Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do u hate, "Drag queens"?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Why do u hate, "Drag queens"?

I've been on this site for over 2 years. I've read posts, mostly accepting, some NOT, about almost every single type of CD. Including odd old ME!

Except for Drag Queens! Who seem to be universally reviled here!
    ( I KNOW I'm generalizing. But, I think u GET what I mean!)

If I had started dressing in my 20's/30's, I MAY have explored being one! Getting up on stage, and strutting your hot fem stuff, appeals to me even NOW!

Other than jealousy, (MOST CDs would probably get laffed off stage, including ME), what do u have against drag queens?

I just don't get it!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I have a friend on Facebook that is a Dragqueen right here in Iowa! She's a year or so younger than me, but I used to date friends of hers when I was back in high school(early to mid 90's). She is absolutely b-e-a-utiful and funny! I have no problems with drag queens at all.

Suzanne

Good question sherry . I just love drag queens and I think some people here based on some responses label them as just gay female impersonators that ridiculise women.

Red face

Im new here,but have no problem's with drag queen's.

for 1.most of them are straight,at least one's i have seen

I have seen them listed even on wiki as "flamboyant female crossdresser's

they choose to dress in womans cloth's and still look like men imop. look at the budwiser drag queen's from there ladie's night's commercial "i loved that commercial by the way"

but i would like to know what people have aginst them,after all there human like you and me and have the same set of feeling's that can just as easily but hurt
    Your life is a series of moment's,for each one passed is another one lost.

In general I have no problems with Drag Queens, but I also don't relate to them the way I do other crossdressers because a lot of them only dress up for it as a performance art and that's it, which isn't the same in my opinion. More power to them though for doing what they want and some of them look so great that I sort of hate them in a fun way because they can pull off looks that I can't yet they only care to when onstage and take it for granted the rest of the time.

I think the issue some people have with them though is that Drag Queens tend to be the thing people think about when they hear "crossdresser" so when they think about us they picture the over the top, flamboyancy of the performance art, and don't take it seriously.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

B.B.C.D. & D.Q.I.T. Chloe' Buffington's Avatar

Drag Queens

I like Drag Queens, they strive to be the best female performer they can be. As my signature line states, D.Q.I.T. stands for Drag Queen In Training. I have performed and competed in a couple of pagents too. I figure if you don't pass , like me, be flamboyant.
    Life is too short to not be who you are.

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    A crossdresser and a drag queen are two seperate things, like a VW Bug and a Greyhound bus.
    A drag queen is more of a mimic by exaggerating everything a woman does, from using way too much eyebrow pencil and lipstick, to wearing outfits that hurt the eyes. A drag queen has no hope, nor desire, to "pass".
    A crossdresser, on the other hand, desires to "pass".
    Maybe that's not the best definition, but I think it'll work.

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    A long time ago i had a single bad experience with a drag queen. We were both in the same performance company and she apparantly didn't appreciate that I was getting the majority of the compliments and tips during the numbers... ergo... she tossed a wad of chewing gum into my wig back in the dressing dept while I was changing into drab..

I went through a period of reviling DQs because of that, but I grew up since and realized that lumping everyone into the same category because of ONE bad moment was a stupid thing to do.

Today I have lots of great DQ friends and we share makeup tips, perform together and enjoy what we have.

Glad I learned a lesson.

*hugs*

Zarabeth
    (Formerly known everywhere as Lady Zarabeth

I love Drag Queens!!! They are so over the top and a real art form.....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I don't know any DG's therefore have no real opinion. Maybe they overdo thier makeup, I don't know. I see only what I have read or seen on Television and therfore by opinion is without substance. I'll check back and try to understand them more by your posts.

When I was a kid at about the age of 8 or 9 my only exposure to men who crossdressed were the female impersonators or "drag queens" who they would rarely but ocaisionally trot out on shows like Ed Sullivan and Red Skelton. It seemed almost mind boggling and exotic that somewhere on the coastal areas of this country,probably in New York or L.A.,certain men wore full female outfits,shaved their legs,did makeup,etc.and visa versa. Up until about 1967 there was almost NO public mention of ANYTHING LGBT or TG/TS/CD even on Television or in the newspapers. These drag queens were a break in the cold war era Victorianism and monotony.

Some of my best friends are drag queens. . . .Anyone who can walk in platform heels has my respect.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Exclamation Hate is Such a Strong Word...

I don't like to be confused with them is all. I love them very much, but every time I talk to a straight person about my cross-dressing they're like, "Oh yes, I saw this drag show while in Key West...".

And I'm glad my straight friends have a reference point and they are trying to relate to my CDing, but what we do is different. I think of what we strive for is more of a what I would call being a Gender Illusionist.

Also, I believe the drag queen personae comes from a place of anger. Where the gay person that does a drag queen show is saying, "Hey society, this is what I think of your rules, I'll do what I want!" This is just my amateur hour psychology evaluation. Most of the drag queens that I have met are gay and have no desire to be female all the time. There are exceptions.

