Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renaissance fairs

Renaissance fairs

In her spirit of having fun with me and my cross-dressing, my fiance' suggested we go to a few RenFairs over the next two months, with her as the pirate and me as the wench.

While I really would like to do this I'm pretty much unfamiliar with the whole RenFair culture; my fiance', on the other hand, was incredibly enthusiastic about the idea and suggeted that we do an entire circuit of national events next year.

Obviously, I love the idea of opportunities to spend time with her and being dressed with her support, my only concern is how the faire folk will deal with a patron who is clearly a man (beard and all) dressed as a woman.

I know they market these things heavily as family events, and while the few I've been to in the past have a significant contingent of obvious BDSM folks running around, it's a lot easier to give a child an age appropriate (and likely disingenuous) explanation of why that person has a flogger on their belt then why that man with a beard is dressed as a buxom woman. It's not like I'll blend in with the crowd.

So if any of you have xperience at these events, I'd really appreciate some feedback.

[SIZE="4"]Kali,

I've never done a Ren Faire dressed up, but off the top of my head I'd say lose the beard temporarily. After all it grows back, and think about the fun of total emersion not to mention all the fun you and your SO could have (she may have to defend your honor). I say shave it off!

Cindy
    [/SIZE]

Almost half of the pictures I have are of me at the Renn Faire dressed up. PA's faire is o.k., but I could do without the concrete. Try our MD faire! It's bigger, cheaper, and the very last day is the "Day of Wrong." In addition to ninjas and stormtroopers, LOTS of men wear dresses on the Day of Wrong, as opposed to the rest of the season where there's only one or two of us, and one or two TS's. But they're always there!

Loosing the beard has been discussed, but my SO is not really in favor of that; she really prefers men with facial hair. And as I've had a beard for more than 30 years, I don't argue with her about it. Also, unless I was planning on weaing something that covered my torso completely, from neck to wrist, there's gonna be hair there

Hirsute would be an apt description.

Quote Originally Posted by Violetgray View Post
    Almost half of the pictures I have are of me at the Renn Faire dressed up. PA's faire is o.k., but I could do without the concrete. Try our MD faire! It's bigger, cheaper, and the very last day is the "Day of Wrong." In addition to ninjas and stormtroopers, LOTS of men wear dresses on the Day of Wrong, as opposed to the rest of the season where there's only one or two of us, and one or two TS's. But they're always there!
    Actually the MD fair is where we were planning on going. We are thinking about doing a handfasting cermony there next month and wanted to check out the chapel and area around it.

And if I looked like you when I was dressed, I wouldn't have any concerns

I have gone into wendy's dressed with a white wig like wendy and everyone love it when I asked if they seen my sister. Most people will go with the flow and laugh with you. Take the opportunity, you'll love your fiance for it later

First lose the concept that people who work at Ren Faires are normal. We are a ragtag bunch of freaks and geeks and are accepting of almost anyone. You dressed as a "wench" will not be the most outrageous thing we've seen. Garunteed. I work at the Southern California Faire, the Original and I even work dressed sometimes. You have NOTHING to worry about!

And remember that half of us are doing this before you reach the gate! Come as you are, honey. And if you come to the So. Cali Faire, stop by the dunk tank and say hi! I'll be the tall, pretty black woman with the voice of Barry White!

Banned Read only

Favorite Post

Quote Originally Posted by Plasibeau View Post
    First lose the concept that people who work at Ren Faires are normal. We are a ragtag bunch of freaks and geeks and are accepting of almost anyone. You dressed as a "wench" will not be the most outrageous thing we've seen. Garunteed. I work at the Southern California Faire, the Original and I even work dressed sometimes. You have NOTHING to worry about!

And remember that half of us are doing this before you reach the gate! Come as you are, honey. And if you come to the So. Cali Faire, stop by the dunk tank and say hi! I'll be the tall, pretty black woman with the voice of Barry White!

I love attitude in this post. Straights and Normals need not apply.

-Misty

I've been to many a RenFair in a bodice, and I've written about it in detail on my website in the signature below. Yes, you can.

I went to a RenFest event dressed up last year and I enjoyed it very much. Nobody said a thing negative and I was treated just like anyone else. It was a fun, fun event.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be doing this, so wish me luck!

Good luck but you won't need it! Remember, the vast majority of the people at Ren Faire's are people who are wearing idiosyncratic clothing to begin with. I find that people who engage in this type of stuff or in live action roleplays or cosplay type things tend to be some of the friendliest, most open minded people around. I was out as a crossdresser and openly wearing a skirt and women's boots with tights with my old roleplaying group long before I was willing to just walk around as a guy in a skirt in public.

