Thread: Ready to take the next step...or am I?

Ready to take the next step...or am I?

To this point I haven't cared about "passing". I was actually very happy with the fact that I was "special". Of course, I have only been out to places that would be friendly to TGs like clubs and restaurants in the "gay" part of town. There people expect to see someone like me and it doesn't weird them out.

Now I am ready to push it to the next level. I want to start shopping and going out to restaurants with the general public.

Here is my issue...

I really like to dress in sexy stuff. Even my casual stuff isn't going to "blend in". I'm sure you've seen people (or maybe you didn't) that are just really plain. Plain old hair, clothes, etc. They don't draw attention because, honestly, they aren't that attractive.

I don't want to be "plain" but I also don't want to have a flashing light over my head that says "look at me".

I'm 6'2" tall so I'll never not stick out (excuse the double negative). So do I just resign myself to that fact and then dress the way I want to? I mean I do have a very feminine body and don't think I'm that bad looking. I have some girly jeans (kinda tight), some designer tshirts or nice blouses and I just bought my first pair of flats that are kinda the ballerina style shoes with bows on the toes (of course they are leopard print).

I think I would rather try to be the good looking "almost" chick that doesn't blend in than the plain "almost" chick that still doesn't blend in.

What do you think?

Kisses,

Allie
    Last edited by AllieSummers; 11-23-2009 at 01:25 PM.

It really depends on how you feel about yourself, Allie. If you feel confident and attractive, then dress to project that. I'm no twenty-something (just had a birthday yesterday to remind me of that fact ) so I don't dress as such. I dress as a woman who respects herself and yet realizes that she is feminine in nature. You determine what is best for you. What you wear will also depend on what type of attention you want to attract. Your call again. Bottom line... go out and enjoy yourself AS yourself!
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

I've always felt that when I'm out in public as a woman, I want to definiutely look feminine but I don't like to look overly sexy and attract too much attention. Would wear clothing that looks pretty and "work" appropriate. If somebody notices, fine. But I do want to blend in more than stand-out.
    Dawn

From one Allie to another. Just dress in what makes you feel most comfortable. My style, which continues to evolve, is what I like to call classy chic. I am petite so do not have the height to deal with. I do not walk well nor last a long time in heels, so flats are my normal shoes. If you are going to a trendy restaurant (ambiance, table cloths and a classy crowd) then dress the part if you can. If you think your skirt is too short, wear one a little longer. The main thing is dress appropriately for the venue, i.e. not to wear jeans to a restaurant where no one will be in jeans. Good luck and do let us know what you wear out.

I'm 40 something but I like 20 something clothes. That is what I like and feel best about myself in. I'm sure most would say that I need to dress more "age appropriate" even if I was a GG but that just isn't my style.

I guess I'm just trying to recapture my youth.

Kisses,

Allie

Ready to take the next step...or am I

I would say dress how you feel comefortable, my self I am older and don't feel comefortable dressed sexey, its just not me, I tryaand dress my age. and aam great with my long skirts.

Not the one on TV!
    Isn't the allure of women is that they can wear whateven they want to wear for that particular moment? Now that you've come this far, don't lose sight of the "perks" of being a woman!

Seems to me it depends on where you're going.

If you're going clubbing, since plenty of GGs dress to flirt, and you're in a TG friendly place, then why not - if it's what suits you. Some of us have the body for it. I'd look pretty silly doing it but that's me, not you.

Going to the mall - I wouldn't, because my objective is to pass, not to shout "t-girl" to the crowd.

But again, my whole thing is to feel natural and feminine within the scope of my ability, so being a middle-age broad I'd want to feel appropriate. Otherwise I'm kind of a cartoon.
    [SIZE="3"]Ali[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"You're as beautiful as you feel"... Carole King[/SIZE]

You know the answer Allie. If you wish to blend in dress down. If not go for wearing what you want. Sometimes I like to attract comments so will dress provocatively, other times I want a quite life so try to blend in.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Tone it down a little and
    [SIZE="4"]GO GIRL, GO
    [SIZE="2"]AND HAVE FUN!!!![/SIZE][/SIZE]
    No these are not womens clothes!! THEY ARE MINE, EVEN THE HEELS. (update 4/01/10) THEY ARE NOW ! ! !

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I think you should wear whatever makes you happy.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllieSummers View Post
    I'm 40 something but I like 20 something clothes. That is what I like and feel best about myself in. I'm sure most would say that I need to dress more "age appropriate" even if I was a GG but that just isn't my style.