So, no I don't hate them, just don't want to be confused as one of them. Like another friend of mine said to me when I showed them my picture of Tracy, "Hey, do you do shows?" No, but, maybe I should! LOL

-Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

Gold Member
    It's just good ol discrimination within.

See, it is funny cause there is a lot of internal discrimination.
    You know the whole thing like some TS think they are above CD's, or how the more passable TS think that a non-passing one is not a "real" TS, etc.

a DQ is not really part of the transgender spectrum as we know it.

Me, I am indifferent to DQ's. Once in a blue moon I don't mind watching a performance, but I don't really have any personal opinions of them either way.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I have nothing against them whatsoever.... Like all people, some are good some are bad....

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    It's just good ol discrimination within.

See, it is funny cause there is a lot of internal discrimination.
    You know the whole thing like some TS think they are above CD's, or how the more passable TS think that a non-passing one is not a "real" TS, etc.

a DQ is not really part of the transgender spectrum as we know it.

Me, I am indifferent to DQ's. Once in a blue moon I don't mind watching a performance, but I don't really have any personal opinions of them either way.
    Why not you seem to have an opinion about everything else.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

I LOVE this and agree whole heartedly!

Quote Originally Posted by CherylFlint View Post
    A crossdresser and a drag queen are two seperate things, like a VW Bug and a Greyhound bus.
    Drag Queens are one of those categories of people that I don't HATE, I just wouldn't want one of my children to marry one. They could certainly bring them home for dinner though. I think a lot of people have a problem with ANY type of personality that is extreme and Drag Queens very often fit in that category. I have a feeling that's the reason so many people don't like them.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I have the highest respect for the Drag Queen and Drag King community here in Winnipeg.....
    I praise them for what they do for charities, children, and the people that compose the LGBT* community.

as for this quote
    A drag queen is more of a mimic by exaggerating everything a woman does, from using way too much eyebrow pencil and lipstick, to wearing outfits that hurt the eyes. A drag queen has no hope, nor desire, to "pass".
    A crossdresser, on the other hand, desires to "pass".
    Maybe that's not the best definition, but I think it'll work.
    You have lots more to observe there, sweetie.........

I live in a community where the LGBT community is a bit limited, none of the less we have 4 gay bars, and all of them have drag shows. Some of the performers are just drag, some are living full time. Just because they perform at shows doesn't nessasarily mean that they are just "gay men doing a show in drag"

Now, the girls who do perform wheter living as a male or female, all go over the top. Dress in gowns, and clothing that most people would not wear to a night club even.

I actually did do an amateur show once....WHEW!!! it is nerve wrecking!!! Never again!!! And I'm not big on dressing up in the gowns and I can't wear haflt the stuff they can or choose to either!!

But they are fun to see!

Project Runway Season 5 - Hedda Lettuce. Absolutely loved her.

Ru Paul ... not so much.

Could be a combination of fem and humor; idk really.

Kroma
    --------

"The road less traveled," is often less traveled for a reason ... mine is 6" stiletto's.

I dont hate Drag Queens at all. I know someone that works at a local club and does shows a few nights a week. The only hate I have is sort of a jealousy in that I wish I had that sort of talent.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

I don't hate drag queens.
    warmly, Linnea

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    I have some close friends that are Drag Queens. How could someone hate them. Darling I find myself jealous of them. This simple little Donna Reid midwestern gal would love to throw on the huge hair and just go totally over the top in order to entertain, but it just isn't in me. That is what makes me so special and them so special. There are too few of us to define ourselves so narrowly. We need to just have one huge communal hug and realize we are all sisters.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I love Drag Queens!!! They are so over the top and a real art form.....

Quote Originally Posted by beachmama View Post
    I LOVE this and agree whole heartedly!

[SIZE="3"]Quote:
    Originally Posted by CherylFlint
    [/SIZE]

Drag Queens are one of those categories of people that I don't HATE, I just wouldn't want one of my children to marry one. They could certainly bring them home for dinner though. I think a lot of people have a problem with ANY type of personality that is extreme and Drag Queens very often fit in that category. I have a feeling that's the reason so many people don't like them.
    [SIZE="3"]I have to agree with both of these posts. One because I do agree with them, secondly because Beachmama, is my wife, and we do agree on alot of things.[/SIZE]
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

8rys, going on walkabout
    I don't hate drag queens. I don't care for when they throw shade.
    I love the over the top makeup, it is an art form.

My SO has done drag, I have many friends who do/done drag, I am planning on doing an amateur night, but just keep chickening out.

I have a bad theory that many who are bitter about drag queens. I think, these people feel Queens, who are a separate although related group, misrepresent CD's. And since the general public tends to lump both groups together.
    This causes some CD's distress since Queens often have different "motivations" to dress.

I also am willing to bet CD's who have the most repulsion are also those who are the most concerned about keeping their secret from family and society.
    Most likely my little theory, is just me talking out my rear.
    Last edited by Chloe Renee; 11-06-2009 at 01:48 AM. Reason: I tried to flesh the theory out so it may not be offensive