Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They Are Just Clothes, Right?

They Are Just Clothes, Right?

She dressed me for the first time this weekend. We went shopping for this wonderful, purple babydoll looking outfit that sparkled perfectly with the necklace that I have worn every day since she gave it to me 2 years ago.

She also bought me these perfect stockings to wear. She put them one me and rubbed my legs over and over again, smiling. I know, for sure, that she enjoys playing with gender and crossing lines. I could tell from her eyes she was totally enjoying seeing me in these clothes.

Yet, I can't help but get stuck on the thought that, at the end of the day, these are just clothes, right?

But why do they mean so much? Why do they make both of our brains light up?

She says it's the power involved. It's hard to argue that!

Meghan
    "No matter how far you've gone down a wrong road, turn back."

~Turkish Proverb

Meghan, honestly I don't believe it is just about the clothes. Otherwise there would be no wigs, forms, body shaving, trimmed eyebrows, long hair & nails, makeup, accessories, attempts to soften the voice and adopt feminine mannerisms such as the walk, speaking a certain way, etc. I don't know how you fit into this, but the majority of CDers want the full femme experience, feeling femme as much as they can and be validated and respected as femmes.

But whatever it is for you, enjoy!!
    Reine

[QUOTE=ReineD;1902170]Meghan, honestly I don't believe it is just about the clothes. Otherwise there would be no wigs, forms, body shaving, trimmed eyebrows, long hair & nails, makeup, accessories, attempts to soften the voice and adopt feminine mannerisms such as the walk, speaking a certain way, etc. I don't know how you fit into this, but the majority of CDers want the full femme experience, feeling femme as much as they can and be validated and respected as femmes.

But whatever it is for you, enjoy!!

I agree 100% - Arlene Marie McCarthy - A Gurl 24/7 & Loving it.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Meghan, honestly I don't believe it is just about the clothes. Otherwise there would be no wigs, forms, body shaving, trimmed eyebrows, long hair & nails, makeup, accessories, attempts to soften the voice and adopt feminine mannerisms such as the walk, speaking a certain way, etc. I don't know how you fit into this, but the majority of CDers want the full femme experience, feeling femme as much as they can and be validated and respected as femmes.
    The majority you say? Here we go on another statistical dispute... I suppose if you take that literally as "50.001% or more" I'd buy that based on the number of people here who have expressed a desire to do the whole enchilada... but for many of us, it IS just the clothes and we have no interest whatsoever in the mannerisms, eyebrows, and all that other stuff you listed that I'm too lazy to scroll back and repeat.

And because I haven't reached my pain-in-the-ass quota today I'll also take issue with your use of "femme" as a noun. Is there some linguistic difference I'm not aware of between treated as a femme vs. being treated as a female/woman/girl?

Just clothes? Think symbolically.

What do the clothes represent?
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    The majority you say? Here we go on another statistical dispute... I suppose if you take that literally as "50.001% or more" I'd buy that based on the number of people here who have expressed a desire to do the whole enchilada... but for many of us, it IS just the clothes and we have no interest whatsoever in the mannerisms, eyebrows, and all that other stuff you listed that I'm too lazy to scroll back and repeat.

And because I haven't reached my pain-in-the-ass quota today I'll also take issue with your use of "femme" as a noun. Is there some linguistic difference I'm not aware of between treated as a femme vs. being treated as a female/woman/girl?
    You are correct. Based on all the threads I've read here, many more than 50% of CDs give the impression their CDing is more than just wearing the clothes. This is why I said most. I know there are some CDs to whom my statement does not apply.

I am French. In my language, "femme" (meaning woman) is a noun. The first time I heard the term used in conjunction with the CDing (by my SO), it was used as a noun. "I wish to present as "femme", or "I am going out en-femme (dressed as a woman)". Some people here have written, "getting all femmed-up (dolled-up), and to me this seemed odd. But, I don't take exception to it because I get what the members are getting at and I do not wish to take the focus away from the thread with a discussion about semantics.

