Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The dark side of Cross dressing

I just read thru this artical and i have to say, what a tool. he could not find happiness him self so he want's to self destruct the entire crossdressing commuinty? There is some truth in the Masterbation with fem cloth's as a teen with some cd's im sure. and some people see it as "going aginst the grain" but i do see the hideing for most of us.

Im not going to put any stock in that artical,if it make's you feel good and it's not hurting anyone i say do it. If joe public dont like it guess what,there a 360 degree view in the world and im taking up 1% dont like the view look somewhere eles
    Your life is a series of moment's,for each one passed is another one lost.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Susant
    It's quite and in depth article and I can identify with many of the points made. It has set me thinking ( and worried me) about how I go forward
    [SIZE="2"]Damn the worries and full speed ahead!!! I read the article…[/SIZE]

I think that cross dressing has a "dark side." There are a lot of behaviors connected with it that aren't healthy at all. Aside from being fraught with secrecy, guilt and diminished self-esteem, a CD's life can get out of control. Many CDs become obsessed with their self-feminization. Some lose all sense of judgment, balance, and perspective. Some let their cross dressing jeopardize important personal relationships and responsibilities. Some let the desire to dress turn them into social pariahs who reject the straight world entirely and rely solely on other CDs for companionship, direction, and support. Some CDs come to swim in an exclusive cross dressing milieu. That milieu sometimes exhibits a herd mentality which uses peer pressure to challenge its members to press envelopes and engage in activities that aren't altogether wise or salutary.
    [SIZE="2"]Well, of course it has a “dark” side, which only means it has a “light” side as well. You’re looking at it! Someone out there doesn’t like the idea of crossdressing, so everyone else has to hear about it. I feel sorry for the person who wrote this article, because this “someone” has no idea of the whole picture of crossdressing – it’s a disease, everyone, and here’s how to cure it, blah, blah…

I would suggest reading every article about crossdressing, then reject them all and tap into your own feelings, because, in the end, that’s all that matters in this crazy world. I have a lot of art books, and most of them are written by highly educated well-meaning people that don’t know what end of the paintbrush to grab. How do I know this? Because I’m an actual artist, and I can spot verbosity for its own sake immediately. I suspect the author of this article thinks they are doing society a service, but in reality they are herding societal outcasts into an area where they can be more easily targeted for ridicule and rejection. And I smell something else – the pungent odor of those particular members of society that have been making life hard for all free-thinkers for the past 2000 years (guess who?). They want us all to think alike, so we can be more easily exploited for the purposes of increasing their power and influence. Notice the words that crop up in these articles – "some" and "many," for example, yet, if you even browse this site for a few minutes you will find many, many lifestyles and viewpoints that negate this spurious, ill-conceived and inflammatory article. Look around and feel GOOD about crossdressing – don’t listen to anyone outside of this (our) particular “envelope” (GOD, how these pseudo-intellectuals love to employ that overused chestnut)…[/SIZE]

Cross dressing is not only a symbolic rejection of a socially assigned gender role. It is also a highly sexual act. Most CDs get their start by combining elements of pubescent cross dressing with a great deal of private masturbation.
    [SIZE="2"]Wrong -- DEAD wrong, in my case! I can only safely and accurately talk about myself, but everything covered in the above two sentences does not apply to my particular brand of crossdressing. Why has my happy-go-lucky existence as a transvestite been ignored? I know why, because it doesn’t fit into their plans for societal cleansing – is it any wonder that I stay far away from any organized thinking? See what happens – you’re all set to have some fun (for a change, perhaps), and along come the guardians of societal correctness to spoil the party. Someone should write an article titled “The Sunny Side Of Crossdressing” – that would be more like it, but I guarantee you few people will ever get to read it, as long as the Thought Police are allowed to “edit” reality…

I’m sorry you read this “dark” article, Susan – please continue as if nothing happened… [/SIZE]

Duality sometimes hurts.. PetiteDuality's Avatar
    Yes, maybe the article is old and I certainly don't agree or feel identified by many things said in there.

However, I think that is plain stupid to deny that crossdressing can actually have a dark side. And you can actually read a lot about the dark side in this forum: broken marriages. Guilt. Loneliness. Self centered people. Obsessions. Inadequate relationships. Etc, etc, etc.

Of course, many people suffer things like that without being crossdressers. But many of us suffer some of them because of crossdressing.

I know that this is a support forum, but support does not imply to remove the ugly faces that crossdressing might have. Support is to tell the truth ans share experiences about how to be happy with whatever choice we take, including taking responsibility for our decisions.

Thank you for taking the interest in reading and contributing to this thread.Your posts have certainly got me thinking and trying to reason out whether to go forward ( or indeed not going forward) with my dressing.
    One points that has come up in some of the posts and indeed in many of the threads in this forum is the the need to tell your spouse. I think there
    are several senarios and questions to be answered.
    If you are sure that your spouse will accept do you share?
    It would seem that the obvious answer would be yes.
    If you are not sure, do you share?
    It's a big risk. It can work out but if it doesn't and your marriage and life is ruined is it worth the risk?
    If you know for sure that your spouse will not or is not capable of accepting your crossdressing what do you do?

Is it disrespecting not to tell your spouse in this case?
    I am a hetrosexual, who is a happy as a male and have no desire to change sex. I have no desire to dress in public and only wish to dress in a private and relatively discreete way that I hope hurts nobody including myself.
    I find it hard to put all the thoughts in my down in writing and so some of the above does not totally come out the way I want it to.
    I deeply value your thoughts , opinions and advice.

Love
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by susant View Post
    If you know for sure that your spouse will not or is not capable of accepting your crossdressing what do you do?
    1. You hide it from her, eventually get caught and deal with the consequences; or,
    2. you reach an agreement with her wherein you do it but she doesn't want anything to do with it, which probably won't satisfy either one of you; or,
    3. you walk away from CDing and don't look back.

Is it disrespecting not to tell your spouse in this case?
    How would you feel if your wife hid a secret of this magnitude from you, if she deliberately did things you strongly disapprove of behind your back? Would you feel disrespected? And wouldn't disrespected just be the tip of the iceberg?

I am a hetrosexual, who is a happy as a male and have no desire to change sex. I have no desire to dress in public and only wish to dress in a private and relatively discreete way that I hope hurts nobody including myself.
    But of course you know all that is subject to change once you get the ball rolling, right? From your present vantage point, it's hard to tell where the yellow brick road may lead. For the majority of us, CDing is progressive in nature and behavior, including (at least for some of us) a shift in sexual orientation. I only mention the latter because you did, and to indicate just how unforeseen and far-reaching the changes can be.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from dressing, but you seem to be earnest in deciding what to do. My comments are only meant to help you make an honest, realistic assessment of your situation. They're based on experience, not any sense of superiority. If there's a mistake to be made, I've probably made it.
    Last edited by sherri; 11-16-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Aspiring Member

Exclamation dark side based on 2 studies

The author based the article , at least in part, on 2 studies, one by Richard Docter "Transvestites and Transexuals: toward a theory of Cross-Gender Behavior (NY: Plenun, 1988) and the other by Richard Stoller "Presentation of Gender" (1986). If you checked all the links at the bottom of the article--3 actually work--you will find parts of the studies reproduced.
    Whether you agree or not doesn't change the results of the study. Those who disagree are of course encouraged to do their own studies, but to just tell someone, "if you enjoy, do it". That is an irresponsible comment to make. suppose Susant has said "I like herion"--well, if you like and you're not hurting anyone, do it. Each reader sees the article through their own bias the same way that see CDing through their own bias.Advice should be constructive, not "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead". That's what one expects from children. If some members of the forum don't care to discover why they are the people they are, that's is certainly their right, but don't foist that on other members who are trying to find out.
    Mandrake

Sherri,
    I appeciate your comments and advice. My appointment is in 2 weeks time.For me its a big step . I just want to be sure that it is right for me, and in the meantime to reflect, step back a little and take on board advice given and if it is not right I can always cancel.

