Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bearded Ladies

Bearded Ladies

There were comments in a recent thread about how beards do not fit into peoples image of crossdressing. I have to admit that for almost 20 years I hid Robyn behind a big bushy Santa Claus beard. I was still an active crossdresser even with a beard, though I did not go out in public. I think my wife was comfortable keeping Robyn hidden with a beard, too.

All my early pictures were taken from the neck down.

Now when I walk down the street and see someone with a beard I ask myself, what is he hiding? Is he one of us?

I had to shave off my beard for a work issue. I was so relieved to have an excuse to get rid of my 20 year old beard.

My question is how many of us have hidden ourselves behind beards? How many still do?

What was it like when you finally say yourself in her full glory?

To answer these questions for myself,

I hid for 20 years, and wish I had not.

The first pictures I took of Robyn dressed, full makeup and hair were magical and to this day are some of my favorite pictures.

Bottom line, in my book beards can fit with crossdressing, but if you are hiding behind one consider letting yourself free.

Robyn

I hid for 15 years, my beard was down to my chest. My beard was proof to the world that I was a man, along with my size it made me look intimidating and kept people at a "safe" distance.

I cried when I saw myself for the first time in many years.

If a person identifies as male, why shouldn't he wear a beard? And just who are we to tell a man he can't wear a dress?

I was a mailman on foot in the Boston area for thirty years. I grew my beard every year not to hide behind but to keep my face warm as I was walking in the snow and sleet. I couldn't wait until early spring to get it off. I don't think you can look like a woman in a beard.

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    Yeah I hid behind one for about 3 years and I "accidentally" shaved a portion off! I later found out I felt better without it!

I was in high school and junior high from 1968 to 1974 and my whiskers came in early when I must've been 14 or 15. those were the days of rap sessions,folded arms and a kind of "I don't care-ism" which some people tried to exude. Although I knew deep down that I had an interest in crossdressing and I'd known this since I was 7 or 8,I grew an ocaisional "ho-hum,I don't care" beard or mustache. Finally,when I was in my early twenties (and I had already started to go out and shop for clothes)I decided I should be clean shaven always and not just part of the time.

Maybe some of you remember there was for about 2 or 3 years a trend among "transvestites" as all of us were called back then towards delicately sculptured beards,goatees,mustaches,sideburns that looked sort of like Carmen Ghia in The Producers. This was called "skag drag". Skag Drag was back around 1975-1976-1977. There was even a skag drag rock band called the Cycle ****s! As for me, I like myself better clean shaven. But I've seen plenty in my life and I can't say I've never seen a bearded crossdresser!

[SIZE="3"]I had a beard for over 25 years. I did not feel I was hiding behind it at the time, however in retrospect I probably was.
    It is nice to feel the cool breeze and direct sunshine on my face. I am so glad it is gone.
    [/SIZE]
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

I did exactly that, I had a beard for 25 or so years , kept my hair very short, had a permanent scowl and I'm huge for want of a better word. It worked and fooled everyone but me.
    Well behaved Women rarely make history

Hi Robyn
    I have had a beard for 33 years , I am not hiding anything it is part of who I am as a man , I don't dress in public and probably wouldn't if I did shave my beard , I am comfortable with who I am as a man and cross dresser.
    Tomara

I've had a beard for 25 years. I 've shaved it 3 times during those years so I could attend Chicago Gender Society Christmas party. I prefer my look with the beard as a man, but obviously not when dressed. I would probably shave it all the time but my wife insists I keep, and I'm sure part of the reason is to keep me in the house when dressed.

[SIZE="2"]OMG Robyn, what a great thread. I didn't grow a beard, I went about it with a mustache. I wanted to give up crossdressing many years ago and thought the mustache would keep me from doing it. It worked for a short while but mot for to long. Of coarse it involved a purge.....glad I don't do that any more!!
    LOL Susan
    [/SIZE]

As the twig is bent... Leslie Foxx's Avatar
    Had mine from 1971 to 2005. At the time I hoped it would suppress my feminine self. For some strange reason it just didn't work.
    [SIZE="3"]Leslie[/SIZE]

"In these shoes?"

Yes, I was a bearded lady for many years. I think it was part of my progression in CDing that one day I finally could no longer tolerate all that hair on my face (even when in drab) so I shaved it off. It was only the start though, and I have since removed nearly all my body hair as well!
    Unfortunately not much grows on my head...
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

You know this makes me think again about men who wear long beards all the time
    "hmmm, that bushly looking guy just might wear high heels when nobody is around"

I am clean shaven and always have been (I'm only 23 though). I started shaving in high school and I shave before I go to work in the morning every day.
    What I do by myself is my own business, but at work I am a man.

I think I would look older if I had some facial hair, but I sort of like that people underestimate my age - I've been asked what grade I am in high school recently.
    I suppose that my facial hair does help with my CDing hobby though

haven't shaved upper lip since 1980.

but I now go out in normal public venues--shopping, dining--fully dressed en femme, but wearing my handlebar as well. I don't want to give it up, even for a couple of months, but I often have skipped dressing for a few months. Cross dressers don't like it, but the general public takes no notice. I get lots of compliments on the 'stache from men & women while I am in drab. In drag, ladies sometimes compliment my outfit or jewelry.
    I have played with full & partial masks , but haven't yet come close to my "Mission Impossible" dream of a fitted, feminine face that people accept as normal.