Have fun!

I have never been do a renasiance fair but I would love to do that.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Obviously, I love the idea of opportunities to spend time with her and being dressed with her support, my only concern is how the faire folk will deal with a patron who is clearly a man (beard and all) dressed as a woman.
    I don't have any experience (no clue what you're talking about even). But if your wife wants you to and knows these things, and you love the idea, I'd say at least try once.
    WARNING: I'm a hopeless forum troll. I sometimes get carried away in arguments. I'm not from the USA and not a native speaker, which does mean I sometimes simply misunderstand.

Mainly here to find out who I am and learn. Having a place to let of steam to understanding people in relative anonymity is great!
    ---
    Men run on testosterone, women on Toblerone.

I've gone to the Maryland Renaissance Fair en femme for the last two years. Both time I rented a Fair Maiden costume there. One of the girls there helped me dress -- no not that -- she laced and tied the waist cincher. The girls helping me dress were very very cool about it, even getting me a smaller skirt when the one I was first given turned out to be way too big.

Most people didn't even take a second glance. I did get a lot of knowing looks, mostly from GGs. And I got a bunch of "you look good" and similar comments, which made me feel very good, since my make-up skills are almost non-existent. When someone gave me a nice remark, I usually gave them a curtsey back.

The second time I went, there were several other CDs there. Two alone looking to pass, and two more with their GFs saying their GFs forced them to do it. I *pretended* to believe them.

I think the big problem you may want to consider is the beard. You won't come anywhere close to passing with a beard, and since there will be thousands of attendees, at least some may take offense, either on their own, or to protect their children. So, at least have a story for the childrem since they will recognize that you are a guy in a dress, and they may comment on it. I think just saying that you like to play dress-up will satisfy the younger children.

I really suggest that you consider shaving the beard, bu if that's a non starter, disguise it with chain mail, a face mask, or a veil or scarf.

Oh, and have fun. I had a great time.

Steffi
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Is the MD Faire you all speak of the one in Annapolis? I googled it and that's all I found. So, it goes on for months?
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd View Post
    Is the MD Faire you all speak of the one in Annapolis? I googled it and that's all I found. So, it goes on for months?
    http://www.rennfest.com/

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    I've got lots of experience travelling and working the renfaire circuit dressed as either a Tudor Queen, Wench or (as in my avatar pic) Queen of the faeries.

Its loads and loads of FUN, and nobody will give you a second glance. I've yet to have a negative experience in my travels. Most of the faire's out there even have unisex bathrooms (portas).

This year and in 2010 I've scored three contracts to be on cast at faires throughout Texas enfemme.

I can't wait!!!!

*hugs*

Zarabeth
    (Formerly known everywhere as Lady Zarabeth

MD ren fest is the best one

Could all meet up for a group picture =P

Hi...
    Oh wow . If it were possibile I would love to be able to go to something like this .
    I had a look at the right up . & it sounds so neat ..
    ?? will it be possibile to get any pic.s & will a recording be done of the music if any one knows i would be very interested .
    ...noeleena...

Remember folks, I have a beard and am almost six and a half tall. "Blending in" seems unlikely

As the theme for this weekend's opening faire days is Children's Weekend with all kids under 12 admittted free we decided to go instead the weekend after Labor Day when perhaps I won't stand out quite so much (or engender so many potential questions).

If other board members would be interested in attending that weekend we could have a little get-together on site (if they can deal with a bearded CD).

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    I think the big problem you may want to consider is the beard. You won't come anywhere close to passing with a beard, and since there will be thousands of attendees, at least some may take offense, either on their own, or to protect their children. So, at least have a story for the childrem since they will recognize that you are a guy in a dress, and they may comment on it. I think just saying that you like to play dress-up will satisfy the younger children.
    "Oh this? It's the latest in face warmers. They are all the rage in the court of France."

I get a lot of guys asking me, "So did you lose the bet?"

I answer, "No, I won it. He bet me I wouldn't."

My usual answer to a kid asking me, "Why are you wearing a dress?" is, "Because I like to and it's fun, and you can wear anything you want at a Renaissance Festival."

A Ren fair sounds like loads of fun! To dress like a wench, hmmm, bodice, peasant shirt and a big full skirt? I'm in! I think I've just added a venue to my "To Do" list.

Michelle

I've wanted to do this for quite a while.

They have one in Connecticut, that seems to be pretty big. Anyone had any experience with that one?
    Mary