Susan

I think Sherri and Busker have summed it up very well. And it is not a question of guilt, so much as responsibility. Those girls who deny the existence of a dark side should look at Susan's situation and realize that the dark side is staring them in the face, because Susan could destroy her marriage and crush her wife if she makes the wrong choices. And here is another thread from Ally H who also has a difficult situation:
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=119877

If you are a single girl and don't have obligations to others besides yourself, then you are free to follow your heart's desires and forget about everything else, but if you tell someone like Susan to do the same, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

I don't mean to sound harsh or offend anyone, but this is a serious situation. Susan wants real answers and she deserves to get them.
    Last edited by sheidelmeidel; 11-16-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Sherri,
    I appeciate your comments and advice. My appointment is in 2 weeks time.For me its a big step . I just want to be sure that it is right for me, and in the meantime to reflect, step back a little and take on board advice given and if it is not right I can always cancel.

Susan
    You're welcome, and you're right, it does have the potential to be a very big step. I wish the best for you and your wife.

(not a whale)
    Quote Originally Posted by whoever wrote that page
    Aside from being fraught with secrecy, guilt and diminished self-esteem, a CD's life can get out of control. Many CDs become obsessed with their self-feminization. Some lose all sense of judgment, balance, and perspective. Some let their cross dressing jeopardize important personal relationships and responsibilities. Some let the desire to dress turn them into social pariahs who reject the straight world entirely and rely solely on other CDs for companionship, direction, and support. Some CDs come to swim in an exclusive cross dressing milieu. That milieu sometimes exhibits a herd mentality which uses peer pressure to challenge its members to press envelopes and engage in activities that aren't altogether wise or salutary.
    this is 100% right.

however the rest of the page is pretty stupid.

If you are not sure, do you share?
    It's a big risk. It can work out but if it doesn't and your marriage and life is ruined is it worth the risk?
    Susan, I followed a link above into a similar thread from a newcomer who was also unsure if he should tell his wife. I responded in the other thread and I will simply post my response link, since my advice to you is the same.

Good luck!
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteDuality View Post
    Yes, maybe the article is old and I certainly don't agree or feel identified by many things said in there.

However, I think that is plain stupid to deny that crossdressing can actually have a dark side. And you can actually read a lot about the dark side in this forum: broken marriages. Guilt. Loneliness. Self centered people. Obsessions. Inadequate relationships. Etc, etc, etc.

Of course, many people suffer things like that without being crossdressers. But many of us suffer some of them because of crossdressing.

I know that this is a support forum, but support does not imply to remove the ugly faces that crossdressing might have. Support is to tell the truth ans share experiences about how to be happy with whatever choice we take, including taking responsibility for our decisions.
    Many CD/TG forums, websites tend to attack members/people who address the darker side of dressing as unsupportive. This is nonesense because what are we acheiving by ignoring what is real and apparent.

This forum itself has been at times guilty of this and remove posts that because the majority find it unsupportive, what about the one or two members that find it helpful.

IMO it is unacceptable for someone to think that telling the truth about something on a forum like this (as long as it is in a adult manner) is wrong. It does not help to tell someone you look great if they don't. It does not help to to tell someone it will be alright just so you do not upset them.

I would appreciate someone telling me the truth rather than lying to me just so they do not upset me or the majority of the members. The darkside exist.....lets be adult enough to discuss it or be allowed to discuss it.

The only dark side to crossdressing are expectations and justifications. If you live with expectations you'll either be pleasantly surprised or bitterly disappointed, then there are the justifications and explanations which only matter if you have expectations. I like my coffee with cream and sugar and there are people who have strong opinions on that, maybe even put a bullet through my head for it, oh well, I'm going to enjoy my coffee with cream and sugar.

Smile Dark Side?

I'm in Stephanie's camp! Karen also makes wisdom on the subject. If you like it, do it!

