Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Why do women not wear slips anymore?

Silver Member

Slips may be returning

While at Macy's today I found some very pretty slips that in the past were not there. There are not enough of us buying them to cause Macy's to carry them so one must assume that more women are wearing them. Not because of the way slips feel, but as a way to complete their look.

I think that as the population grows older and clothing styles change we may see the return of slips and other foundations. As GG's become older they also become more modest and try to compensate for gravity. I don't know any (well only a couple) women at 60 who are still wearing the same fashions they did at 20.

Short slips make good undershirts, as they make pulling up pants and tucking it the "shirttail" easier. Also, it can't pull out because you're sitting on it! (A slip with a crotch closure wouldn't pull out either but they seem to have disappeared.) Adjustable straps and a bodice are OK too, as they are not apparent. Actually, a bra slip with a small cup size would be even better as it would obviate the need for a stand-alone bra and wouldn't have a back closure

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    My wife doesn't own a slip. I wear one whenever I wear a dress and occasionally my wife borrows one of mine, if she needs one.
    Dana Ryan

Alana Marie

Slips?

Anytime I wear a dress, I also wear a slip. I like the way my dress hangs on me and slips more smoothly when I sit or move about. Thank goodness some stores like JCPenney and Macy's still sell them. Maybe we should all run out and buy them up.

Hugs,

Alana Marie

Thumbs up

Always wear a slip under a dress or skirt. Not because of necessity but because they feel nice & they are a very feminine garment, not to mention they can be absoloutley gourgeous with loads of lace, pretty designs on them, etc.

Have had 5 or 6 slip sightings so far this summer so gg's are still wearing them, you just have to look closer. I'm just glad there are still ladies like "Queen Of Hearts" who still wear them. You go girl.

Am I missing out?

I have never personally wore a slip and my wife doesn't wear a slip with any of her clothes either. The only time I ever saw my wife wear a slip is when we went out for a special ocassion and she needed something to go under her skirt because you could see through it. She has since gotten rid of that skirt and the slip as well. So my question is am I really missing out or is it just something that the "Old Timers" would really enjoy?

Creature of the Night! Jennifer Silverstone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah Babe View Post
    I have never personally wore a slip and my wife doesn't wear a slip with any of her clothes either. The only time I ever saw my wife wear a slip is when we went out for a special ocassion and she needed something to go under her skirt because you could see through it. She has since gotten rid of that skirt and the slip as well. So my question is am I really missing out or is it just something that the "Old Timers" would really enjoy?
    Old Timers Indeed! (39 and holding) Men walked on the moon before I was born...

Actualy, when I was growing up, the staples of female underwear were always stated as "Bra, Slip and Panties". Now it's down to just bra and panties. I think a lot of femininity has been lost in the transition. And yes, you are missing out.
    Last edited by Jennifer Silverstone; 10-04-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    [SIZE="5"]Jennifer Silverstone; if she didn't exist, you'd have to invent her![/SIZE] :cheeky:

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    A slip has always been considered (as also refered to here) a most feminine article of all female clothing.

Slips of the past have very often been lavished with lace, etc to appear as feminine as possible.
    Why embellish a slip if no one will see it?. The wearer will know (as in "victoria's secret") and the female can revel in her feminimity under a dress as she constantly feels the sensuous slip.

When I was growing up, no self respecting feminine female would get dressed withiout a slip.

Yes, you are missing out.

I agree

WEll i totally agree with Reine, I wear them to bed and absolutely love it!

I love to wear slips under my dresses and skirts, Theyre my favourite.
    I think its an auful shame that girls don't wear them anymore.
    It makes me feel really feminine to have a flash of lace show from under my skirt when I am sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    Slips are for grannys in the 1950's... it ain't the 1950's and we've moved on from wearing them... besides.. they're lame
    Really? I have been a fan for years of a site called 'Slip Heaven'. It caters for all tastes in slips - except it has very few grannies on it.

