Thread: In a microphone even

In a microphone even

So last night was a big night and I like when people share positive stories on here so this is one of my own.

As I've mentioned on here before, I'm a professional stand up comedian. I've long been hesitant to be open about my crossdressing because I've been afraid of how it would hurt my career. My big fears were that it would become what I was "known" as and that could cost me work because I'd get pigeonholed, and also that people would think I was ripping off Eddie Izzard.

But I've been feeling more and more over the past year or so that this is something I want to be open about because the secret aspect of it had really started to wear on me. I'd already opened up about it to some friends, and my dad. Most of my friends have been girls but I decided a few months ago to confide in my male writing partner (we write scripts together and bounce ideas for our comedy acts off each other) who is also one of my closest friends in comedy. He was really accepting of it, and encouraged me to be more open to the idea of talking about it in my comedy act. He went through a bout with cancer a few years ago and he said even though it was hard, he was glad he brought it onstage because it was something he had a unique perspective on, and that it set him apart from other comics.

So for the past few months I've slowly started dipping my foot in the water with talking about crossdressing onstage. I tried it once in June on a night when the crowd was really unresponsive, and I was so nervous to do it that it didn't go over well at all and I don't think anyone really knew what I was talking about, but the set went so badly that I got scared to try it again. I have occasionally done some shows in a kilt since then and thats been about as far as I'd taken it.

Well last night, I don't know why but I just got a fire in my belly. Maybe it's from posting on this board the last week or so again and feeling much more gung ho about not treating this like it's anything to be ashamed of. I wore my kilt last night and I went onstage and did a quick joke about it that I do whenever I wear it. Then I did a joke about my recent weight loss and my previous horrible eating habits. Then I took a deep breath, and confidently said in addition to kilts, I also wore skirts, an then into a microphone, into a room full of both strangers and fellow comics, many of whom I've known for years, I said "In fact, I do what they call crossdressing."

I then proceeded to do about five minutes of material I've been kicking around about being a crossdresser, using the term "crossdressing" or "crossdresser" several times in regards to myself. Some of the jokes got really good laughs, others not so much, but guess what? That's what happens when I'm working on any new material. The crowd responded to it exactly the same way they do when I'm talking about being a movie nerd or fast food. It was amazing. They didn't throw things at me or heckle me or anything different.

After my set, I was out in the bar, and another comic came up who I've known my entire career, and he very warmly said "That's maybe the most confident I've ever seen you onstage. That was great." Now, he had really no idea that I was a crossdresser, but it didn't seem to phase him at all, in fact he encouraged me to keep working on that material because it clearly was a strong unique subject for me.

A couple of female comics who are kind of new to the scene talked to me afterwards and wanted to know more about it, and one even asked me my skirt size because she goes thrift store shopping all the time and she wants to find me some amazing skirt somewhere.

Now, to be fair, this open mic is in a very laid back, open minded bar that gets a pretty hip young crowd, usually of at least somewhat mixed sexual orientation. It's in a fairly artsy part of town where there are a lot of gay bars, so this is not the same reaction I'll get if I did the same material in one of the places I perform at on the road, the little blue collar bars that I make a good chunk of my money in these days.

But this open mic is sort of my place to go be me, and i've often said that on that stage there was where I felt like I could say anything, experiment with stuff and have no worries, that it was the most comfortable place for me to perform out of all the places I do shows. Well last night I proved it. and it feels great.

Yay! Good for you! I LOVE stand-up comics.

Eddie Izzard -- is that the crossdresser who calls himself a male lesbian?

How brave and wow...very proud of you!!
    What a wonderful post.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

Well, I've often heard critics or fans of comedy say that about Izzard, like "Comedians have been in drag for a long time, big deal." But I think that what makes him different, is that unlike most comedic crossdressing, it wasn't done as a joke, i.e. A man in a dress is funny*, but rather, with Eddie it comes from a much more personal sincere place, he openly admits to being a transvestite, and dresses when offstage in his own personal life (though he seems to be doing it a lot less these days.) So Eddie was doing jokes *about* his crossdressing, rather than his crossdressing itself being the joke.

and to Anne, yes, Eddie is the "male lesbian" or "male tomboy" or "executive transvestite."

(*Not that I don't find the classic man in a dress to be funny, Some Like it Hot, classic Monty Python, and more recently Kids in the Hall on this side of the pond are some great examples.)

