Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about how many of us there are.

A question about how many of us there are.

Hello again.
    This is something I've always been curious about. Just how many CDers are there? What percentage of the population do we make up? I was staggered when I joined to find over 30,000 members here.
    I've never been able to find any proper statistic over the years for this, so I was wondering if anyone here might know, or have a link to somewhere that does.
    A cookie to the first person who says "It's not important. Just enjoy being who you are." No cookies after that.

I am genuinely curious about this. But, almost in a selfish way I want the number to be low, as I like being unique in my circle of friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Engendered View Post
    A cookie to the first person who says "It's not important. Just enjoy being who you are." No cookies after that.
    "It's not important. Just enjoy being who you are."

I only came in to claim the cookie

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Probably about 5-10% of males cross-dress.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

Miniskirts are electric JennaByNight's Avatar
    Wow! So, IIRC, there are around 600 million people in the US. For convenience, we'll say half are male. So if I CD "fairly" often, that means 10%, or 30 million are just like me. And if I accept the "bi" label for the sake of the math, then 15% of that 30 million means that 4.5 million guys in the US are just like me in this regard! That's pretty wild!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaJaneThomas View Post
    Probably about 5-10% of males cross-dress.
    Probably? Where did you get those figures from? What makes them probable?

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Probably? Where did you get those figures from? What makes them probable?
    It's called science. Maybe you don't have that in your country?
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

I thought I heard that there was roughly 300+ million people in the USA a year or two ago (total population, that is).

This may not matter.... But, it occured to me that many of us just want to blend in. Others WANT to be noticed. Many CD's are very flamboyent. Others are totally in a darkened closet and want no one to see them. I wonder if there is a breakdown of all of that, or more?
    Personally, I just want to blend in when I dress.

Again, it prolly doesn't matter... Just curious.
    I just want to look pretty.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one. For a long time I thought I was. I am glad we have sites like this one and others, so questions like this can be ask and information shared.

Miniskirts are electric JennaByNight's Avatar
    Well stated Amy. And now I know the US population with such precision... There's still over 2 million like me, using those figures... Pretty cool.

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    I am genuinely curious about this. But, almost in a selfish way I want the number to be low, as I like being unique in my circle of friends.
    It doesn't matter really how many of us that there are in the world, as long as we are all unique just like everyone else

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

There have been no definitive studies done.

I have yet to find empirical evidence for the number of either MTF or FTM cross-dressers in the U.S. I've seen anecdotal numbers used in a number of books I have read, but I have not been able to find the original study they mention.

Most of the times I have seen them take the Gay/Lesbian numbers (around 5%) and apply that to TG.

If I do a quick calculation and figure about a million people live in the Detroit Area, 1/2 of that male and 75% of that over the age of 18, I come to around 375,000 males. If I take just one percent of that you are looking at 3,750 cross-dressers. Even that seems high to me. I know of maybe 50 TG girls in the greater Detroit area so I'm wondering where the other 3,700 are. I'm sure there are CD's that are not even out to themselves, so it's possible I guess.

Bottom line, until someone does a comprehensive study, I don't think we'll know. I do know CD's out number TS's and MTF out number FTM.

-Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

I think that the real number is approaching 100%.... It just that 99% of the guys are too chicken to admit it! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

No interest

I really have no interest in finding out how many of us there are; as long as I can make some tg friends and have a fantastic time while beautified then I am satisfied.

If I take just one percent of that you are looking at 3,750 cross-dressers. Even that seems high to me. I know of maybe 50 TG girls in the greater Detroit area so I'm wondering where the other 3,700 are. I'm sure there are CD's that are not even out to themselves, so it's possible I guess.

-Tracy[/QUOTE]

The other 3,650 are apparently chained in their bedrooms! Your math is about right Tracy, or maybe even a little lower than that. The number of Gurls who are regularly "out" is probably way less than 1% of The overall TG Population.

I'll bet you The Numbers for this very site would average about 1% of The 30K that are here. That would be about 300 gurls who do most of The Goin' Out. Isn't it a pity.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    Various large-scale surveys have been done in the USA and Britain, and the results seem to correspond. They are:
    • About 25% of men have cross-dressed at least once in their lives (Hallowe'en, Mardi Gras, fancy dress party, etc)
    • About 10% have done it fairly often at some time in the past
    • About 4% do it regularly now.

And before anyone asks the other question:
    • About 6% of crossdressers are gay
    • About 15-20% of crossdressers are bisexual.
    MORAL: you are not alone.
    When? What do they call large-scale?

I recall some therapist saying Americans would be shocked if they knew the number of male politicians who wear panties.
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 10-04-2009 at 06:16 AM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

A question about how many of us there are

In the past, perhaps out of a desire to diminish feelings of guilt, I used to ponder the same question. There was a fairly comprehensive discussion in this thread: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=75150

My views are still the same as posted here: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...6&postcount=45

And, whilst I'm not sure the mathematics is truly 'scientific', we can't deny there is at least some logical argument behind the figures quoted here:
    http://www.vernoncoleman.com/downloads/mid.htm (~ 10%)

I'm glad I only just saw this thread my laptop is full of cookies as it is.
    The general concensus seems to go for around 10% of the male population crossdress on more than one occasion. I think thqat as so many are 'in the closet' there will never be a definitive figure found.
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Hard to say. Cders aren't exactly that eager to share that information, especially the secret ones.

I have personally known (in real life) four transsexuals, three gay crossdressers, and one bisexual crossdresser. I have never known one single straight male crossdresser that I was aware of. What is up with that? Why are you all playing so hard to get?

Thanks for all the replies.
    I was thinking that if being gay and being CD were completley unrelated, then doing a poll of gay people about CDing would give more honest results. (If they're open about one thing, they're more likely to be open/truthful about CDing too).

Oh and *gives deborah a cookie*

I don't know how many of us there are, or what the percentage is, but I do believe that there are a lot more of us than let on.

Hello again.
    This is something I've always been curious about. Just how many CDers are there? What percentage of the population do we make up? I was staggered when I joined to find over 30,000 members here.
    I've never been able to find any proper statistic over the years for this, so I was wondering if anyone here might know, or have a link to somewhere that does.

[SIZE="3"]Lots & lots more than will ever admit it.

Can I have a cookie anyway?
    [/SIZE]

Gold Member
    The numbers are always kinda interesting to look at, tho as others have said, it's likely even higher considering those that don't admit to it. In mind, the statistics are 100% crossdress!!! From a population of 1....ME!!!

Bilinda the housekeeper! Bilinda's Avatar
    I have an ongoing poll in my site that covers a range of things. So far, 39% say they are bisexual, 38% say they are straight. Very few say gay. In fact all my gay friends say they are scared of CD'ers!

40% say they are married, 39% say they are single.

28% say they have never gone out dressed, 26% say yes but only once or twice, 15% say no and not sure if they want to, 9% say they don't want to, and 7% say they go out dressed all the time!
    Don't put lipstick on dry lips unless you want it to stay on for 3 days!