Thread: It's expensive to be pretty

It's expensive to be pretty

Took a bunch of clothes to the cleaners yesterday. ( I mean a BUNCH ) of stuff. 8 blouses, 2 dresses, 1 wool sweater, 9 pair of dress trousers, my grandson's suit, and 2 skirts. Yowsa, did that dig deep into my purse.

Now, I had some time to, at least put on a skirt, before I went and did my errands. Went to Home Depot for some epoxy, a new staple gun, and a few more work gloves, ( the nylon, nitrile coated ones are really good to protect your hands ). No strange looks, that I noticed, in fact a compliment from one of the ladies there about my shoes, ( loafers with 3/4 inch platform sole and a 2" heel ). Left there and headed to cleaners. Walked in carrying all of it still on some hangers. Easier to transport from car to counter. The lady at the counter starts counting to items and putting them in the correct bag. we chat a bit about weather and I compliment the seamstress for the nice job on my grandson's suit pant and the hemming job she did. By this time the item count is finished and she's adding up the final tally. I know it ain't gonna be cheap, and that's OK with me. Too lazy to do the Woolite thing and besides I like a bit of starch in my blouses, and I can't iron clothes well, never learned how to do it right. So, I have to pay the price.
    She gives my the receipt, I look at it and give a slight whistle and a "hoo boy" thing.
    I hadn't noticed the next customer come in and stand behind me. She says, "It cost money to be pretty, doesn't it?" Turning around I look at her and without missing a beat I reply, "It's all part of the cost of enjoyment"
    No comment about a GUY wearing a skirt or anything else, just a matter of fact observation. Wished them both a nice day and left to finish my errands

FREEDOM feels so good
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

I hear ya sister,,, must of spent thousands already and we all know thousands more to come
    Only friends can call me Amy,,, so if your reading this your a friend.

The Band QUEEN Quote " I want to be free"

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    Thrift stores such as Goodwill are bargin basements. There's a "Church Mouse" thrift shop that have very, very expensive stuff when new but for a fraction of the price now. Consignment shops are also great for jewery, and everything else. And it's really fun to shop in those places because THE PRICE IS RIGHT and the VARIETY IS ENDLESS. The merchandise changes often so even if you visit twice a month it's always "new". My favorite skirts were purchased at Goodwill, matter of fact. Like for a $1.00 I got a $45 skirt.
    And if it doesn't fit right or look right when you get it home, so what? Next time you go back you "re-donate" it. Since it's so darn cheap to start with, it's certainly no big deal. It's a great way to spend a Saturday and you don't even have to dress to do it.

I know it's probably cheaper to buy my clothes at a thrift store and when they're in need of cleaning simply donate them, and buy more. Who knows but that in a week or so I'll see that same dress on the rack, now cleaned and at less than the cost of having it cleaned myself.

There's just something about buying new at a REAL store and caring for my trophys, or treasures, or how ever you look at your clothes.
    (I can find my own way)

Being a gurl is expensive! But worth it,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by GinnySmith View Post
    Being a gurl is expensive! But worth it,,,,,,,
    Ya think?

It's not the cost of doing this, but the occasional accepting comment or even a neutral statement without any condemnation is what makes it all worth while.
    (I can find my own way)

Yea on thrift shops for nice clothing. In fact, in posh places the women often have the clothes dry cleaned before donating, which is great.

What's really expensive is nice makeup - but once you've tried it you'll never want to go back. The Sephora store might as well be selling crack - I don't care what it costs, just give it to me!

Phyliss, I definately agree with you, many women seem to not care at all, and in fact many also seem to really like it. I actually had to say 'TMI' to a woman the other day when I was at a thift shop en femme - I can't remember exectly what she said, but it was of a highly personal female genitalia type nature, something she probably never would have said within earshot of a man eventho she was standing right next (shoulder-to-shoulder) to a fairly obvious guy-in-a-dress.

I really don't mind what beauty costs because it's sooooo much damn fun!!!!

All the Best,
    Ann / SS

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyliss View Post
    Took a bunch of clothes to the cleaners yesterday. ( I mean a BUNCH ) of stuff. 8 blouses, 2 dresses, 1 wool sweater, 9 pair of dress trousers, my grandson's suit, and 2 skirts. Yowsa, did that dig deep into my purse.
    It may be expensive, but it is certainly worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by skirtsuit View Post
    What's really expensive is nice makeup - but once you've tried it you'll never want to go back. The Sephora store might as well be selling crack - I don't care what it costs, just give it to me!
    Hmmm.... Crossdresser Crack. Has a ring to it.

Ya think?

It's not the cost of doing this, but the occasional accepting comment or even a neutral statement without any condemnation is what makes it all worth while.
    [SIZE="2"]
    Phyliss,
    You couldn't have said it any better.....
    Susan
    [/SIZE]

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyliss
    Too lazy to do the Woolite thing and besides I like a bit of starch in my blouses, and I can't iron clothes well, never learned how to do it right. So, I have to pay the price.
    There's just something about buying new at a REAL store and caring for my trophys, or treasures, or how ever you look at your clothes.

[SIZE="2"]I never learned the Woolite thing either, Phyliss – anything precious and beautiful I would take to the dry cleaners, and I have plenty of wool garments. I like to iron, though – my sister taught me the proper way to do it one night. It’s really fun ironing a pleated skirt, plus you get to fuss over it, spending more time with it in the process! BTW, always iron while you’re dressed up…

I have new and used clothes, and I know what you mean about “caring for your trophies.” I see new clothes as treasures, or fetish objects, and they were very hard to come by – my women’s clothes get the royal treatment, while my drab stuff is strewn about in heaps, abandoned by choice…

It is indeed “expensive to be pretty,” but worth every penny…[/SIZE]

You do know that if you drop those off en drab, and have them listed as shirts and pants instead of blouses and slacks, you will pay less... The skirts and dresses you probably can't get a pass on...
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

I hear you, girls!. Luckily i have a job that allows me to wear jeans and tshirts as a boy so i can neglect my male wardrobe a little. I'm too poor to look good as both!