Thread: There may be hope, Diversity at work

Smile There may be hope, Diversity at work

We had a Diversity Workshop today at work for about an hour. We discussed a case study of a MTF TS transitioning at work (He to She: Eaton Corp. Helped Transgender Employee). There were about 20+ people there.

I laid back at first to hear the responses, and the responses were very positive and they seemed to have a grasp of the situation, from bathroom usage to the fact that there is a difference between sexual orientation and gender identity. A number of people had mentioned seeing these topics on 60 minutes and other news programs. So it appears the word is getting out into the general media.

The session was led by our resident TS in the company and I ended coming out to this group as well. Namely because it became obvious that I knew too much about the subject. A number of people thanked me afterwards.

Prior to this meeting I must have told about 50 people at work. And the word never spread like I thought it would. I'm wondering now that I did this, if this is going to be the tipping point.

I did have a chuckle to myself though, the TS that was running the meeting said that, "Being transgender today is very trendy". Wow I thought, she should talk to my wife!

So good news people, slowly but surely things will change.

-Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

I may have to go back to work. Are there any openings at you place for a retired letter carrier

That is good news,Tracy. They have changed tremendously in the last 20 years, and it can only get better! Maybe that is your "tipping point", or was it a nudge from supportive people?
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    Congrats!!!!!

Good to see such a supportive and positive situation!

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Trendy, eh? Gee, I've always wanted to be trendy.

I'm glad that you're out at work. It sounds nice.

Kathi

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I agree! Congrats, Tracy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Trendy, eh? Gee, I've always wanted to be trendy.
    I'm glad that you're out at work. It sounds nice.
    Kathi
    We're "trendy"? Oh, that's a GOOD ONE!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!