Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do women not wear slips anymore?

As i am reading this thread's subject. I ask the question of why women dont wear slips anymore to a gg friend of mine. Her response is "because they are a pain in the butt". "I like to get the dress with the slip built in, I find it feels like im wearing a two skirts when i wear a regular slip, they slide down, bunch up when you sit down, drives me crazy" She actually used a word that starts with the letter "A" instead of butt but you get the point.

Jessica.

Quote Originally Posted by bettysmith View Post
    Its a shame , because a little slip showing looks so sexy !!

Betty
    I read this to my gg friend and she said in her opinion, "i dont think so, I think it looks trashy. What's so sexy about a slip showing"

Jessica.
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 09-18-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Use the edit button please, multiposting is not allowed.

Always wear a slip! also with lined skirts/dresses.

I agree with TGMarla, sis. You've been in the woods to long with Robin & his "TIGHT" tights.

hus all,
    Janelle

Quote Originally Posted by amc000 View Post
    Always wear a slip! also with lined skirts/dresses.
    amc000
    Girl I hope you don't drive like that or I'll have to buy a tank.

Once I wore a lampshade!

Love your pic

RJ
    A Rose by any other name.....[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]

Love Rebecca Jayne

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Quote Originally Posted by spandexgirl188 View Post
    As i am reading this thread's subject. I ask the question of why women dont wear slips anymore to a gg friend of mine. Her response is "because they are a pain in the butt". "I like to get the dress with the slip built in, I find it feels like im wearing a two skirts when i wear a regular slip, they slide down, bunch up when you sit down, drives me crazy" She actually used a word that starts with the letter "A" instead of butt but you get the point.

Jessica.

I read this to my gg friend and she said in her opinion, "i dont think so, I think it looks trashy. What's so sexy about a slip showing"

Jessica.
    I've heard the exact same thing from many GGs over the years.

Personally, slips (particularly full slips) have always been one of my very favorte articles of clothing.

The GGs I know wear slips, but only occasionally and only with certain types of outfits. I like the feel of them, but I don't like to or need to wear a slip with every dress in my wardrobe.
    warmly, Linnea

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    Walmart, Target, Sears, JC Penny, discontinued slips in store about 6 months ago. Kmart still has a limited number.
    Just as a spot check, I checked out our local Target over the weekend. Still carries slips.

SOMEbody is buying them.

Fashion evolves

junior member & GG

from a girly,girl at birth..

A silky camisole to curl up in the sofa watching a good movie..? yes!!!..Most of dresses have a slip built in, it is very convenient( no malfunction) and also soft, so why we will make our life more complicated!!!!???? Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    Not!

Besides, what would a woman know about it anyway?
    [SIZE=1](But ya just gotta love all that wonderful lace!)[/SIZE]
    I love that!

Actually, I like slips too and haven't worn them much in years but all this talk has got me to thinking...my SO asked me about it once too, and I guess maybe he was wishing I wore them. The fact is, in the summer time, it's just one more thing to put on that is too hot, I like to breathe. But in the winter it can be a different story...that is if I'm not wearing jeans, sweater, and boots (I live where there's snow). But I think I'll run out and buy one on my lunch break...
    Enacting life's lessons into positive change...

[SIZE="3"]Hi Betty, I too always wear a slip under any skirt or dress.
    Susan
    [/SIZE]

Creature of the Night! Jennifer Silverstone's Avatar
    I'm a HUGE fan of slips, mainly waist slips too. I have more than I care to count! Whilst I prefer full skirts that reach below the knee, I like pencil type waist slips underneath, so they are a little restrictive when I walk. They help with my deportment though! I prefer skirts and tops to dresses mostly, though I do have a number of full slips as well. I grew up in the 70s, so I 'imprinted' on a generation of women who normally wore skirts, slips and tights as opposed to the current crop who wear trousers all the time. I think a lot of them just have no idea what they are missing!
    [SIZE="5"]Jennifer Silverstone; if she didn't exist, you'd have to invent her![/SIZE] :cheeky:

Where have slips gone? Hosiery ?

