Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrestling with the TSA

It might not be perfect security (what is?) but the TSA is doing a good job at making our airways safer. Some of the restrictions might seem silly but for the most part they are there to make everyone safer (remember, the 9/11 terrorists used box cutters to hijack the planes and don't forget the shoe bomber later the same year). For the most part the screeners are good people who will try to avoid making someone uncomfortable or violating their rights.

I might have only visited New York once but 9/11 really hit me hard. I had visited on a school trip a few months before and remembered quite well visiting the WTC and seeing sights that afterward was covered in the ash and dust from the towers. Nearly 3,000 innocent people were killed that fateful day and countless others injured physically, mentally, or both. If airport security had been tighter the attacks might have been prevented (no way of knowing for sure though, hindsight is 20/20 after all).
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 12-08-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: quoted comment removed

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Be CAREFUL what u wish for, Christine!

Quote Originally Posted by Christinedreamer View Post
    The case was not even xrayed and if it was, the FBI, TSA, Secret Service, etc would have been on me like crazy. Inside were a dozen metal canisters (audio transformers) with attached wires, various circuit boards, tools, etc.

After I landed I mentioned to the TSA agent hanging around the claim area that I was appaled that it was not checked and I remeinded him the the pan am flight was brought down with a bomb much smaller than my case I as an engineer it would be a no brainer for me to build such a gadget.
    What they do makes sense, if u subscribe to the theory that TSA has little, or NOTHING, to with prevention, and EVERYTHING to do with making ordinary folks feel safe enuff to fly!

1st: Box cutters. Solution: Take away your nail clippers!

2nd: Shoe bombs. Solution: Take your shoes off.

3rd: Liquid explosives. Solution: Take away their water and
    shampoo.

Always AFTER THE FACT!
    When one of our planes goes down from a luggage bomb, THEN, they'll start inspecting ALL luggage before it's checked!

Some of u may NOT remember. But, they WERE DOING that rite after 911! But, they STOPPED, when they found it was TOO INCONVENIENT!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    What they do makes sense, if u subscribe to the theory that TSA has little, or NOTHING, to with prevention, and EVERYTHING to do with making ordinary folks feel safe enuff to fly!

1st: Box cutters. Solution: Take away your nail clippers!

2nd: Shoe bombs. Solution: Take your shoes off.

3rd: Liquid explosives. Solution: Take away their water and
    shampoo.

Always AFTER THE FACT!
    When one of our planes goes down from a luggage bomb, THEN, they'll start inspecting ALL luggage before it's checked!

Some of u may NOT remember. But, they WERE DOING that rite after 911! But, they STOPPED, when they found it was TOO INCONVENIENT!
    All luggage that goes on commerical flights are x-rayed. ALL. I have a friend who works for American Airlines and he assures me that even checked baggage is screened. I have personally seen the x-ray equipment that they use to screen checked bags at Mc Carran Intl. Las Vegas. Kinda silly to keep losin stuff if you already know from experience that they won't allow you to carry it on board don't ya think?
    Last edited by kellycan27; 12-08-2009 at 01:03 AM.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Quote Originally Posted by Brina Halloween View Post
    Looking at your avator, if that is you, he might not have realized it immediately that you wasn't a girl.
    No, I make no attempt to look like a woman - I just like the clothes. As for the avatar, I like her uber-cute look.

Oh dear!!

It seems I set off a fire storm about the TSA. The officer was polite and acted appropriately. The humor was in his figuring out how to deal with an unusual situation.

I would appreciate having this thread locked if it is going to continue as an off-topic debate about the competence and ethnicity of TSA officers.

One more thought

Actually, aside from the humor of the situation, I posted with the intent of showing that it is safe and comfortable to travel wearing feminine clothing. I figure that if everyone in this country were to see 20 different men wearing skirts (or dresses, or makeup, or ...) in ordinary situations, then the whole issue would be over. We got used to women in jeans and men with earrings in no time flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda G View Post
    F***ing TSA perverts! If everybody just stopped flying for awhile, maybe this sh*t would stop.
    imho that's pretty uncalled for.
    The older I get, the more real I feel. And what I feel is not all that I am. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please visit me on Facebook - Dina Walker http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003166749185

Quote Originally Posted by DaphneGrey View Post
    I live 3 miles from a hole in the ground that used to be filled with the remains of 3000 people. More than a couple were people I knew.

