Thread: Dressing and hairstyle

Dressing and hairstyle

I am a closet crossdresser and I love wearing pretty clothes. I do have a short haircut which is traditional male. I wonder if any of you girls have ever experimented with feminine hairstyles for short haircuts and how did you pull it off in public as a male. It is wonderful to think about have a girl's pixie hairstyle but I am afraid I will be made fun of in public and it may not go over well with a men's suit at work.

Have any of you girl's tried feminine hair styling for traditionally short hair rather than the traditional boring male haircut? Also if you have how much is it? It must cost a fortune! I can still get a good men's haircut for $6 plus tip!

emmi

My wife spends a fortune every month!! And I wish I had enough hair to pull off a cute short bob or an inverted bob because I would.. But I don't.. Sigh...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by emmicd View Post
    Have any of you girl's tried feminine hair styling for traditionally short hair rather than the traditional boring male haircut? Also if you have how much is it? It must cost a fortune! I can still get a good men's haircut for $6 plus tip! emmi
    Hi Emmi,

I have long hair, not short, although lately I've been thinking of going to a shorter cut.

Take a look at any fair sized magazine rack and you'll find several magazines of hair styles. Some will even be specifically for short hair. See if you can find something that you feel could work for you.

I think there are also computer sites that you can upload your picture to (or use an avatar) and "try on" different hairstyles.

When you've found one that looks cute on you, think about how you could modify it for "him." For example, I find that a bit of hairspray holds my bangs back into "his" hair when needed.

Short styles do require some work, usually blowdrying and perhaps a touch of a curling iron to make them have lift. If you don't already know how, you'll have to have your stylist show you how to maintain your hair.

And yes, there is a cost involved, both in money and in your time and effort to do your hair, but aren't you worth it?

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

As Persephone said, there are some fun sites where you can try on different hairstyles. One of the sites I have found is instyle.com.

I used it and realized pretty quickly what looked good on me, and what didn't. Now, as a result, when I do style my hair, I brush more of it forward, at least on the sides, and I also use a bit of styling gel before blow drying. That, I wouldn't have figured out without seeing myself with different looks.

I have also been wondering, though, as you have, about talking to my hair stylist about a cut that can go both ways. Haven't quite got up the nerve to do that yet, and I do have the challenge of a receding hairline.

Good luck.

There is no reason why you can't have a fem hairstyle in male mode. After all, women wear men's short hairstyles all of the time. My hair is fem with bangs and highlighted in male mode. It is all about how you present yourself. If you are confident and not self conscious, then you will have no problem. If you are self conscious, everyone will sense this and they will be uncomfortable. It's all in your attitude.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

My hair is now shoulder length, and for the past year I have been getting it cut in a style known as the "Jennifer Aniston". Basically its a bob style that is tapered out at the front. During the day I tuck the hair behind my ears to maintain a typical male facial shape, and then let it down in the evenings. I even recently got blonde highlights in it to complete the look! It pretty much looks like this:

I get it cut at a unisex hairdressers that has only ever had women in there when I have visited, and they have never questioned it. In short, I love the style and no one ever mentions it. Even if you have your hair cut in a shorter feminine style, you can always put gel on it to make it appear more masculine if you so wish. Experiment and have fun with it!
    I am only a cross dresser when I don't crossdress!

About Me: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...595#post306595

"I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'd understand. When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am" - Goo Goo Dolls

[SIZE="3"]www.HappyDressers.com[/SIZE] - Where cross dressers go to be happy!

same as Persephone, I have long hair and have for most of 35 years (shoulder or longer). Now the funny part is, when I was living as a girl I one time cut it to a bob..ok..I was trying to transition back to male and a bob was what I felt I could wear both ways. It was harder to wear a short style as a male than a long style so I didn't cut it again...period. Other than light trims, I haven't cut my hair since 1985. I think if you have shoulder length hair its the easiest to take both way. Accessories can feminize it (including curling) and bands can tail it for a "guy" look. With mid-back hair length, I feel I have two maybe three options for styles. Loose, in a scrunchie or barrett, or braided. I'll admit, within the braid are several options and my favorite is a French Braid...from the top.