I don't put much in those studies or what ever. I also don't read much into my dressing I love to do it, It makes my feel good, It feels good It's as my wife says it's who you are.So let it be and enjoy.
    Angie

cycles

Dark side is a bit strong. Crossdressing isn't Heroin or even gambling. It is somewhat sexual to some but whatever...everything is sexual on some level. Yes there are those who take every activity to an Obssessive Compulsive extreme. For them, everything has a dark side. To even refer to it as a "Dark Side" conjures thoughts of evil.

Moreover your uneasiness about your appointment probably has more to do with your internal cycles and natural anxiety. Call them and reschedule. I find that I go through highs and lows in my CD world. Sometimes my female altpers is such a friend and other time I just the don't have time for her or the timing just doesn't work. I find I actually enjoy it more when I take a break from it for a while. That's what's really called being balanced.

Don't let opinions of others push your buttons. Use your intuition and gut to guide you.

Be Well - Lauren

There is a potential 'dark side' to everything. Whether one choses to focus on negativity. Some find it 'fun' I guess to be pessimistic and negative.

What the author is saying is no 'new discovery.' It's not even, slightly, a 'let's face the facts' essay. It's just saying "here is the worst possible way you can look at something. Join me in despair."

Ok, let's play along and take his view on life....

When I go shopping at Christmas, there are these guilt-ridden lost souls ringing bells and collecting change at the door to the grocery store. They are, of course, just trying to compensate for their inner flaws.

I don't follow the 'party line' that they are trying to be good people and help others, cos I'm too smurt. They are just trying to alleviate guilts and their evil, perverted natures.

Same with that boy-scout helping the blind lady cross the street. That little prick probably has dirty, filthy desires sometimes when he's all alone in bed, and he just helps people cross the street to compensate, to hold up the illusion that he's not a sick, flawed person in disguise. If he really was perfect, he'd have no evil desires.

And me working at my job, damn. I feel guilty about it. I only do it to get money, and to practice interacting with other people. I'm so selfish. I should tell my boss that I'm not going to live in denial anymore, that I will be as miserable at work as is my right to be, just so I don't bolster the illusion that I like my job.

And my best friend, what a jerk-wad. He is only my friend because he gets something from me. There is something he feels that he personally lacks and being around me fulfills that need in him. If I didn't give him whatever it is that he values in our friendship, he wouldn't stay friends with me. What kind of friend is that? What a selfish prick. He should love me simply for who I am, even if I was just an inanimate lump of coal, and not for what I share in the relationship.

It's the same with me. I personally gain something from his friendship as well, that he has and I don't. We should probably never speak again.

...Yeah, you see where it leads you, every time. It almost always leads back to something like "man is inherently evil. Wish I was dead, better off alone." It's a pretty much pointless view to hold on to. Yet some people can't or won't get past it. They're just projecting their own insecurity onto everything they see. They're not raining on my parade, only their own.
    Last edited by Wen4cd; 11-17-2009 at 01:09 PM.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

obsessions

I have to say this article and all those like it remind me of the many, many articles in the last 15 years about video games and their effect on those who get lost in them. I'm sure one could find examples about every "obsession" we have. If we are lucky to be able to have an obsession that is also our life's vocation it's grand until it takes away from the rest of life and then it can lead to divorce or worse.

Any obsession that keeps us from the balance of life will be a problem. Could CDing become a negative obsession? Sure. So can hockey ( sorry, couldn't help it Karen!), and so can playing a musical instrument to the detriment of the rest of life.

Life is balance, and whatever keeps us from balance is not positive. I'm sure many of us here would say that our feminine selves help us maintain a superb balance in most of life!

tina

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd View Post
    What the author is saying is no 'new discovery.' It's not even, slightly, a 'let's face the facts' essay. It's just saying "here is the worst possible way you can look at something. Join me in despair."
    Wen, I respect your opinion a great deal, but I feel I need to speak up in defense of the article's author. I don't think she is spewing as much negativity as you say. As she points out, she is not a professional and she just isn't very good about developing her argument.