Thanks for the kind words. It definitely felt good afterwards.

Maybe the n ext step is to do standup while CD'd ... I know that's what it took for me to get up enough courage to do karaoke!

I've CD'd onstage before but that was for a halloween show where the entire audience was dressed up in costumes. I think that I'm going to make a real effort to get up the gusto to wear a skirt next week to this same show now that I feel I have the momentum and the material to back it up with, but we'll see. I don't think I'll be getting onstage in full femme any time soon, but as I said before in my "Passing Out" post, full femme isn't really my goal anyway. I'd rather just be able to be myself but just happen to be crossdressing while I do it.

Alyssa, you knocked my socks off. Funny and wonderful. What a wonderful way to bring your story and ours out to the public. Obvious it wasn't a discussion setting but the fact that you can bring crossdressing to the front this way says something about you as a person. Thoughtful and sharing to say a couple.

Now for material, well you have a wardrobe and makeup kit full of ideas. Have fun with it and wish you the best.

Huggs Teri

Saskatchewan, Middle of the Canadian Prairies
    Bravo! Even in that venue it still took a lot of courage to do what you did and I bet it felt good!
    My Father is male, my Mother is female that makes me 50/50!

Great story!

As a standup comic of 6 years myself, I know exactly what you're talking about. Do you have any stuff online?

Banned Read only
    Hmmm... Violet and Alyssa ...

Could this be the trans Penn and Teller?

Doubt if either wants to be the quiet one, though!

Have you seen Leith and Les? ... A trans couple that blogs and does personal appearances. They present trans issues (He's FtM, she's MtF)with humor and style...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-AIHdxLxGo

Great story, Alyssa!

Cool, I wish I could have been there in the audience.

If you want to wear a skirt, you could say you are a color blind scottsman. Then say you wore your kilt today, but forgot your bag pipes so no music.

I could think up a lot of interesting jokes, because I like the kind where people observe "normal" behaviour from a new perspective. I think the CD perspective can be a gold mine there as you end up neither being fully male nor female, but in this new place. Things like:
    "Since I started wearing skirts, I've started looking at underground air vents in a whole new light, you ladies will understand..." (queue Marilyn Monroe pose).
    (I'm not a good comedian, but I think you get my drift.)

I like the kind of jokes that are about observation and experiences. I think people like Robin Williams are awesome.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MR2RlNSFiQ

I commend your bravery of doing this in the spotlight. It sounds by the reactions that it made you more confident, so I think you should continue.
    WARNING: I'm a hopeless forum troll. I sometimes get carried away in arguments. I'm not from the USA and not a native speaker, which does mean I sometimes simply misunderstand.

Mainly here to find out who I am and learn. Having a place to let of steam to understanding people in relative anonymity is great!
    ---
    Men run on testosterone, women on Toblerone.

Bravo! Bravo!
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Rock On Alyssa! Good for you.

Michelle

Cool story, but for some reason I keep thinking "in a microwave oven" is the title.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

I dress to feel pretty Tina P Hose's Avatar
    From one so called comedy person to the other, " Who's on First"...and the comedy begins from that, you really wanna, see a joke ? How about the so-called tea parties, or Miley Ray Cyress, or me in a dress, now that is a joke.
    Last edited by Tina P Hose; 08-28-2009 at 06:45 PM.
    From Madrid to Montreal that underneath it all that Tina prefers pantyhose

I dress to feel pretty Tina P Hose's Avatar
    From one so called comedy person to the other, " Whose on First"...and the comedy begins from that, you really wanna, see a joke ? How about the so-called tea parties, or Miley Ray Cyress, or me in a dress, now that is a joke. or a ton of Sarah Palin jokes
    From Madrid to Montreal that underneath it all that Tina prefers pantyhose

The softer side of Sears JoanAz's Avatar

U tube it

Alyssa why not put up a U tube of your CD Comedy routine let us the rest of the World in on it
    JoanAz

I would never put up a you tube video of jokes I'm still working on silly, that's like asking major league baseball to televise spring training. (Though I'm an Indians fan so that might actually explain this current season)

Just a little update on this thread, I did the same show again this week, and I wore a skirt. I was doing the "Boy in a skirt" look which fits my personal style a bit more than being done up does, but it was still a big step for me. My set went great though, I wish I'd taped it. I usually tape all of them but for some reason tonight I didn't. kicking myself!