered. Going out in femme is also a good suggestion but only if your are at that stage of your dressing and feel comfortable about it. You should not feel forced to go out en femme.

Finally if your wife's acceptance of you is at issue here, then your wife should be the one to embrace counseling together with you as a means to understand you better. From first-hand experience I can tell you that if your wife believes that you are going to counseling to get "cured" for her she will be dissapointed. It sounds as though she would benefit from therapy to understand you and what you do more fully. The bottom line is, one can't attend therapy for someone else.

Good luck,

Michelle

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerigirl2009 View Post
    Go out en femme, I love the idea of this. He is suggesting this because he believes that I am wearing my panties 24/7 because I cannot dress as much as I want to so I am compensating for inadequacies in the amount of time that I dress.
    That sounds like he belives that if you dress fully en femme enough, you are going to be ok with male underwear when you're in boy mode. I highly doubt this ... especially going on your current revulsion of it. For me, even if I dressed almost every day, I still would not want wear male underwear. I think he's got it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    Going to this guy will not fix your wife. My situation didn't improve after I saw a counselor who was not qualified.
    I agree. It's almost like he's suggesting if you dress enough on your own you'll "get it out of your system". Your wife should be part of these discussions so that you can dress (within her boundaries) at home.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I think they're RITE!

Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    determine why it is your seeing the therapist. is it for you or your wife. If it is for her, then she should attend as well. If it is for you, what do you hope to accomplish? Better understanding on why you dress? Permission to dress in private or public? Decide how far you wish to take the dressing and/or transition?

Just some thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    I think you're a crossdresser, and that's why you wear women's underwear. I think you're finding justifications to negate the therapist's first two suggestions, although I admit that not all suggestions are workable. And finally, while I fully support your going out fully en femme, I think you're taking advantage of the therapist's suggestion to do so despite your wife's objections. I suggest you proceed carefully, or you'll only wind up pissing her off more than she is already.
    Sounds like you're playing around with this whole "therapist" thing! If u don't really care about your marriage, then that's fine!
    But, if u do, bring your wife along, to all appointments, from NOW ON!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

What I read between the lines from the therapist is they are trying to figure out what CDing means to you. Based on my experience CDing, I think you will learn a lot about yourself if you experience the things you are so far too scared to try. Your wife is a separate issue, don't do stuff just to apease her. I think you just need to talk with her to reach some sort of comfort level. If you can dress at home when she is not there then try that and just wear something to cover up when you leave the house so the neighbors don't see (assuming your wife would have an issue with the neighbors knowing). I don't think I would use the YMCA unless I could change in about 5 minutes...but it is not that bad an idea (depending on how busy/private the change room is).

Quote Originally Posted by TSchapes View Post
    you find a support group to attend. I am sure there is one by where you live. Or, if you can swing it (money wise that is) to attend one of the many TG conferences that occur throughout the year.

I'm not too keen on the YMCA idea, some of the girls here dress in thier car or get a hotel room if you are not allowed to dress up at home. Of course that could be a negotiating point with your wife. For example, as long as she doesn't have to see you and the kids can't see you dressed, can you dress at home?

Hope this helps.

-Tracy
    Depending on what you intend to change, using an automobile as a changing room might be an invitation for a public indecency charge. This might apply even more in jurisdictions that limit the amount of tinting on car windows (helps police detect dangerous resistance during traffic stops). At the minimum underdress at home and only change shoes and outerwear in the car.

I may be off base here but from what you said, it sounds like your wife wanted you to go to a therapist so that you would be "fixed" and stop dressing. Why else would you go to a therapist if you are fine with it? My advice would be to have a long discussion with your wife so you both know where each other stands and what each other expects for the future. Then and only then can you determine who needs to seek counseling.

Thanks for the input you have shared,
    Ok the reason I am going to a therapist, is for my wife, I am perfectly happy with how my life is going, The idea of seeing a therapist was mine, for the purpose of getting my wife to understand more of who I am. We did go to the first meeting together. Now this meeting by myself I believe is so I can learn more about myself.
    I am not picking and choosing what this therapist is suggesting that I do. Before I go out en femme I would discuss this with my wife completely, as for wearing mens underwear I think that it is more of denying myself the pleasure that I associate with womens panties.
    The therapist is suppose to be a qualified CD therapist, according to the UofM
    I believe that once the therapist learns more about me, he will include my wife, although I am telling her everything anyways. Again thanks for your input.

