Thread: A pain in the ............ foot

A pain in the ............ foot

A couple of months back I went to my health centre with an unpleasant pain in the arch of my right foot. The diagnosis was inflammation of the tissue, probably caused when I was working up a ladder (the shape of the rungs meaning that all my weight was resting on the arches of my feet).

Since then the pain comes and goes. It often seems to be the day after I have spent time dressed, and I wonder if my lovely 4 inch heels could be causing me difficulty here? Is there a risk of permanent injury?

It would also be interesting to hear if anyone else has had this problem.

I can only imagine the reaction going back to the health centre and asking - "Hey Doc, d'ya think this pain is caused by my high heels?"

Susan

I doubt your pain was caused by your high heels because most of your weight is on the ball of your foot and the rest on the heel and high heels generally have very good arch support. The worst thing to wear on ladders are running shoes, especially if the ladder has round rungs as opposed to flat ones. You should be wearing a good work boot preferably with a steel shank in the sole on ladders.
    You don't have to have been born female to enjoy being a girl

I agree with the shoes causing the pain-doubt it. I have a lot of plantar facia issues due to years of walking on concrete factory floors. If the heels fit properly they should not cause any pain. I wear 3.5-4.5 regularly.

I have noticed that many higher heels don't match my foot. When this happens, I soon notice it in the arch. If the shoe dos not immediately match the bottom of your foot, it is probably best to replace it. I have some that my foot will seem to form to but, they are not comfortable long term and I know it when I take them off. The really comfortable ones, I can wear as long as I want and any soreness from placing more weight on the balls of my feet is gone almost immediately, arches not bothersed at all.

It is well documented that women wearing high heels do have foot issues over time... And as you age it gets worse.. I had foot pain so bad I went to the poditrist and she had me go get custom orthonic insoles which I wear only on my right foot.. The pain went away and as long as I weae them most of the time.. I had a second set made for my fem shoes.. $100 a set but not having pain its worth it!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

as we all know heels are not friendly to our feet , but foot problems can be caused by lots of things , so take advice from a foot speaclist ,!!

i have just been through a tricky operation on my ankle as they found a cyste inside my heel bone . i too wondered a bit like you ,was it caused by my increased use of heels and for longer periods , on one could say what it caused it so , i can only guess if it was my heels or not .

like others say make sure your shoes fit , even though we love high heels , and they can be uncomfortable , they still should fit and surport the foot as much as such a shoe can .

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Only if they're NOT high enuff!

I find my feet r more comfortable if my heels r 4', or higher.

Then, whatever discomfort I have, is usually found in my toes!

Never my heel or arches!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Dee View Post
    It would also be interesting to hear if anyone else has had this problem.

I can only imagine the reaction going back to the health centre and asking - "Hey Doc, d'ya think this pain is caused by my high heels?"
    Hello Susan. Yes, they hurt the next day. And yes, as Karen says, there are reasons to believe they should.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Maybe Brina and Pernille hit the nail -
    Quote Originally Posted by pernille d View Post
    like others say make sure your shoes fit , even though we love high heels , and they can be uncomfortable, they still should fit and support the foot as much as such a shoe can
    I think that maybe this is the answer, and it's the particular pair of 4 inch heels I have that are the problem. Yesterday I wore a pair of 3 inch heels nearly all day. They were really comfortable - and no after affects today,

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Beth View Post
    You should be wearing a good work boot preferably with a steel shank in the sole on ladders.
    What - with my best evening gown? Sorry Jenny Beth, only joking

I guess I will wear a stronger pair when I am up the ladder (and have a talk with my podiatrist in general terms about arch support....).

Susan

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    When I went to my Podiatrist with Plantar Facia issues, he prescribed high heels! Not 3 or 4 inch ones, but something like 1 1/2" or 2". He said more men than women have foot problems because we (men) generally wear almost flat shoes with no arch support. Karren is right, a good Orthotic arch support will always help. I have good arches, but as we age(you girls, not me) they tend to flatten, thus the need for more support. BTW, the doctor does wear heels himself!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Hi Stephanie

Like your post - I just bought a pair of 2 inch heels two days ago. Blue leather T-bars, with ruffles up the length of the T.

Just what the doctor ordered !