Thread: Developing a Female Voice- Supplements

Developing a Female Voice- Supplements

I've been slowly working with Melanie Anne Phillips's tapes in my car, copying her vocal patterns and intonations, but I'm getting sick of listening to the same tape over and over lol. I would like to find some other audio of a woman talking, on the topic of any subject, to try to copy while I'm in the car. Does anyone have any recommendations for audiobooks, lectures, or spoken word?

Sing!

I know it sounds a bit nutty. But it was suggested to me and as another Melanie Phillips student it has served me well.
    Find some music you like that you can clearly here the words. Country Western or Jazz or American Standards. Pick artists with voices in your vocal range. Slide in the CD and go for it. Keep the volume low so you can here yourself.

XXX
    Megan

TIP: Flip down that sun visor to reflect you voice back to you.
    Loving the Lace!

Has it been 6 months? I was having trouble hearing the 2-step count in country music, so I got a good cassette and that was all that played in my truck for 6 months. LOL I can pick out a 2-step beat in music most think doesn't have one.

As suggested, singing does help. Got a few strange looks after singing along one night, even I could hear a strangeness to my voice. I don't even normally try to "develop" a female voice. I normally only do the soft voice thing.

when I was developing mine, I would just read off signs while I was driving. After a few months I sounded great. While I was at my old job one night, I paged over the intercom with my femme voice and surprised everybody, lol. My boss even asked which girl paged. The biggest compliment I ever got at work.
    removed

Question

Why do males develop a male voice and females develop a female voice? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but what I really mean is the voice inflection of males and females learned behavior that is learned during childhood by emulating members of the same sex? In other words, girls emulating women's voices and boys emulating men's voices?
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

According to http://heartcorps.com/journeys/voice.htm, the male voice box is larger and resonates more. Melanie Philips says a large part of developing a female voice is reducing that resonance. Try the exercise she suggests: Put your fingers just above your adams apple and at the base of your neck. Speak in your male voice. The top and the bottom will vibrate. Now sing a tone in falsetto. You should feel (at least I do) vibration more at the top. Now try to lower the tone while keeping the vibration only at the top. Once you find the place where your falsetto breaks, try speaking just above that tone.

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    Developing the female voice can take a lot of time but with enough practice you can do it. I've helped a friend of mine develope "her" voice over the course of 6 months and he had a serious bass voice to start with. Now its amazing to hear her other voice.

*hugs*
    ]
    Zarabeth
    (Formerly known everywhere as Lady Zarabeth

There is a long series of TG voice change suggestions on You Tube that really are profound.
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...nsgender+voice

Its definitively worth a viewing.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

I have been told that my voice is very good.

One thing I've always done, and continue to do, is to find a woman with a deeper voice on the radio when I'm driving, and speak along with her, note for note, inflection for inflection.

My current favorite is Mika Brezinski, who is on 3 hours here in LA in the mornings. (It's a conservative leaning talk show, for the faint of heart).

Here's a clip of her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VdNcCcweL0

Her pitch is in the range that I can totally do, and her femme intonations are excellent. Mastering the inflections is what pushes you over the top, imo.

There is a site where amateurs record audio books and they are free to download.

The recording quality is sometimes spotty, and sometimes there is a person with a strange accent, but there are LOTS of stuff to choose from, it's free, and lots of women record stuff. If you are just looking for a female voice to imitate in the car, it might be just the thing for you. And you will get to hear some of the world's great classical literature too... a double bonus. Look here: http://librivox.org/
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

this is by far my favorite voice technique on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWIzpW_X20