Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you think "passing " gets easier as one ages?

Aspiring Member

do you think "passing " gets easier as one ages?

Speaking as an "Older" gal, it seems to me that as men and women age they begin to look more and more alike....Both sexes are wrinkly and gray.....and I don't know about you girls, but I have enough extra flesh on my eyelids to supply an entire girl scout troop......

But my point is as I look at the photos of you gals that are close to my age, I think to myself...."Yeah, she could pass.....Rather well in fact"

I'll probably get flamed for this post, but I'd enjoy the comments ( and I mean no disrespect to any of you gals)

Danielle

younger is easier

it's hard to keep the weight off and skin soft the older you get so definitely younger.

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    I think it just depends on the person. I've seen some absolutely gorgeous tgirls of all ages. It would be so nice if age helped you pass, I'd be a freekin movie star.<lol>

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Quote Originally Posted by flickr_addict View Post
    it's hard to keep the weight off...
    Call me dense, but what does weight have to do with passing? It's not as if every woman in the world is a size 2.....

I think it is easier because when we are older we get the confidence that we need to pass.
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

I don't know and won't until I get older. But my guess is not because there are years upon years of masculine habits built up. Passing is not just looks... it is everything; how you act, how you stand, how you walk, etc. But then I could be wrong. I won't know until I get there.

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    Quote Originally Posted by paulaN View Post
    I think it is easier because when we are older we get the confidence that we need to pass.
    Couldn't have said it better.Gee Danielle Gee ( it ryhmes) seeing your profile picture you look great to me. I'm 62, an old broad from the children of the
    60's Woodstock generation ( I was THERE) and men and women do lose their specific gendered features as they age and become more homogenized. Also I have 10 times more confidence in going out and doing womanly things for a day than I did 20 years ago.

Keep in mind that makeup, lighting and selectivity in choosing one out of many photos to show presents a false illusion compared to if you were up close and personal. Half of us would not look at all like our profile or Avatar pic. I've been dressing and going out in public for 50 years... since 12. Got a lot of 'strreet time ' under my skirt... er belt I mean.

We should PM sometime and get to know each other, we have many things in common.
    Megan
    Last edited by Megan70; 08-20-2009 at 08:26 PM.

I'll have to think about why but my gut reaction is that one would have more success when younger.
    Mary

I actually think that it gets a bit easier as you go gray.

I think that for many, young=pretty=passable. I disagree. Personally, I'd rather look like a homely woman than a pretty tranny.

It's easier to be skinny when you're younger, but skinny doesn't equal feminine. Heck, Ike Turner was skinny.

As we get older we tend to gain weight, and it can help soften our features a bit. Also our testosterone goes down, and we get a bit more in the boob area. At the same time, women are going through changes as well, and at a certain point there's a kind of androgyny similar to when we were small children.

For that reason both really young AND older its easier to pass than in middle age.

I think younger is easier. Especially if you work outside. The weather hardens your skin, if you don't have an understanding so you don't treat yourself to skin treatments or oils just to maintain your masculinity you rough it out because you love you wife. I suppose when I get old enough it will get easier again but I'm only 57 now

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    I'm 46, but don't dress (or act) like it. Some say I don't look it. As I get older, I do find it gets easier - whether due to practice or otherwise.

Kathi

Oh that's not true. A lot of us old girls have a hard time passing. Not only that but.... bu.... Now what was I saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Gee View Post
    Speaking as an "Older" gal, it seems to me that as men and women age they begin to look more and more alike....Both sexes are wrinkly and gray.....and I don't know about you girls, but I have enough extra flesh on my eyelids to supply an entire girl scout troop......

But my point is as I look at the photos of you gals that are close to my age, I think to myself...."Yeah, she could pass.....Rather well in fact"

I'll probably get flamed for this post, but I'd enjoy the comments ( and I mean no disrespect to any of you gals)

Danielle
    There are a few things that jump to mind:

1. As an older person (I'm looking at 60 soon), the non-perfect skin isn't a dead giveaway, as rougher skin would be on a younger person.