I am asking other posters to this thread to keep their comments as they relate to the OPs question, and not turn her thread into a statistical or semantics dispute.
    Last edited by ReineD; 10-12-2009 at 01:55 AM.
    Reine

Stackings are NOT just items of clothing. They accentuate one's legs in so many ways. They look wonderful, they feel marvelous, they are sensational!

It is all in perception. If you dress just because you want to wear the opposite gender's clothing, then yes, it is just clothing. If you dress because you want to feel, be seen as, or believe yourself to be the other gender or as part of a fetish, then it is more than just clothes. You just have to keep in mind that while you may perceive things one way, the chances of other people sharing that exact perception are pretty slim.

Yes they are just clothes the same as a Rolls Royce,Ferrari or Bugatti are just cars but it is funny how being in different things can make you feel a lot different it is what these things represent to us in our minds that make all the difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

I think for many of us, it's not so much the clothes themselves, but the feeling of the clothes. If I'm underdressed and my legs are smooth, I still get the 'feeling' of being dressed. And it feels fantastic. And yes, if I'm fully dressed all my mannerisms change.
    I just want to look pretty.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Your wright they are cloths,but they make me whole. That is what they are to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post

I'll fit in here, thank you!!

It depends really. The outside usually reflects the inside.

Choosing a clothing style has a lot to do with identity. For me, it's a way to identify with or as "femme".
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

Just clothes..... But because your doing something your not supposed to be doing with those clothes!! Breaking the rules!! Not getting caught!!! Exciting!!

Bet if guys weren't allowed to wear jeans then everyone would be going crazy over them tooo?? Wait... Bad example...

Ok.......... if men weren't allowed to wear a neck tie!! Then everyone of us would be wearing a sexy necktie under our shirts!! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar

Of Course they are just clothes!! But!!!!

Sure, they are just clothes! But, Oh what a difference a dress makes!! Or a skirt and top, etc.!!!

I have no desire to become a woman! I just love to dress like one, and feel the soft flowing lines of my dress, skirt, or whatever with pretty panties underneath! To feel the soft wind blowing against and up my nylon clad legs all the way up to my satin or silk panties. Those feelings, which only a GG, or a MtF CD can appreciate, are why I dress! And why that particular type of clothing goes way beyond being "just clothes!!"
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I have a question for the Cders here. This is something that continues to confuse me. Im a GG and very new to this whole thing. I have heard many cders (mine included) that that whether they are dressed en-femme or drab that its still "my guy" underneath. Is it really? Because what everyone is say here is that its NOT just the clothes. That when you put them on you want to feel, act and be treated like a woman. So if thats the case then how can my SO still be "my guy" when dressed? Is this just an answer to get us to accept? Do tell.

Jean

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Actually, no, clothes are not "just clothes", otherwise we'd all dress the same, men or women. Clothes all through history are costume, statements about who we are, how we see ourselves, where we fit in society, whether we are conformists or rebels. From the banker in a three piece suit and a conservative tie expressing sobriety and responsibility to a goth in heavy eye makeup and all black clothing showing their disdain for social norms, to what we do, dressing in the clothes of the opposite sex because it expresses who we are way down where we live.

Our clothes show affiliation with a certain lifestyle, or economic class, or who we'd like to be. And by clothes, I'm not just talking about "threads" but other things that go along with a look, such as hairstyle, cosmetics, body art, jewelry and every other sort of adornment. Perhaps more to the point here, clothes also express how we feel about our gender.

Anyway, clothes aren't "just clothes" and probably never have been. No need to get too deep into it, though, just wear what you like and what makes you feel good and thank your stars you have an SO who is supportive and likes to have fun with you.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    Last edited by Joni Marie Cruz; 10-12-2009 at 09:48 AM.
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

To me, and remember it may not be the same for everyone...

but to me, it is to look, feel and present myself as female, the desire to express myself as a member of the softer gender, its not the clothes etc themselves.