In her first paragraph the author mentions CDing as being healthy and therapeutic and says she disagrees, but because of its dark side that she speaks of in her second paragraph. She is not entirely wrong. It is healthy for CDs to express who they are but if they engage in the behaviors she describes (which many CDs do), then it does have its dark side as with everything else. The author does point out the ideal is to enjoy and achieve balance.

The author then goes on to describe the shame that CDs experience and why society has its bias against the CDing. She does not tell us anything new, but nevertheless her observations are accurate.

I do disagree with her claim that CDing is a 'highly sexual act'. Although this may be true in the beginning and certainly it remains so for fetish CDs, it does change over time for most others. The author did not specify this even though she did speak of the sexual aspect in conjunction with pubescent CDing. I also disagree with the author's statement that CDing is a compulsion. I see it rather as a necessity much the same as the need to eat. But even food can become a compulsion if overindulgence leads to having adverse effects in other life areas. I believe this to be the very real aspect the author is warning against.

I took the article as a warning against giving in to every whim and fantasy despite their effects on loved ones and not as a warning that people shouldn't CD. The author's weakness is an inability to carry through her original idea (see the article's subtitle) in providing advice on how to achieve balance. Instead her writing focused on the difficulties in doing this, and although I do not believe it is her intent, she does give the impression that everyone who CDs does so to the point of compulsion.
    Reine

I think that cross dressing has a "dark side." There are a lot of behaviors connected with it that aren't healthy at all. Aside from being fraught with secrecy, guilt and diminished self-esteem, a CD's life can get out of control. Many CDs become obsessed with their self-feminization. Some lose all sense of judgment, balance, and perspective. Some let their cross dressing jeopardize important personal relationships and responsibilities. Some let the desire to dress turn them into social pariahs who reject the straight world entirely and rely solely on other CDs for companionship, direction, and support. Some CDs come to swim in an exclusive cross dressing milieu. That milieu sometimes exhibits a herd mentality which uses peer pressure to challenge its members to press envelopes and engage in activities that aren't altogether wise or salutary.

At the time of reading, this second paragraph started the alarm bells ringing for me. Yes I am being secretative regarding my (very limited ) cross dressing.If I proceed further will I feel guilty? I probably won't know until or if it happens.If I proceed, will my CDing get out of control and will I become obsessed with self-femization. I feel I can control things ...but as has been said in an earlier post "who knows where the yellow brick road leads".
    I have been on this forum a lot over the last few weeks my PC has never had as much use. Could, what I feel is my quest to find answers to how I feel and what I do, be construed as relying solely on other CDs for companionship?
    Last edited by susant; 11-17-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling and typos

Susan, I'm afraid that if you don't tell your SO you will feel as if you need to keep a lid on the CDing and it will take on a greater sense of urgency than it might otherwise. It might become the proverbial forbidden pleasure. If you can allow yourself to experience this openly, then hopefully you won't get into looking forward to being alone in order to express yourself. The larger danger is a wish to isolate within your relationship because you do not feel free to be who you are.

Your quest for answers is perfectly natural and should not be construed as anything more than what it is. And the best way to find answers is to go out there and do it, with your SOs knowledge, and see how if feels for you.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Wen, I respect your opinion a great deal, but I feel I need to speak up in defense of the article's author. I don't think she is spewing as much negativity as you say. As she points out, she is not a professional and she just isn't very good about developing her argument.

In her first paragraph the author mentions CDing as being healthy and therapeutic and says she disagrees, but because of its dark side that she speaks of in her second paragraph. She is not entirely wrong. It is healthy for CDs to express who they are but if they engage in the behaviors she describes (which many CDs do), then it does have its dark side as with everything else. The author does point out the ideal is to enjoy and achieve balance.

The author then goes on to describe the shame that CDs experience and why society has its bias against the CDing. She does not tell us anything new, but nevertheless her observations are accurate.