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

I tried a beard once, made me look old.

30 years ago, that would have been the plan "yessir I am 30, not 18 like I look. Yessir I am old enough to drink. Yessir just look I have a beard." Now I want to look younger "Aren't you going to card me? Maybe I am just gray for my age? Damn punk bouncers anyway...why I was sneaking in here when yo mama was still in elementary school"

OK, I did have a mustache for maybe 6 years, never shaved my upper lip, never had to trim it and on several occasions I was asked it I had dirt on my lip. Can I go back and start over?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I have a mustache I've had since my late teens... er circa 1978; in the past year I've shaved it off a number of times but always let it grow back. My SO prefers it and I feel like I draw attention to myself among those who know me, it's been a part of me for so long.

Honestly, I do think I'm having my own issues doing without it. I've hidden behind it for a very long time.

As for the hair on my head... at least one respondent mentioned not having much "up top". Mine's pretty dicey, at best.

However, since SO prefers it longer, I'd like to try growing it really long- to a length I could try to style or curl, maybe blend in with a 'fall' or extension.
    Sadly my occupation doesn't lend itself to long hair (culture and job safety) and my hair is pretty thin anyway.
    Right now, it's 'boy cut' and I'm not real happy with the status quo. Buzz cut is just easiest to deal with and is no issue beneath a wig.
    Last edited by DinaMature; 11-09-2009 at 04:12 PM.
    The older I get, the more real I feel. And what I feel is not all that I am. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please visit me on Facebook - Dina Walker http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003166749185

One time for Halloween my wife and I changed places so you know the drill I wore here clothes and she wore mine, well that year I had my only beard I was 6'8" in heels and wore a dress and handed out candy, it was fun everyone loved it,

The beard was too high maintenance , so I shaved it the next spring but kept the mustache.

My mustache is older than 1/2 the country. I love it, so much a part of me i have watched it change color shape size texture for over 40+ years.

It ain't goin nowhere. I dyed my hair once and the beautician colored my eyebrows and mustache, I looked like Don Ameche, what a hoot that was.
    A Rose by any other name.....[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]

Love Rebecca Jayne

Brilliant thread!

I started growing a moustache as soon as it appeared on my upper lip - also grew my hair long! Hair decided to leave home, married, and the day I shaved my moustache off I got grief from my partner - so I tried a mix... beard, part beard... eventually I have settled for a "designer stubble" look - this has worked well for many years. Mind you I am lacking in hair on top and the look works well in male mode. In fact... in male mode I look better with a stubbly (short cropped) beard. At work it works - it is who I am - sometimes with a designer beard, sometimes not. At home it works for the same reason.

I am not "hiding" Kaz... but as soon as I have a chance... off comes the stubble and the adrenaline is something else! Two days later... I am back to stubbly male... if that is what I want.

So for me... Kaz and I are one... I aren't necessarily hiding with a beard... but it is very much part of my "male" image...

Beard cover... now that is a different issue.. and thread!

Best,
    Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Jayne View Post

It ain't goin nowhere. I dyed my hair once and the beautician colored my eyebrows and mustache, I looked like Don Ameche, what a hoot that was.
    Donna who?

If you watch commercials, you know when you dye your hair and mustache you get a GF and a new job. Must be true they wouldn't lie on TV would they?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Just an average girl Carole Cross's Avatar
    I hid behind a moustache for 21 years. It started after having an accident on my bike and needing stiches in my upper lip. I couldn't shave there for a while so I decided to let it grow and as I was in a period of denial about my gender issues, I decided to keep it, to keep my secret hidden. I only shaved it off once durting that time and let it grow back.

I finally shaved it off for good last year when I decided I had to go through with my transition. Now after four laser sessions I cant grow it any more because there is very little regrowth.
    living the dream

I have a beard, don't feel like I'm hiding anything, am totally out about wearing dresses, and have no intention of shaving it off.

I had a beard for about ten years and was very much in the closet. When I shaved I started going out. Do not miss the bear at all.
    I may grow the moustache back so I can look like my grandmother.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

I have a beard and love it, just wish I was accepted wearing tights, skirts, and heels......I love who I am just cant dress how I want to...

Gold Member
    Had a moustache for almost 30 years. Never felt I was hiding as I never felt any pull towards dressing until a few years ago. I did then dress at home with it which made the clothes as far as I went. I recently shaved it off and now the desire to do more is there. So there probably was a realization that I wanted to do more in the end. It just took the visual of seeing the moustache gone to bring those thoughts to the forefront.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I shaved it all off at the SCC;

in Atlanta in Sep. And "hid" in makeup for 3 days!

Didn't like the way the "old lady" looked in makeup, any better than I like the "old man", without the beard and stash!

So, I grew it all back! And I'm HAPPY again!

And the BEST PART is, nothing I do to my face effects how Sherry looks!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!