I dont know if its unfortunate or a horrible side effect of my upbringing, but...

...while I love being dressed, particularly when I can do so for the whole day, and although I feel great all day and for several days after...

...I dont like that I have the urge to and gain such joy from doing something which is NOT socially accepted.

not just clothes

the clothes effect a transformation. they allow an inner and trapped person into the light. my job sometimes required me to adopt roles [not an actor] and those roles came with clothes and props but they were always just roles.
    my women's clothes lighten my body and my spirit, the dressed me is at peace within.
    as to the GGs question about the real guy being within; maybe yes maybe no. your SO obviously isn't completely satisfied in the role assigned to him by society based on his physical attributes, there is obviously a deeper need but is it any different from people who need to go backpacking or canoing in survivalist mode for a week or two a year? that also answers a basic need that can't be filled in day-to-day life...
    cross-dressing just hasn't achieved the social acceptance of some of the other self-actualization pursuits.... weekend warriors, garage bands, hunters, shooters, hot rod builders.. the list goes on..

Quote Originally Posted by jweanie1 View Post
    I have a question for the Cders here. This is something that continues to confuse me. Im a GG and very new to this whole thing. I have heard many cders (mine included) that that whether they are dressed en-femme or drab that its still "my guy" underneath. Is it really? Because what everyone is say here is that its NOT just the clothes. That when you put them on you want to feel, act and be treated like a woman. So if thats the case then how can my SO still be "my guy" when dressed? Is this just an answer to get us to accept? Do tell.

Jean
    Hello Jean,
    What is usually meant by that is that the person has always had these two sides to them "male and female" so in that respect they have always been the same person , but for most they have only been aloud to show their male side so that has been dominant in most relationships so when they say i am no different than i have always been they are right up to a point .
    But the problem is that in a lot of case`s once the female side has been aloud to come out it usually takes over the male side , don`t ask me why as i don`t know maybe it is simply that after being locked up for a long time it needs to be dominant before the person can get some sort of balance in the long run but unfortunately if this balance is not reach then one has to be dominant .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Aspiring Member
    or is it just a value thing ? as the "world and its thoughtfull inhabatance gets more syophisicoticatated" the most valuble thing is not big gun , a big house , a sworde that killed 50000. nope its the female form. it matters more than address, more than history more than the incurable desesessis that may come along with the package , it is not the base maniquine like anorexic form .....its the clothes.. the baby makiers clothes the most valuable thing inthe known universe babymakers.....the dead on avarage 16 year old babymakers. h ahahahahahhha you think too mutch !

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Oddly disturbing.

-JMC

Quote Originally Posted by suit View Post
    or is it just a value thing ? as the "world and its thoughtfull inhabatance gets more syophisicoticatated" the most valuble thing is not big gun , a big house , a sworde that killed 50000. nope its the female form. it matters more than address, more than history more than the incurable desesessis that may come along with the package , it is not the base maniquine like anorexic form .....its the clothes.. the baby makiers clothes the most valuable thing inthe known universe babymakers.....the dead on avarage 16 year old babymakers. h ahahahahahhha you think too mutch !
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Meghan you will get different responces here and it is my belief that over have will tell you the are not just clothes. For many they are not sensual. Whichever the case for you, you have someone to share it with. Be Happy some of us do not and wish we did.

Don't let all the trangendered folks on this crossdressers forum confuse you. There are many men who do NOT crossdress to 'get in touch with their feminine side' or wish to be treated like women when dressed, they may be like me and may be completely obsessed with womens clothes. I love shopping, buying, collecting and wearing womens clothing because I really like it. I don't feel more feminine when dressed, but the thrill of a nice pair of hose and a pretty lined dress is the same as it was when I was 15.

All the Best,
    Ann / SS