Thread: Transgender-related Acronym List (TAL)

Individual

Transgender-related Acronym List (TAL)

Having repeatedly seen the question “What does the acronym “XYZ” mean?”, I put together those that came to my mind or that I saw trolling the boards. I think it would be great if people contribute others that I missed. I will happily go back and update my original post to include any others that people mention. This list does not include “standard” internet- or leet-speak items (e.g., “LOL”, “BTW”, “FWIW”, “YMMV”).

Disclaimer1: This list attempts to be factual only. Inclusion of an acronym on this list is purely explanatory, and must not be seen as an endorsement. Excluding some acronyms does not provide people with the information they need to achieve greater understanding.

Disclaimer2: I don’t claim to be an authority, I just started collecting these and thought I would share.

Disclaimer3: I don’t know if this is the best board to host this list, but it seems like the highest traffic board.

Transgender-related Acronym List (TAL)

CD – Crossdresser (noun), crossdress (verb) (also cognates, e.g., CDing, CDer, CDs) can refer to MtF or FtM equally, depending on context
    DHT – Dihydrotestosterone, a byproduct of Testosterone. DHT production is blocked by drugs like Finasteride.
    dMtM – deformed Male-to-Male (genetic female who identifies as male, in a deformed body; see also FtM)
    E – Estrogen, when used in the context of HRT
    FFS – Facial Feminization Surgery
    FHRT – Female Hormone Replacement Therapy (see also HRT)
    FtM – Female-to-Male (genetic female who dresses or identifies as male; see also dMtM)
    GB – Genetic Boy (see also GM)
    GF – Genetic Female (rare; see other GF entry)
    GF – Girl Friend (more common; see other GF entry)
    GG – Genetic Girl
    GID – Gender Identity Disorder
    GLBT – Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender (community moniker; see also LGBT)
    GM – Genetic Male (see also GB)
    GQ – Gender Queer
    GRS – Gender Reassignment Surgery (see also SRS)
    HRT – Hormone Replacement Therapy (see also FHRT and MHRT)
    LGBT – Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (community moniker; see also GLBT)
    MHRT – Male Hormone Replacement Therapy (see also HRT)
    MtF – Male-to-Female (genetic male who dresses or identifies as female)
    PFLAG – Parents, Family, and Friends of Lesbians And Gays (organization)
    RLE – Real Life Experience
    SA – Sales Associate / Sales Assistant (the person who works in a store selling you stuff, rather than a state in Australia)
    SO – Significant Other (for example spouse, long-time lover, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc)
    SRS – Sexual Reassignment Surgery (see also GRS)
    T – Testosterone, when used in the context of HRT or MHRT
    T – Trans(gender/sexual), when used in the context of individual identity
    TG – Transgender / Transgendered (see also TS, TV)
    TS – Transsexual (see also TG, TV)
    TV – Transvestite (see also TG, TS)
    Last edited by Stephanie Heplby; 12-04-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added FFS, SO

Wow... Good job!! That's a large list.... I think I'm going back to writing everything out long hand from now on! Laugh Out Loud!!

My Blackberry has a translation table and I already have a few things in there so when I type I M H O it comes out "in my humble opinion". I'm going to add some of yours. Hust hope my boss doesn't borrow my Blackberry to type a memo.. Ekkkkk.
    Last edited by Karren H; 12-02-2009 at 12:58 PM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Heplby View Post
    GF – Genetic Female (rare; see other GF entry)
    GF – Girl Friend (more common; see other GF entry)
    That became an endless loop for me.

I like MID or MIS for men in dresses or Men in skirts (but then we need men in tights which becomes a copyright infringement)
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

How about N for normal?
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

Christian Crossdresser DiannaRose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    That became an endless loop for me.

I like MID or MIS for men in dresses or Men in skirts (but then we need men in tights which becomes a copyright infringement)
    ToM - Tights on Men? No, too passive. Doesn't convey the meaning.
    MWT - Men Wearing Tights? Hmmm...No, it's ambiguous. Could be read as men-wearing tights--which is just plain silly.
    TWM - Tights Wearing Men? Same ambiguosity
    MITOP - Men in Tights or Pantyhose? - A bit long, but could work.
    MWLTWT - Men Who Like to Wear Tights. Yikes! Even longer. I like MITOP better because it makes a pronounceable acronym.

-Dianna
    You can take the girl out of the dress, but you'll never take the dress out of the girl!

Confessions of a Christian Crossdresser - http://DiannaFaithRose.wordpress.com

LOLOTF (lauphing out loud on the floor)

We have so many abbreviations for the common language that it has become almost impossible to understand that already difficult language. What ever.

Teri

Individual
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri Jean View Post
    LOLOTF (lauphing out loud on the floor)

We have so many abbreviations for the common language that it has become almost impossible to understand that already difficult language. What ever.
    Not to pick nits with anyone, but what I was trying to do here was document abbreviations that appear somewhat regularly on this site and others, rather than creating new ones.

I was trying (perhaps unsuccessfully) to reduce the level of confusion for new folks on these boards.

And I just ran across another one this morning:
    FFS - Facial Feminization Surgery

(Though, to be clear, the humorous posts are also welcome.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Heplby View Post

I was trying (perhaps unsuccessfully) to reduce the level of confusion for new folks on these boards.
    Half the fun here is watching the Noobs try and decipher posts, you going to take that away from us seniors? Which brings up another point, even those who have been here for years can't agree on definitions. You say trangender, I say Crossdresser. TG...CD...TS...DQ lets call the whole thing off.

Is someone going to make a dictionary at CD.com so we can all agree...what?...we can't agree?....but, we need to agree.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

This is worse than the military! I thought they had alot of acronyms. I have alot to learn!

So DQ is....... Dairy Queen?? Now I'm getting hungry for a Dilly Bar!

Did we forget Moobs!! Man Boobs! Lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Add this one to the list...

SO - Significant Other

Kisses,

Allie

Heee Heee

Alright, you put a smile on my face this morning, there are so many acronyms but I am still trying to decipher Pink Fog. anyone want to take a stab at it?

Individual
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    [...] even those who have been here for years can't agree on definitions. You say trangender, I say Crossdresser. TG...CD...TS...DQ lets call the whole thing off.

Is someone going to make a dictionary at CD.com so we can all agree...what?...we can't agree?....but, we need to agree.
    In both seriousness and jest, you will note that I assiduously avoided any attempt at a "definition" of such terms. I merely "spell out" the acronyms.

I don't own enough asbestos camis to protect me from the flames that would ensue from an attempt at "definition"...

Individual
    Good one, can't believe I missed that!

Consider it done!

Seriously, I thought GLBT had been replaced by GLBTIQQS - Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transexual Intersex Queer Questioning Straight.

And that GLBTIQQS had been recently updated to GLBTIQQSR - Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transexual Intersex Queer Questioning Straight Republican (Tip o' the hat to someone else on this board)
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Quote Originally Posted by Emma England View Post
    How about N for normal?
    We don't endorse fictional concepts.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TabbyJames View Post
    Alright, you put a smile on my face this morning, there are so many acronyms but I am still trying to decipher Pink Fog. anyone want to take a stab at it?
    Pure
    Indulgence
    Not
    Knowing
    Female
    Or
    Guy
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Ya know what I think. I think I'll stay out of this one. Or not. They're all good. Thanks to all.

Rey