2. The younger women don't give you the visual 3rd degree, since you're obviously not competition.

3. Passing gets easier and easier as the years go by, just due to face time in the real world.

4. In the straight world, I still get plenty of attention at places frequented by middle-agers.

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    I like Dilane's answers... I'll add this one little bit:

it is both ends where things are easier. Young folks have it good and older folks do too. It is those in-between where the problems come up !
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

I agree that the confidence and attitude get stronger as you get older. You also have a little bit of the "I don't care what others think" as you progress thru life.So easier to pass? Yeah, because maybe your not stressing the passing part like you used to, just enjoying the moments.I know that you meant the physical aspect, and I guess we all, men and woman ,get to that point where were just old people! And both sexes do tend to look alike,eh? Sometimes when you see a very old couple, if they were to switch clothes, they would look just like the same couple! So CD'ng at 80? Yup, you won't even have to shave!-- But then, there's Lena Horne!
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

I think that you're right. I also agree with the point that men and women begin to look more and more alike as they get older.
    I'd like to look really young, but when it comes to the physical aspects of passing, age helps.
    warmly, Linnea

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    It looks to me like I did better when I was younger. As men age their nose and ears continue to grow and I find it more difficult to adjust my makeup to deal with my larger nose. However, because of my experience I am more comfortable in this skin than I was all those years ago. Frankly, I didn't pass then and don't now, but care less about it now.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I would say that I think if I was trying to pass when I was younger it might be easier.. I never thought of passing back then though.. strangely enough I was more into the sexual pleasuring of myself back in the early days so I didn't even think of going out dressed at all.. in fact the early days was more of dressing in pantyhose than anything else.. wasn't till I got a little older that I started to appreciate how good the clothes actually felt.. what it meant to dress up.. and now I am going back to the old days of wearing less but feeling great without the worry of passing.. of course I'm still in the closet except for a few times this past spring...
    This is what I mean by "every guy can look like a girl from the right angles".. this is one of the first pictures of me dressed up.. very vague look.. almost fem...

Definetly easier to pass when 50 plus

You do not see any second looks because your eyesight has failed.

You do not hear any disparaging remarks because your hearing has failed.

You can't remember the last time you were read because your memory has failed.

I think passing gets easier with age only because I am gaining more experience at the technical/aesthetic aspects of it, I don't care as much what other people think when they see me anymore, and my femme mannerisms are better developed than they were years ago.

But who could honestly say they wouldn't want to be 22 again, with a smooth face and full head of hair? A lot of the younger members here seem to transform effortlessly into convincing women, while we older folks have to push, pull, paint, pad, cover and struggle a great deal more to create a plausible image.

- Diane

I think it likely is easier because of our attitude as we get older. We care less and less about what other people think hence we become more relaxed.

That does not mean its easy to pass though!
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

my experience leads me to say easier....not as interested in being eye-popping sexy so i stand out less, my beard is much lighter so it's easier to mask with much less make-up, i'm more comfortable in my own skin and i think that reflects in a kind of serenity and peace-of-mind i didn't have in my youth, and i'm much better skilled at my craft than i ever was....also i'm less afraid and that has to count for something too.....but again, this is only my experience.....i guess it's like high school though ~ sometimes i wish i could do it over with what i know now! i think in this age of digital cameras, a more accepting population, and the terrific fashions i'd rather be young and working on passing than older and getting fairly good at it. lol

Sadly, when I was young I was quite cute and very passable, now 30 years later, I should be so lucky, I only pass in a thick fog on a moonless night.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Gee
    do you think "passing " gets easier as one ages?

[SIZE="2"]Hi Danielle,

These days I have absolutely no problem passing as a frumpy librarian, that’s for sure…[/SIZE]

Hi, girls,

It has been my experience that the older I dress (longer skirts & dresses, grey hair, a bit heavier in the breasts, belly, thighs, etc) the easier it is to pass. I attribute most of this "passing" to the attitude of our culture. Older women are mostly "invisible" in our culture. Nobody (men or women) pays attention to old ladies. Ask real women. The older you get the more you are ignored. I think that is sad for women! But I happen to like it! I want to be in the world as a woman and not draw attention to myself. So I dress more appropriate to my age and fewer and fewer people pay attention to me! Good for me, but not so good for real women.

I remember the first time I went out with grey hair. I went to Target with a girlfriend and I waited for her at the end of the checkout area by the exit doors. Nobody even gave me a glance, much less a second look!! I notice the same thing waiting in line in the ladies room or just walking along in the mall! Nobody pays attention to old ladies!! And I like that!!

Love,
    Stephanie
    Stephanie Kay

"We all just want to be loved!"