Hi Keri,

I also have been going to a therapist and it was also at my wife's request. This all began because I made what I now consider a very serious 'mistake' and provided my wife with an honest answer to a question which she was unable to deal with. My wife knows about my dressing, but does not accept nor understand it. She insisted that I go and get help so that I would stop doing this "silly" thing. The question that I answered that started this whole thing was: "Have you ever gone out of the house full dressed?" I answered honestly by saying that I have been going out fully dressed for almost the past 2 years.

The sessions began with my therapist trying to determine if this was just a phase I was going thru, or if it was for real. Since he now understand that I have been dressing for over 50 years, he realizes that it is the real thing. After several months of weekly sessions, my therapist informed me that he wanted to meet Nicole and a session was scheduled for a time when I could attend as Nicole. That was almost 3 months ago and each visit since then has been as Nicole. Each Thursday has become the most wonderful time of the week for me as I get to be 'myself' from 8 AM until 4 PM.

The sessions have greatly helped me in better understanding myself and understanding that I have to try and think of my needs as much as I think of my wife's needs and wants. We are both at an age where our children are grown and on their own, so they are not a direct issue. I have always put my wife's wants and needs before my own and have always put her first. Now I am beginning, with my therapist's help, to understand what I have been doing to myself.

My therapist has recommended that we have a session with both my wife and Nicole meeting for the first time, my wife's stance has consistently been 'no way'. I have now reached the point where I am beginning to realize that my life is a game of give and take, I give and she takes. My therapist is now beginning to counsel me to understand that this is nearing the point where I will have to decide between a life with my wife or a life as Nicole and this is not a decision I am looking forward to making because I know someone is going to get very hurt in the long run.

Keri, be honest with yourself and your needs. Don't be quick to decide what is the proper or correct thing to do and don't be pressured to make a choice that will cause you to be unhappy as an outcome. By working with my therapist, I have discovered that Nicole has become the major part of me and that my happiness is found during the times that I can be her. With my wife's inability, or lack of desire, to understand my needs, she is putting us both in a position that will potentially leave her a very unhappy individual.

My therapist says to be honest with myself and to use this honesty to determine the right path for me to follow. He believes that I should become Nicole 24/7 as this is when I am happy. He also feels that I have to start putting myself first. Please think carefully when you make your choice and let your heart guide you.

Nicole

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    Shop around--you need a real gender therapist. Going to this guy will not fix your wife.
    My situation didn't improve after I saw a counselor who was not qualified.
    Check out his cedentials. The recommendation that you dress may be a good one but that should be decided over the course of a few sessions. He needs to understand you and your situation. By him suggestinng the Y makes me think he may not havea lot of TG knowledge. I spent way too much money training therapist till I found a place that specializes in TG?CD therapy. Now i use that term because it helps me understand who i am and where I am going as well as how to integrate Sara into my current situation. has he sugested you come to therapy dressed/ I would think this could give him a better incite as to who you are when dressed. MHO

It's not right that you should use your therapist's advice to justify going out en femme to your wife saying that that is the goal he set you if you are not willing to take on board his other suggestions and try the men's underwear

Ok what I was looking for was if anyone has had this said to them by a therapist. I am not using the therapist as an excuse to dress. Oh by the way I am wearing my mens underwear today. So far nothing different just think about it more. As far as going out the only way I will consider going out is with my wifes approval. This is my goal with my wife and if a therapist can help me get to that point GREAT. This is just the beginning, But I hope I am on the correct path. My wife and family are very important to me, but so is Keri.
    I have told my wife I do not wish to stop dressing, and actually I have told her I would like to dress more often. I have been doing alot a thinking lately and I am just looking for some outside input. Sorry I think I am a little edgey after reading some of the comments, I guess the thing is I am NOT looking for excuses to dress, just acceptance.

I dress to feel pretty Tina P Hose's Avatar
    Hmmmm, me thinks. That the guy could be a I seldom dress in panties under my male get up. But love to dress at home. I find men sexualy totally repulsive. But I find A pretty CD alluring, more than likely because I wish to look like her. Also, I have stabbed my mothers baby photo with a knife 100 times....just kidding
    From Madrid to Montreal that underneath it all that Tina prefers pantyhose