Jenn

I wear a shirt and tie to work every day with my hair in an a-line bob. Some days smooth and silky, but most often I round brush it nice and full. Even have bangs. Just be who you are and do what you want. There may be snickers here and there, but for the most part, if you accept yourself, others will too!

Life is just beginning... Eve_WA's Avatar
    Ive been getting a female cut for the last year or so. I have to say the hardest thing was asking for it from my stylist who Id gone to for the last 25 years. She was inquisitive at first, but has been fine with it. We have been developing my look as we go along. Basically, they just want you to be happy and to come back. If this makes me happy... who is she to say anything?

And to date, Ive not had one person say to me in guy mode whats up with my hair. I have been growing it out lately, and its at that awkward stage... where its hard to get it to do anything either long or short... and even worse in guy mode. But still no ones said anything, and no unusual looks. I also arch my brows quite a bit, and have long nails. I have had one co-worker ask about the nails, in the last two years since i have been transitioning into more of an androgynous look. I said that I like them (which I do) and that I used to chew my nails mercilessly as a youth, and I suppose its badge of honor now!! (also true) and not another word has been said. Have others noticed? Im sure they have... do I care what they think... not really!

Have any of you girl's tried feminine hair styling for traditionally short hair rather than the traditional boring male haircut?

I started getting a feminine haircut and style in the last month or so. I had already let my hair grow out for a good number of months but I have very fine and thin hair so I have length but not thickness. How it looks depends on how I style it; if I just wash and comb it can look like a male haircut but if I spend some time drying/brushing/moussing/styling it looks very feminine. If you have enough hair to work with and a good stylist you can get a cut and style that can go either way.

Also if you have how much is it? It must cost a fortune! I can still get a good men's haircut for $6 plus tip!

Here, you get what you pay for. Women's haircuts do cost more than men's but I can tell you that my stylist spent more time and put more effort into my feminine haircut than any other stylist did for my male cut. I don't mind paying more for better service and a good look.

Male pattern baldness renders this a moot point, unfortunately. Otherwise I'd be a smashing natural blonde.
    [SIZE="3"]Ali[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"You're as beautiful as you feel"... Carole King[/SIZE]

Aspiring Member
    Hi Emmi,
    As most of the girls on this site already know, I have my hair in a wedge style. It is a pretty style when I am en fem but can be slicked back if I need to pretend to be butch. But having this feminine style is not cheap. I pay $23 for each cut and style and usually tip an additional $3. To keep my style looking right I get a cut and style every four weeks. Also remember that this service can cost much more in trendy salons in metropolitan areas. My style works for my features with my thick wavy hair. Everyone is different so my style won't work for everyone.
    Another consideration is how much time do you want to spend doing your hair every day. I wash my hair every day. Then I apply product before drying it with a blow dryer and a brush. After that I style it using either a flat iron or a curling brush. Finally I apply hairspray to hold the style. Some people just get up, shake their head and go out the door. If you are like that then stick with wigs for your dress up times. Good luck! Leanne

Hi
    I havent worn a wig in over 10yrs. I cant grow my hair long because of work. But I go to a hairdresser each month and she cuts it in a way that I get best of both worlds. I have gotten many compliments on how my hair looks. I will do this as long as I have hair, lol.

Yours Terri

MPB..... The bane of crossdressers everywhere.....
    So-o-o true that having my own in ANY style would be nice.... However, the Genes are out to get me! And they did! (Think Homer Simpson....)
    So-o-o a wig is the only way Lisa will even remotely look female!
    My face shape just doesn't do well in a short style, I look much better in shoulder length hair!
    Lisa Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by LisaElizabeth View Post

... My face shape just doesn't do well in a short style, I look much better in shoulder length hair! Lisa Elizabeth
    That's soooo much an individual thing. After wearing a short, curly wig for quite awhile I bought a long, straight wig in about the same color - close to my natural blonde. That straight wig has never seen the light of day because it looks anything but realistic on me. Face shape matters so much. For that matter, so does age. As a fifty-something girl, I see very few women my age wearing long hair, and I realized when I put that long wig on my head that I'd already passed that stage of my life.
    [SIZE="3"]Ali[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"You're as beautiful as you feel"... Carole King[/SIZE]