Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: we are just as bad

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    I was just telling some of my friends the same thing a few weeks back! I do think the dress up days will come back. I think as the comfy generation grows they will see something is missing.

Now I wore a tie about 4 months ago

Suit and Tie....What's that?

I do remember those days. I felt more professional when I put on a suit and tie. On a side note, I haven't worn a suit and tie for about four years and counting. I think I have one tie in the back of the closet. I do wear a button down shirt with slacks most days to work.
    Cary

I actually really love getting dressed up in a suit and tie, I just rarely have a reason to do it. I would have to get a new suit now if I needed to because I've lost so much weight this year that my old suits make me look like I'm a kid trying on his father's clothes.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

I agree with Crystal, times change and still, it is so much fun to go out dressed. One of my closest friends says I dress nicely. Then again she can't find shoes in her size that are both comfortable and go with dresses and skirts. She has spin bifida, so she doesn't own any skirts, dresses or heels. I always ask her if it's okay that I dress up a bit. So far she's been okay with it. But I wouldn't do anything to hurt her feelings.

Another thought; when I've flown to Europe wearing sandles and a skirt seemed to be the most comfortable. With the seat crammed as they are now I wouldn't want to sit next to a man who was wearing a suit or even a sport jacket as after eight to ten hours I don't think I could stand the odor issue. Maybe we could get the airlines to give us more room so people wouldn't have to dress down to be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    We moan about women
    not wearing skirts but when was the last time you wore a suit and tie
    unless you work in a bank or law office?
    Every weekday as a matter of course, like everybody else in my office and almost all my friends and acquaintances.

But you are right about the double standards. I've never felt entirely comfortable in a suit and tie and exchange them for a pair of jeans the moment I get home, whereas I hate to see women in jeans or trousers. I guess if they won't wear a skirt or dress I'll have to do it for them

I wear a shirt and tie everyday to work by choice. I work in a relaxed office so most of the men lose the tie and unbutton the top button. I just think it makes them look sloppy. I wear a sport coat instead of a suit simply because of cost. I was just remarking to my wife the other day that I would like to see hats make a comeback in men's fashion. I think there is a level of sophistication that a hat gives to the male wardrobe that just can't be matched by any other item. Of course a hat also is quite a statement in women’s fashion too.

Silver Member
    Well, I like women in jeans and pants. Years ago as a new hire brought in to fix things, working in a ties required corporation, I was the first in mangement to dish the tie and jacket requirement. It was amazing how fast other departments followed suit. I was tired of seeing guys in ill fitting jackets with ugly ties. I did tell my people that I expected them to look good and professional.

About 2 years ago I had a company vice-president tell me that he thought ties and jackets would be great for the guys. I asked him if he was going to mandate dresses and hose for women. He said women could wear nice clothes pants or skirts. After a heated private discussion he backed down. He had no idea why guys should wear ties. He was a dumb idiot who had no idea what he was doing.

Don't get me wrong. If the customer expected it I would wear coat and tie everyday to make a sale. It just does not make sense to wear something your not confortable with to impress someone.