I contacted the owner and he was pleased to let me send you to his samples - which you will find easily at www.slipheaven.com - but he also sent me a bonus pic to post on the site.

If you think of grannies when you see this model, you need your head testing!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ashley Williams; 10-20-2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Typo
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.

If it's not lined I wear a slip with it. Other than that, only when I am lounging around the house. I occasionaly like spending the day in a slip, nylons and heels

I was at Von Maur recently. For those not familiar with this family owned chain, it's on par with Saks Fifth Avenue. Out of continued curiosity, I looked for slips in their lingerie department. Sure enough, they had a full line of slips available.

I still maintain that if the stores are carrying them, they're being bought. Stores do not long waste shelf/rod space for things that do not sell. If they're being bought, they're being worn.

I wear a slip when i wear a dress. My wife rarely wears one. I do like wearing one to bed occasionally.

The full slip is the first article of feminine clothing I wore. I still get excited just thinking about it. Its like an old friend - hard to let go!

As a GG, I haven't worn a FULL slip since about jr. high. Too much bulk under my otherwise smooth look. (I didn't know they still made them!) I still have some 1/2 slips that I wear with certain dresses or skirts.

Haven't read all the responses above, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but a few years ago Oprah Winfrey announced on her show that she doesn't wear slips because who really cares that you can see legs through your skirt!

I'm up in front of a lot of people a lot of the time in my profession, so I will wear a 1/2 slip so that people won't be concentrating on what I'm wearing (or not wearing), and pay more attention to what I'm saying!

Why is it that the last time I tried to post something regarding what GG women wear, my post was deleted and I got a rude message from the mods saying "we're not here to discuss what GG women are wearing"! This post seemed to have made it through!

I wore a full length black slip today and the dress I put on had a black , not a slip more like a lining, inattached, I left the slip on.

The reason a lot of us wear slips is we liked them when we were young , we are still catching up on lost time.

Women should wear slips in colder climates, they help keep you warm, if you are wearing a dress.
    A Rose by any other name.....[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]

Love Rebecca Jayne

Short slips are ideal for underdressing. If ihey have a bodice - and most do - it doesn't show in "boy mode". Actually a short bra slip with a small cup size would be OK too, but a bra slip with a crotch closure would be best. However, slips with a crotch closure seem to have disappeared. I would wear slips as nightshirts too, as they make it easier to roll over without the covers coming too, but bare shoulders are cold. The ideal garment for sleeping would be a nylon tee. Any suggestions?

I agree with you Betty - so sensual the feeling of silk against your skin and you can get fairly short slips now, so I always wear one under my skirts and dresses.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE] LYNDI

To slip or not to slip

I'm with you slip girls. Love to wear them and really enjoy how feminine they look and feel. As for slip 'slipping' against our panties, I personally like the feeling and wear a slip under all of my dresses and skirts; lined or unlined.
    I have dozens of vintage slips, full and half to accomodate whatever length dress or skirt I am wearing. I even have a couple of silk mini slips to wear while drab. Love how they rub against my panties!!!

Tess Graham
    Louisville kY

Tess, I love wearing two slips too. I wear a mini slip with crotch closure (cami-knicker) which is tight-ish around my torso, but flares from the hips. Then I put the second one (normal slip) on inside out, so the two satin surfaces rub together. This creates a wonderful, super-slippery feeling under my male clothes. Ive been out shopping, underdressed this way, I even had my corset on under the lot, with stockings attached to the suspenders. I couldn't wait to get home to deal with my excitement!!!

Tony

Slips are my life xx
    Forever In Slips

Complete mystery, isnt it. Love the feel of a nice slip.

Heck, in a few years, they won't be wearing dresses much either- most of the ads i see are for tops and jeans!!!!

Should be easy to pick out a CD then seeing as we love our dresses/skirts,etc!!!!!

Aspiring Member

Exclamation It's the tatoos stupid

Probably when the fashion in women's dress changes from tatoos from head to toe and thongs and flip flops and the no-bra look changes. Until then
    happy trails
    Mandrake out of water