The TSA may not be perfect but at least they are doing something.

Melinda I don't think it is fair to call someone a pervert for doing their job. After all Kay was treated with respect and wasn't made to feel like one. As far as I can tell.

Sherry The terrorist that brought down the world Trade Center used a box cutter not much bigger than a one inch pocket knife.

The way some people stomp their little heals and throw these whining sissy fits every time someone in drag is asked to do something uncomfortable. Funny The OP the one who got patted down didn't have a problem. Funny Huh?

A poor TSA worker respectfully trying to do his Job, All of a sudden he is a Pervert, Stupid, Useless, and my favorite causing disdain between the American People and the government, giving the terrorists what they wanted in the first place LMAO!!!

If you want to be treated like women grow up and act like them.

Just my two cents.
    /cheer BRAVO!! Well said!!
    The older I get, the more real I feel. And what I feel is not all that I am. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please visit me on Facebook - Dina Walker http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003166749185

For Thanksgiving I flew home to see my parents and the two kids who live with their mother. I had to drive to an airport that was three hours away from home here. I decided to wear some nice lingerie and hose under a mens shirt and a pair of ladies low rise jeans with a pair of block heel black knee boots.

After taking the boots off to run through the scanner I had folded the pant legs up since without the boots on I would walk on the cuffs of the pants.

The only notice any of the TSA folks made was a woman asked me why I had my pants rolled up like that. I figured the easiest answer was the accurate one so I told her to keep me from walking on them. That seemed to satisfy her and I went about my business.

I didn't bother to look around and see if anyone had noticed they were ladies boots or not, just put them back on and headed to the terminal. I am sure people saw or knew but none felt it necessary to let me know they noticed which works fine for me.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Why do you think that someone would let you know that you are wearing ladies boots? It is really no one's business just like you don't as a woman why she is wearing men's shoes, or a man's necktie, or a man's baseball cap. It's the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason+ View Post
    For Thanksgiving I flew home to see my parents and the two kids who live with their mother. I had to drive to an airport that was three hours away from home here. I decided to wear some nice lingerie and hose under a mens shirt and a pair of ladies low rise jeans with a pair of block heel black knee boots.

After taking the boots off to run through the scanner I had folded the pant legs up since without the boots on I would walk on the cuffs of the pants.

The only notice any of the TSA folks made was a woman asked me why I had my pants rolled up like that. I figured the easiest answer was the accurate one so I told her to keep me from walking on them. That seemed to satisfy her and I went about my business.

I didn't bother to look around and see if anyone had noticed they were ladies boots or not, just put them back on and headed to the terminal. I am sure people saw or knew but none felt it necessary to let me know they noticed which works fine for me.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Why I quit flying!

The TSA has ONE function: To make people more comfortable with flying by making them /believe/ that they are safer.

No study has ever shown that all of these measures actually make any difference at all. In fact, in almost any real world test of the system, people can get just about anything onto a plane they want to.

The entire check is just a placebo that the companies needed after 9/11 so the public would start flying again. If people of any intelligence really wanted to make trouble, they would be able to without nail clippers and hat pins. For instance, do you know how much energy can be released just by shorting out a few laptop batteries?

Think what you want of how the TSA operates... but just don't fool yourself that they are actually making things SAFER.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

The poor guy, wicked girl you! grin.

The TSA might be able to do their job without seeming stupid if airports were built to accommodate them. Their whole setup is an awkward add-on to the airport, it is in the way, inconvenient, and airports were not designed for such nonsense.

It would be best to judge them then, until then they will seem like idiots.

I face them three days from now and am not looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie001 View Post
    Why do you think that someone would let you know that you are wearing ladies boots? It is really no one's business just like you don't as a woman why she is wearing men's shoes, or a man's necktie, or a man's baseball cap. It's the same thing.
    Jamie I would assume for the same reason they feel the need to point out to my that my fingernails are red or that I'm wearing pantyhose under a pair of shorts.

Perhaps they think I got really drunk and don't realize how I dressed myself

Minding it's own business isn't something John Q. Public has ever been very good at!
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.