The girls of today were not trained properly by their mothers or grandmothers how to dress in the art of proper layering under dresses or skirts, plus most all are lined now-a-days - also - I work on a college campus, I see no girls wearing hosiery ( of any kind ) anymore ( unless a truly special occasion ) - black tights are still pretty common - the regular nylon hosiery business must be almost dead. I also think its laziness. Also our society is just so dang casual, plus girls and women are pretty active and busy to spend the time to dress up. Also the bare it all fashion of music videos taught most all to just bare it all - less covering up. There ya have it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post
    I like to wear a bra and panties and a slip while at home. A very comfortable trio while lounging or doing household chores.
    [SIZE="4"]I'm with you Abby, I love wearing a full slip with bra and panties and sometimes with garter belt and stockings, just to lounge around in. They look and feel sexy.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I think a little slip showing looks sleazy, but to each his own.
    [SIZE="4"] . . . and Ralph sometimes a girl wants to look a feel and little bit sleazy![/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post
    I like to wear a bra and panties and a slip while at home. A very comfortable trio while lounging or doing household chores.
    I also usually wear panties, bra and a full slip when lounging as this makes me feel so very feminine, sensuous and relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Silverstone View Post
    as opposed to the current crop who wear trousers all the time. I think a lot of them just have no idea what they are missing!
    Personally, I see women wearing more skirts and dresses now than was typical ten years ago. I know that high heel sales have gone up considerably in the last few years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by niktesla View Post
    I work on a college campus, I see no girls wearing hosiery ( of any kind ) anymore ( unless a truly special occasion ) - black tights are still pretty common - the regular nylon hosiery business must be almost dead. I also think its laziness.
    Beginning in the mid 90s, sales of sheer hosiery began declining. It stayed in a decline vs. year prior sales until a couple of years ago, and then flatlined or increased slightly. Sheer hosiery has been making a comeback on fashion runways, and you occasionally now see actresses wearing sheer hosiery at awards ceremonies, etc. It's not common yet, but it's less rare than it was five years ago. Even Paris Hilton has been spied wearing sheer hosiery. As I recall, more than a billion pairs of pantyhose were sold in the U.S. in 2008. It's still a multi-billion dollar industry.

As for college aged women, if the weather has even a slight chance of being above 70 degrees F, 90%+ of the women will be wearing flip flops. Hosiery, even toeless hosiery, doesn't go well with flip flops. Not that that is a reason why they don't wear hosiery, but they'd never think to wear hosiery with flip flops, and might if wearing flats.
    Last edited by JulieC; 09-22-2009 at 09:53 AM.

A very senior member. Ms Alison Janes's Avatar
    I always wear a slip with a dress, seems natural to do so.
    Alison xxx

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    I used to wear a slip on every outing until I got skirts that did not require one, still have 2 skirts that I must wear a slip with and that because there is no lining. However slips are ok but only as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by NV Susan View Post
    [SIZE="3"]Hi Betty, I too always wear a slip under any skirt or dress.
    Susan
    [/SIZE]
    Hi Susan

Glad to hear you love slips as well

Betty

I love to dress gurly!!!!
    I love weaaring a full slip under every dress, skirt and blouse I own.
    Hose with a slip creates a feeling of femininity.
    Unfortunately, women nowadays can feel feminine without slips and hose.
    The feeling of freedom and seduction is how my wife describes.
    Freedom from the hot layers of clothing and seduction because panties and a skirt are so sexy.
    Nonetheless, we gurls now what we love, how it makes us feel and won't trade it for anything.
    Besides, panties and a skirt don't feel sexy to me, but it is on her!

i love being a woman maid phylis's Avatar

Smile wearing a slip

since i started to dress fully and go out i have been wearing full slips and sometimes a half slip.so you ask why dont women wear them anymore ,well a lot of girls have given the answer.women are now wearing the pants and we are wearing the dresses and those lovely slips.phylisanne

Because it's 2009!

Slips are just so last century!

Well, for a few reasons. The main ones being that alot of women prefer to wear pants/jeans instead of dresses and another reason being they are not perceived as "sexy". Remember we live in a day and age where wearing a piece of string up ones a$$ is considered "sexy". Look at the way celeb's dress. It's not exactly feminine and lady-like is it? Fashion magazines don't push slips and department stores have pretty sad selections of slips. (Compared to the beautiful vintage styles one can find on ebay or at vintage clothing shops). With all of these factors, it's no wonder women don't wear slips anymore.

I love to wear slips (I'm a gg) as I find them feminine and romantic. But my last boyfriend just thought they were "old fashioned". :P To each their own!

There ARE women out there who have an appreciation for vintage style lingerie. Have you tried telling your wife how much you love it when she wears a slip? Or complimenting her when she wears one? I'd think she might be more inclined to wear one for you then! ;-)

born last century through no fault of mine own, that I can think of--can you ?

The better part of my life was "last century". I want to comment on slips and crossdressing but can't help for a moment commenting on the arrogance of youth. Can't remember the chick's handle, but, two things: you'll be old someday too sweety, If you're lucky; and class is ageless--and you don't have a hint of it, given your flippant, practically illiterate entry.

Slips are the reason I crossdress, probably because the women and girls around me in my formative years wore slips. Slips were and are the most feminine of garments. I will cut the crude polyester linings out of otherwise beautiful skirts just so I can wear a lovely slip under it. I shop specifically with an eye open for skirts without linings. I must have at least a hundred vintage slips that I've bought on ebay. If I don't have a slip on, I'm not dressed.

To each their own. If a thong under clamdiggers is your idea of crossdressing, so be it. For that matter, IMHO, too many women don't dress very femininely today either. For whatever reason, it doesn't matter enought to them. Be happy............................................. ..............laci

Why don't women wear slips?

Maybe it is because they never had such cute panties before.
    Attached Images Attached Images