I do disagree with her claim that CDing is a 'highly sexual act'. Although this may be true in the beginning and certainly it remains so for fetish CDs, it does change over time for most others. The author did not specify this even though she did speak of the sexual aspect in conjunction with pubescent CDing. I also disagree with the author's statement that CDing is a compulsion. I see it rather as a necessity much the same as the need to eat. But even food can become a compulsion if overindulgence leads to having adverse effects in other life areas. I believe this to be the very real aspect the author is warning against.

I took the article as a warning against giving in to every whim and fantasy despite their effects on loved ones and not as a warning that people shouldn't CD. The author's weakness is an inability to carry through her original idea (see the article's subtitle) in providing advice on how to achieve balance. Instead her writing focused on the difficulties in doing this, and although I do not believe it is her intent, she does give the impression that everyone who CDs does so to the point of compulsion.
    Yeah, I got a slightly different vibe. Hard to explain. I did feel the pain of the author. I did hear the plea for balance and positive points of view. The article might as well have been titled 'please help me find balance' instead of what it is.

What bothers me isn't the 'accuracy' of the argument, (if there is one,) and not even so much the fact that she dressed up and anonymized a re-hashing of her own developmental life as that of a 'typical CDer," and attempted to apply it across the board. It's really the idea that the author scorns the very things that are most likely to save her from her apparent cyclic fate.

The sexual nature of CDing is something that I can't really speak on from experience. It never was this way for me, but what the author says is something I've heard related from others as well. (I do have personal 'kinks,' but they lay elsewhere.) But in general, I think that all fantasy, and especially sexual fantasy, have underlying symbolic meaning.

The author's over-frequent talk of sex and masturbation is not what offends me, (Although the term 'masturbate' appears a whopping 21 times in various forms in the article. The term 'identity:' zero times. This is pretty telling.)

It's her clear disdain for 'fantasy' in general that bothers me.
    I feel she's condemning herself, (and her readers) with that thinking, since the thing she scorns most (being fantasy) is the very thing that would, if explored and understood, free her from this Pavlovian pleasure-response cycle she feels trapped in. Somewhere hidden in her fantasy life is the answer to the guilt, the keys to balance, and built-in coping skills, everything she is lacking. She is begging for it to come from an external source, from the CD community, when it can only come from within. But by her view, there is no 'within.' There is only masturbation and pleasure-feedback loops.

The author, (as a 'he' crossdresser,) possibly is indeed lacking in balance or discernment to some degree, and probably feels like a rat chasing cheese in a maze, totally helpless. He probably doesn't like himself for this very much.

But I'd be willing to wager that this "private fantasy "self" that he brings out" has no such compunctions. He could learn from her how to be balanced, and he would be answered. He would find the answers within, through 'her,' if he could just see her as something important instead of a 'masturbatory enhancement device.'

But to him, she is 'fake,' a product built upon mere fantasy, which is also 'fake.' Therein lies the trap. He's 'towing the party line' if he gives the slightest credence to thinking otherwise, so it's a no-go.

It's the same process with the notion of 'society.' He apparently has no problem personifying his own shadow self perception, calling it 'society,' and treating it as a real entity that harshly judges him for his behavior. Why can't the next step beyond that occur? Why can't the inner parts that love and value also be given name and affirmation?

It's because it's much easier to feel hated than it is to feel loved, and to feel worthy of being loved. You don't have to do anything to feel hated, you can do it all alone if you want. But love, by nature, feels like it must be earned and deserved to be 'real' and without guilt. It requires loving back, and feeling grateful. Love is harder to accept than it is to give, especially when you're not happy with yourself. I hope the author eventually found it, somewhere.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd View Post
    It's because it's much easier to feel hated than it is to feel loved, and to feel worthy of being loved. You don't have to do anything to feel hated, you can do it all alone if you want. But love, by nature, feels like it must be earned and deserved to be 'real' and without guilt. It requires loving back, and feeling grateful. Love is harder to accept than it is to give, especially when you're not happy with yourself.
    No truer words have been spoken, Wen. You've said it beautifully.

