Thread: Habitat for Humanity?

Habitat for Humanity?

DSW (Dear Sweet Wife)and guy-me were driving over to our son's house this morning to help re-shingle his roof, and she mentioned that she had just signed up with her Curves-buddies to work on one of the Habitat for Humanity projects nearby. (BTW, Curves is a women's gym chain here in the Northeast - I don't know how far it spreads)

"Sign me up too" I said, feeling slightly guilty that I haven't done so sooner.

"The organization meeting is Monday, but we women probably won't be involved until ater the foundation and framing is done."

Obviously my thoughts ran to working with the girls as JJ, but since it is local and I know many of the families of the women at this branch of the gym I most definitely will not be joining as a sister.

But then I thought of the thread last week about doing guys' stuff while dressed...I'll bet that together we have the technical skill to put together a kick-fanny team of girls for one of these projects. I can't think of a better way to show ourselves as good citizens, while wearing girl-jeans (or shorts) tight T-shirts and pink work gloves.

Or is this a really dumb idea? DSW thought that the conservative/religious nature of H for H might create problems; I think that it might be a good opportunity to confront a little bigotry (if presented) with generosity and good will.

Obviously, we would probably want to do a project away from home in a relatively tolerant area. DSW suggsted that NewOrleans might be such a place.

Whatcha think?

-jj

Great idea! Not sure I'm willing to go to New Orleans, but sure we could find someplace. Best bet might be something in conjunction with one of the crossdressing events/conferences.

You're right -- we need to participate in community projects in some visible way. It has certainly worked for the image of bikers (motorcyclists for those in Rio Linda) in many places.

BTW, if the women's workout center that I belong to did a project like that I'd have to go en femme. I don't think they'd like the surprise of seeing me en drab.
    Last edited by Persephone; 10-31-2009 at 06:22 PM.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Jeans... Tight t-shirts... Short shorts... Pink gloves...

As fun as it sounds, will people recognize you as cross-dressers or gay guys? Not that either definition should matter, but I suspect the later... Maybe framing in a skirt might be a better choice? But as fun as it sounds, I couldn't bring myself to lug around my framing nailer in 4" heels!

Hopefully you'll get a good enough response in the area to get something going...

I'm no expert on Habitat for Humanity, but doesn't the homeowner help build? And then don't they throw a party for everyone who helped when the family takes posession?

Because if that's the case, I think my answer would be to identify the team as a group of crossdressers, make no pretentions to be anything else, and talk freely about it on site. But let the crew come to work each day dressed as manly as they please (or manlier), which makes practical/safety sense on a job site anyway. But then, on the day the keys get handed over... dress up so to the nines for the party that the folks who've been working alongside you so many weeks have trouble figuring out which of the lovely ladies present was which dude from the crew.

That might be fun.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Yes, the potential homeowner has to work on the house. It is called "Sweat Equity!" And yes, there usaully is party of sorts when the house and landscaping is all finished and the keys are turned over.

My Church has built 16 Habitat Houses and I have worked on many of them. Underdressed almost every time, but never worn a skirt on the job. My Church friends don't know about Stephanie! At least I don't think they do! Considering how often I go out as a guy in a skirt, maybe they do and just don't mention it!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!