Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any tips on how to walk in heels?

Dana55

any tips on how to walk in heels?

thanks girls for your help..i want to look as natural as poosible walking in heels. any tips?

Practice & practice and it
    is more than learning to walk in heels ,we also have to learn to walk like Women do .
    I spent a lot of time observing how women walk , the small steps and the general movements .

Practice, practice and, did I say, more practice! Get some comfortable shoes and walk around the block in them (after dark if necessary), day after day, until you build up your foot and ankle muscles and feel comfortable in them. Wearing heels only indoors around the house will give you a false feeling of confidence -- the "real world," with its longer distances, hard surfaces, slopes and ramps, gravel, broken sidewalks and other textures, is very, very much more difficult to master in heels. But it can be done if you're willing to put some serious time into training yourself.

I think you'll need to spend two or more hours a day in heels for a month or so to start feeling confident in them. That's assuming a reasonable mix of "around the house" and outdoor experience.

I've taken to wearing unobtrusive but high (4") heels most of the time in boy mode in order to increase the amount of time and distance I can put in exercising in heels, but I realize many won't be able to do that.

- Diane
    Last edited by Diane Smith; 12-07-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Legs straight, no bending at the knees.
    Back straight.
    Smaller steps.
    Look ahead, not down.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

There are several videos on UTube and other places that show you how to walk in heels like a woman. Plus, you can do a search here for past threads on this same subject. Good luck. I use my "trainer" heels, less than 3 inches and still stumble around. Some people get it and some don't. I am afraid I may be the latter!

Make sure that when you are walking in heels, that you do try "NOt" to walk toe to heel...it dosen't work and I don't know where they came up with that one. Smaller steps are correct, and definately heel to toe walking , as if you are in a pair of sneakers. Once you get the right smaller step, you will find that it becomes easier and easier. As Diane said, try even in everyday dress to wear a pair of heels to walk if in the dark if you don't feel comfortable. I started doing this with a pair of oversized Lucky Jeans, and a longer bottom that "drags" if I'm in sneakers. Since the jeans are bigger, a pair of square toe shoes with heels will work wonders ! The front of the shoe may show, which is why I recommend square toe with no pattern/design, and a chunky heel is easier for you to start with walking. If you can find a pair of rubber sole shoes, such as many from Kenneth Cole, this is especially helpful as they are quiet...

practice practice and then more practice

For a more femmine walk.

Smaller steps, keep your legs close together and walk from the hips rather than from the knees.
    Last edited by Kasey X; 12-07-2009 at 05:41 AM.

imagine a line and walk it,,,toe to heel with space in between,,,that will make you sway and walk sexy like a fem
    Only friends can call me Amy,,, so if your reading this your a friend.

The Band QUEEN Quote " I want to be free"

The others above have said it all, practice, practice and more practice, observation and more observation. I have found that women walk different with what ever type of heel they have on, and weither or not they want to catch someones eye. so study the masters of walking in heels is the best place to start. If possible get a female to coach you. good luck.

I wish I could wear heels, or any kind of womans shoe to being with

I have size 11 Australian shoes, which means I would be roughly a 14-15 in womans, and those are next to impossible to find.

Lots of Love,
    Miss Kara

Here is a video

I saw it on youtube and it looked like a good place to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8h8bCoi5sY

A lot of good advice above: the main thing is to practice, practice, practice until you feel comfortable and confident in them.
    warmly, Linnea

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

just to add...

Adding to all the good advice above, there is a "feel" when everything is working correctly. Often when I first put on heels and aren't thinking about it, even though I'm walking ok, it is really a man's gait. When I realize it I stop and think for a second, and then "lead from the hip". Your hips (lower back) must swivel and your whole leg goes forward at each step.

It's essential that this process not be hurried at first. The small steps are a good idea. The advice that your steps be more along a straight line are a result of the hip movement, not something that's leading the hip movement. If you lead with your hip, your footfall will not be far away from your direction of travel.