Kisses,

Allie
    Allie, I'm 50 something and will NEVER EVER dress my age, as long as I can get away with it. If I see something sexy, I don't care what age group it's for, I'll go after it...of course I wouldn't if I didn't think I would look good in it. For me, it's not enough to just blend in. I like the idea of being noticed, but, being noticed as a woman with style, not a man in a dress. I guess, in a way, it is sort of a fountain of youth for me.

Woman and loving it Jennifer Marie P.'s Avatar
    Allie dress in something that makes you feel comfortable to your age and try not to dress too ****ty just dress like an everyday woman.

Allie,

I'm 6'3" and 50+ so I try to dress to blend in as well as a 6'3" and 50+ woman can. My own feeling is that dressing too young or too sexy brings unwanted attention in the 'real' world.

I'd keep the 'sexy' dressing for the TG clubs---but that is just my little

There is NOTHING that says a 40-something woman (myself being a member of that club as well) cannot dress in a way that's stylish, fun, sophisticated and still a bit sexy. Nearly everything I wear I have bought from a mainstream boutique that caters to women who want something beyond the ordinary when it comes to fashion and let me tell you, the store is full of wonderful styles from casual to dressy and everywhere in between. Some of the fashions are amazingly sexy. My point is that I think with a little searching, you can find the best of both worlds, a style that suits you yet allows you to blend in as much or as little as you wish.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I think I would rather try to be the good looking "almost" chick that doesn't blend in than the plain "almost" chick that still doesn't blend in.

What do you think?

Kisses,

Allie
    Sounds reasonable. Yes you live on planet Texas, but it isn't the Texas of 50 years ago. Go out & enjoy.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

You've gotten used to heroin, and a little old glass of wine doesn't do it for you!

I'm a bit similar, but a notch or two lower: I wear sexier stuff and serious eye makeup and red lipstick to the clubs, but I have knee-ish length skirts and daytime heels for the "real" world.

Out and about I don't try for sexy, just for nicely dressed and attractive

Jeans and a T and flats doesn't do it for me, so I know whereof you speak.

[SIZE=4]You might think about starting out "plain" and working up from there. Going out in the sexiest stuff right off the bat might tend to get comments you are not prepared to handle at that point.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]As a 60 plus gal, I still tend to not pay any attention at "age-appropriate" dress and wear what I want. And I do get a bit carried away with cleavage and big hair now and then, or virtually daily. But, I am have had a lot of public practice and work daily in the public dressed, better than anyone I work with by the way...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

If you feel attractive, you are. Shop for yourself and don't worry about others.

First of all Allie you will automatically stand out because you are pretty! The tall thing will also probably get you looks. My advice which is currently worth 3 cents is dress in something that makes you feel attractive. But, (I do like the buts) also dress in something that is right for the setting. I hate the word apropriate. A short mini is not something that most women wear to the mall if they are 40 something( I'm in that range). You can wear a longer skirt but still not look like a granny. What i love is trying out different looks. A long peasant skirt and a nice draped femine blouse can be as attractive as a short dress if ya find the right one. The hunt is one of the great things !!

Kisses,

Allie
    I can totally relate. To me, any age can be made more attractive through making healthy choices and style decisions.
    And attractive can mean pretty or ****ty depending on the occasion.

You know, Frank Zappa once said something like, "we're all wearing a uniform; let's not kid ourselves."

So just have fun with it. It's all about context. Are you going to a wild party or Cracker Barrel?

Allie I have just viewed your Saturday Night Fever photos. Personally I feel you should go out to the malls and restaurants in that dress the first time, and after that anything will be a piece of cake. LOL. Oh by the way this is coming from someone who has only been to clubs, and not to malls and restaurants. You have the looks, the body, and attitude , so pick the most conservative outfit from your sexy collection, and go for it.I'll wait for your pics and report. Good luck.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I'm 40 something but I like 20 something clothes. That is what I like and feel best about myself in.
    What's wrong with that? You have the looks for it.

Personally, as a 53 year old shaped like a beach ball, if I tried clothes for a 20 year old, I'd just look ridiculous. That's not the case for you.

I'm sure most would say that I need to dress more "age appropriate" even if I was a GG but that just isn't my style.
    Don't listen to "most people", listen to your heart.

If you want to wear something chic, do it. We're already defying convention by not accepting the clothing that "most" would want us to wear (drabs). WHy bow to convention for the femme clothing?
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

If you've got it and the nerve.. flaunt it! You're beautiful!
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg