Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Addmitted to being Transgender on job application

Addmitted to being Transgender on job application

Like quite a few of us here, i'm currently unemployed and applying for any job I may have half a chance of getting.
    One of the forms I filled in today had an extra section stating they were an equal oppurtunities employer and had a seperate section asking for Nationally, Ethnicicity and Religion.
    Also in this section was a question asking...
    Gender?...Male...Female

I ticked both boxes, but inside the Male box added in brackets....Transgendered

It felt good taking this step and maybe they'll even add "TG" on future application forms

Wish me luck

I am so proud of you darling & ........... I know just how big a step this is for you
    I allow myself to set healthy boundaries ..... to say no to what does not align with my values, to say yes to what does.
    Boundaries assist me to remain healthy, honest and living a life that is true to me

Big hug, Debs....That's a big step and I am very proud of you....
    Ever The Opportunist

Actually this could be a good thing for all of us.Maybe more employers will add the box,among others to the printed application!
    Kimmy 55

Good for you Debs, I came out at work this week and so far there has been fair reception and hopefully the University is commited to walking the walk. Good luck, and huggs.

Teri

A bold move! How "they" react to this will be a good measure of the (potential) employers fair dealings. Best wishes with the application!!
    "Know, first, who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly.”
    Epictetus (Greek Stoic philosopher) [SIZE="2"](who I'd never heard of either until I stumbled on the quote in "How to walk in high heels" by Camilla Morton )[/SIZE]

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Good luck Debs. Just bear in mind that unless you're TS your prospective employer can legally discriminate against you.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

Hi Deborah,

Congratulations on taking a really big step. I sincerely hope that the company you applied to is one of those honorable ones this is really open to diversity. If so, they will be the big winner as they will get a really great employee in you.

Nicole

Good for you girl I am proud of you, however just because they are equal oppurtunities employers don't mean they will accept Trangendered employees. Someone correct me if I am wrong but under the law all companies have to be EOE to the point the law requires. Like you I am looking for work, I always read the small print at the bottom looking for companies that are accepting of gay, transgender, gender identiy and now i am finding a few group, gender presentation. These are the companies I put most of my applications too.

WOW! So brave! I’m uber proud of you!
    [SIZE="3"]-Broken out of a window in hell-[/SIZE]

Well I couldn't give you a hug over the phone so this will have to do

Well done Debs and we're keeping everything crossed for you.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Platinum Member
    I have had a few form in the last few months that have had 'transgendered' and its a milestone that companies are now actively recognise us ...well done debs

Good for you! I got layed off from my job before I had the chance to tell them and here in the States, especially around here, I dont see a seperate spot ever appearing on an application........But, I will look
    Last edited by MAJESTYK; 09-23-2009 at 12:36 PM.
    Well behaved Women rarely make history

Very brave of you Debs, good luck on the job hunt!
    Tina

Congrats.That is awesome.Its really gotta be something to pen that down.Being honest with yourself is a good feeling too.Its a big step.I wish you much luck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fantastic, Auntie Debs! I hope it all turns out well! Keep us all informed.

Good luck on getting the job Deborah. I hear thins are bad out there.
    Angie

Actually....... if I were out of work in this economy and really needed a job I wouldn't do anything that could potentially reduce my chance of getting a job... Mater of fact I'd man-up if needed to because taking care of my family financially is way more inportant to me than a box checked on a form that could end up in someone's trash can.. Good luck and hope it works out!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    But if they expressly state they're an EO employer, why would they want to?
    All employers in the UK have to obey equality legislation so EO is nothing but window-dressing.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

I applaud your courage, deborah, and as more and more of us make statements such as this and refuse to keep hiding in the closet, the sooner we will all achieve full equality with the rest of "mainstream" society. After all, it is always the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

But the road is a long and treacherous one, and while many companies may talk a good game as far as supporting diversity goes and claim to be extending equal rights/consideration to the transgendered community, many only pay lip service to these progressive policies. And they only do it when there's something in it for them - not because they are model corporate citizens and all around "good guys".

How many companies used to claim that they supported "work-life balance" to create a friendlier and more attractive and productive workplace, and then ended up slashing jobs by the thousands and tossing their employees aside like yesterday's garbage as soon as the economy started to slide and their bottom lines suffered? Gotta keep those shareholders happy, after all!

To be honest, I think our real clout will only be felt through our collective purchasing power and by massively supporting businesses that happily cater to us and treat us with the dignity and respect that we deserve. When we shop at a women's clothing store and get exceptional service or have a makeover done by a friendly and supportive make up artist - write to the corporate head office and TELL someone about. Conversely, when someone treats us shabbily, make a huge stink about it and if need be, use the Internet to get the message out there so that they will never, ever repeat that error again. And above all, tell them that you will never again set foot in their establishment, will spend your hard-earned dollars with someone who appreciates your business, and will tell anyone willing to listen about your bad experience with them.

These aggressive tactics have worked exceedingly well for the gay and lesbian communities, and once corporations realized just how much spending power they had, they began to fall all over themselves to cater to them.

And so, if a company wants to be able to properly serve the transgendered community just as effectively, what better way than to hire those same transgendered people who properly understand it and the market they represent. That's where the real push for hiring transgendered individuals will ultimately come from, and not from some wishy-washy, feel-good corporate policies that are merely window dressing on a mission statement.

Well done Debs

I am sure at the very least your application will get noticed

I hope your honesty is rewarded with the job that you want
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

I wish you the best in your job hunt, its a tough market right now, and you have incredible courage.

Hmmm,,, good idiea.... ya know, with all the minority rights, and afirmitive action, and politicaly correctness,,, coupled with the fear of a discrimination suit, mayve it was the smart thing to do!
    I;'ll try it the next app I fill out... However, I have a lot of bad stuff aginst me, so I think they'd feel coverd aginst a lawsuit

Wow... that took balls.

Or maybe it was a sly attempt at claiming minority status?
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Let us know how the job hunt goes and if there's any success - times are tough regardless nowadays so any hope of employment is better than nothing.