So, that sexy hip movement is not an accident, it is what it takes to walk in heels all day and not get tired. It won't let you move quickly (untill you are VERY used to it) but it does feel good!

tina

My destiny is before me Brandi Wyne's Avatar
    I've seen this or a similar thread before and one thing was to not get too tall of heels to start. Also, it mentioned that women walk with the movement in the hips and men walk with movement from the shoulders.

A shorter stride and giving those hips a bit of a rolling motion can do much for the look with a an effort to get those heels out and those toes in for a straighter, more graceful, feminine look.

XXs
    Mickey
    [SIZE="3"]Brandi[/SIZE]
    Love life and find happiness where you can.

And then there a people like me who would love to wear heels but do to an accident my ankle will not support me. Oh woh is me. What ever shall I do?

Rey.

Easy..think your walking on ice skates on a floor and not on the ice...and then add a swing to your butt and Voila!!! your walking in heels...

Seriously, just practice walking....it's like learning to ride a bike with practice it will come to you...
    Discovering the female self aka "Bitch with an Attitude"

Another tip I was given is this:

If you live in an area with sidewalks and curbs, walk along the curb, with one foot in front of the other. That seemed to help me alot.

Duchess of Eyeliner Erica2Sweet's Avatar
    To get started:

1. Choose the longest room you have access to and set a full length mirror (or the closest you have to a full-length) at each end of the room facing one another.

2. Put your shoes on and walk back and forth between the two mirrors making adjustments to your body movements and steps to better mimic others who walk skillfully in heels.

3. Compare what you discover about your movements to where you want to be as often as you can. Make corrections and try again... and again. There are many videos on Youtube and other video sites that you can use to compare your movements and measure your progress.

Hope this helps!

Happy Holidays!

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulaW View Post
    Another tip I was given is this:

If you live in an area with sidewalks and curbs, walk along the curb, with one foot in front of the other. That seemed to help me alot.
    Don't you think that would make you stand out a bit? To say nothing of the possibility of embarrassment or injury should you stumble?

Not sure I'd try that training method but glad it worked for you....

Heel to toe, legs close together, chest out, sway your hips naturally with your legs.. then P R A C T I C E ..it is Soooo painful when you start wearing heels, but it does get easier!
    When Life Gives You Lemons, Throw them Back and Ask For Chocolate!!

Mostly Harmless...
    The hardest part is to getting used to wearing the high heels, especially ones with rather high heels. The way I learned how to walk with them was rather simple.

1. Walk on a line. This makes walking so much easier and it also gives your hips a natural feminine motion so you don't have to work on it yourself so hard.

2. Smaller steps. With this you are able to walk easier as high heels aren't meant to be walked with huge steps at all.

3. Practice before you go out. Believe me, it's not a nice feeling of being god knows how far from how and you start to realize that you can't really hold yourself up anymore. It might be wise to carry another pair of shoes in case you are starting to have really hard time to walk in the high heels you have right now.
    I look like a Girl
    With Makeup on my Face
    In Reality
    A cute Kitty I am!

high heels

A lot of great advise above. Try to find a pair that fits you very well. Then practice and practice. A good positive attitude helps, too. You would be amazed at how many women do not own any heel as they do not think they can walk in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria in heels View Post
    Make sure that when you are walking in heels, that you do try "NOt" to walk toe to heel...it dosen't work and I don't know where they came up with that one.
    Yes it does work, ask any cat walk model. You learn to walk in heels by learning to walk on your tip toes, then you get used to walking toe to heel, it's very easy One foot in front of the other and make sure you aren't swinging your arms, you should only move them from the elbow down. You do NOT walk in them like you're walking in trainers/sneakers, you'll ruin the heel of the shoe.

<edit> Read this: -

http://www.wikihow.com/Walk-Like-a-Catwalk-Model
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 12-08-2009 at 09:43 PM.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

As dumb as it sounds, for me practice and practice.

That's all I did.

keep balance is the most important......., use your hips instead of shoulders to keep balance....ant then try to walk smoothly and softly......don't just imitate the way women walk in heels.....practice more and you can get the feeling