You were able to see much more in the article than I did. I'm looking at it as an outsider, as a warning to not get into the 'pink fog' since this is bound to make relationships with loved ones difficult. I agree with engaging in fantasy as a way to work through blocks. I am working towards improving my own ability to do this. But the key words for me in her article were "a self-induced fantasy oblivious to consequences", with a focus on the compulsion aspect, not the fantasy.

This brings us back to the OP's question. She fears that giving in to her need for self-expression will turn into an obsession. I've attempted an answer, but frankly I am the least qualified person here to give one. Does the nature of CDing lead to obsession? How does one control this? I suppose no one can answer this for anyone else.
    Reine

Hi Susan T. Northern Ireland, a nice place but it was wet when I was there in July this year. I live in New Zealand and recently had a holiday over there. Funny enough though, while away from NZ for 8 weeks I saw a few transgirls walking about, two were in Belfast. Every day I go out in Auckland (in boy mode) and I see literally hundreds of crossdressers. All of them are women, ladies in jeans, trousers, jackets and even some wearing ties. I also know transgirls that go out dressed like women crossdresers, in jeans etc. So who or what is a crossdresser? Anyway, I would suggest that missing your "dressing" appointment could be one of those things that you will regret. Go for it, enjoy it and have fun. Remember the person running the business will not be judgemental in anyway, its her business and she will be wanting your money. Personally I have never ever had any retailer person, such as the ladies on the makeup counters turn me away or give me any stick at all. Mind you I tend not to deal with the teenager or say under 25 year old ones as they dont really have the maturity to help the 50 year old male buying lipstick. Enjoy yourself. Amanda XX

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD
    I also disagree with the author's statement that CDing is a compulsion. I see it rather as a necessity much the same as the need to eat. But even food can become a compulsion if overindulgence leads to having adverse effects in other life areas. I believe this to be the very real aspect the author is warning against.
    [SIZE="2"]The author may indeed have a problem with controlling compulsions, but that is no license to generalize about crossdressing. It would be good to see a balanced article about our collective lifestyles for a change – we’re all different, and some of us are quite comfy with things, so let’s see a more moderate individual display a broader, and more sympathetic, view of this topic…[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by susant
    At the time of reading, this second paragraph started the alarm bells ringing for me. Yes I am being secretative regarding my (very limited ) cross dressing.If I proceed further will I feel guilty? I probably won't know until or if it happens.If I proceed, will my CDing get out of control and will I become obsessed with self-femization. I feel I can control things ...but as has been said in an earlier post "who knows where the yellow brick road leads".
    [SIZE="2"]Really, dear, I wouldn’t worry about it. You need to dump any guilt, real or feared, overboard. If you feel you can control things, you will – you need to believe in yourself. I can’t comment on crossdressing within a relationship, and its effect on your SO, but I have never had any problems with CDing getting out of control. I’m probably just as secretive as you are, intentionally so, and I want to keep it that way. A teacher told me years ago that if you really want to do something, you’ll find the time (and the way) to do it – you can apply this epithet to crossdressing and learn to compartmentalize within a relationship for the benefit of both parties…[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd
    It's her clear disdain for 'fantasy' in general that bothers me.
    But love, by nature, feels like it must be earned and deserved to be 'real' and without guilt. It requires loving back, and feeling grateful.
    [SIZE="2"]I guess there are some people that actually fear fantasy – I wonder how they get through life. That being said, I think the crossdressing lifestyle (for many) embraces a loving “turn” towards all things. The state of mind that occurs simply by changing clothes is…well…beautiful. I mean, here we are, communicating with each other in a calm, loving manner – at least that’s how I like to see it. Rather than labeling our “compulsion” as a shameful trait that needs to be eliminated, or at least controlled, how about seeing it for what it is – a loving journey to the interior, stopping along the way to meet other “pilgrims” in our ongoing quest for gender integration…[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Frédérique; 11-18-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: I removed a word...