Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Addmitted to being Transgender on job application

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    I agree with Hope - WOW! You are far braver than me. Hope everything works out well for you....

Dancing in the moonlight Midnight Skye's Avatar
    Hey Debs, I LOVE what you did to your job application. I almost would like to see gender dashed right off job applications entirely, but I understand it has its need in some jobs. My workplace (after hiring) lets us flag in a private part of our profile that were GLBT... which flags you for specific mail, groups and information. I hope you can get a great job, good luck!

PS... my original sillyness... "Hey Debs, hearing your job application form has a transgendered marking is so neat!"
    Last edited by Midnight Skye; 09-24-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: I was too tired to read last night -sighs-
    Have fun and enjoy life.
    Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    I assumed Deborah Jane wasn't in the UK (I now discover she lives in the USA).
    [SIZE="3"]We do live in the UK Katie [/SIZE];.............. I did check my PM to you as I thought ohh noooo I have been an idiot ........... but I had said the United Kingdom
    Last edited by Sheila; 09-23-2009 at 11:20 PM.
    I allow myself to set healthy boundaries ..... to say no to what does not align with my values, to say yes to what does.
    Boundaries assist me to remain healthy, honest and living a life that is true to me

Wow...that's a big step.... Congrats!
    Let us know what the employer's response will be.
    A

(not a whale)
    There probably won't be a response from the employer.

There are times and places for battles like these; I don't think that right now is the best time to do something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by baby beluga View Post
    There probably won't be a response from the employer.

There are times and places for battles like these; I don't think that right now is the best time to do something like this.
    There may not ever be a right time, so things will never change if we take that approach ............... Debs felt this hopefully future employment was the right time for her to admit to being TG ........ she felt there may be better qualified people than her applying for this job, and decided as EOE was clearly stated to at least give herself an opportunity to be interviewed ......... will she do it next time maybe, maybe not, but she did this
    I allow myself to set healthy boundaries ..... to say no to what does not align with my values, to say yes to what does.
    Boundaries assist me to remain healthy, honest and living a life that is true to me

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    There may not ever be a right time, so things will never change if we take that approach
    I'm very hopeful that we can get an amendment to the Equality Bill which is currently going through Parliament to cover all gender variant people. At EU level there moves afoot to amend the Equality Directives to include the Yogyakarta Principles. Much of this is already in UK law in one act or another. We just need to get coverage for the wider gender variant population. So hopefully this time next year Debs will be able to work as Debs if she so wishes.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

Quote Originally Posted by baby beluga View Post
    Why not?

Ok she may not get the job but that could be for a number of reasons, but I guess most here will say oh no it's because she TG, well that don't wash with me. My SO applied for a job as Nigella and has been working at the same place for nearly 3 years. People do empoly TG people, it just needs more people to have the guts like Debs to go ahead and try.
    Last edited by Sandra; 09-24-2009 at 07:36 AM.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Woman and loving it Jennifer Marie P.'s Avatar
    Way to go girl you did the right thing.

People do empoly TG people, it just needs more people to have the guts like Debs to go ahead and try.

Very courageous and I am very proud of you
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    First: I hope you get the job !!

and... I can't wait for the day when job app's do have "TG" or the like as an option.
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

Very best in your job hunting. Let us know if anything results from your marking the application in that manner.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Cool beans Debs. Applications have changed over the years. I remember when I first applied for jobs (yeah, way back in the stone age) the application used to read in one spot: Sex? with a blank space following it to fill out. Me being the wise ass that I was, I usually filled in "yes" or "often". Probably why they changed it.

Well done, Debs and the very best of luck with your job application!

Sara xxx

Dancing With Unicorns Sarah Ellis's Avatar
    I hope you get it too. but I want to see the end of the blatant prejudice and discrimination against all of us transgendered people. I've said it time and time again, I will not be filed away in a box on a piece of paper.
    Collecting facts and stats is one thing, which is where the TG option on forms is a good idea, but I have a feeling that these facts and stats will be used against us at some point.
    Peoples views and prejudices have to change first before we can all be truly accepted into the wider (I hate the word mainstream) world.
    "There's a place for us.
    A time and a place for us.
    Hold my hand and I'll take you there.
    Somehow, someday, somewhere."

Three gold stars for Deborah. I hope you get the job.

Good for you Debs!

Maybe if everyone who was TG filled ticked the third box then there's be a greater awareness of the percentage of people who actually are. Then things can start to change!