Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working in a Women's Clothing Store

Working in a Women's Clothing Store

I was wondering if anyone else here ever worked in a women's clothing store?

When I was 26, about 30 years ago, a friend I'd worked with in a men's store called and asked if I wanted a job as an assistant manager of a women's mid-level clothing store here in town. I did, and a few weeks later I was in management training in the main store, one of four in the area.

I'm sure it's somewhat like an alcoholic getting a job in a liquor store. This store sold everything other than jewelry and makeup for women.

After a few weeks I was given a key to the store and the alarm code, as I often had to stay later until everything was in shape for closing. Many nights I'd stay late and spend hours trying on clothes, every different style and color, even wedding gowns. I'm sure I would have worked there for free if they'd asked

Given that I worked a least 10 hours a day, six days a week, it wasn't a very well paying job, so I made up for that by taking a lot of things home. Not proud of that today, but not all that sorry as I was grossly underpaid.

By the time I left that job, I had an amazing wardrobe, much more than any woman I knew then, especially when it came to lingerie. Most days I wore a bra, panties, slip and garterbelt with stockings under my suit, a different matching set every day.

At one point, I was temporarily the foundation's buyer, and I was given many free things by the salesmen, all in my "wife's" size, of course

It was one of the best times of my life. And it was when I began going out regularly en femme. No point in staying home when you have tons of beautiful clothes to show off.

If you want to know more about this, it's ok to email me and ask.

Thanks for reading this, and I'd love to hear your comments.

Karen
    Last edited by KarenHiller; 12-07-2009 at 10:44 PM.

WOW, that's pretty amazing! What a wonderful opportunity. Would have loved to see your closet.
    Huggs, Renee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by renee k View Post
    WOW, that's pretty amazing! What a wonderful opportunity. Would have loved to see your closet.
    Huggs, Renee
    Which one? I had three then

Omg!

How could you quit a job like that ! Died and gone to heaven!

Just kidding , you know your life better than I do!

But, but, but... dream job...
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

I'm grossly underpaid at my job for what I do, but I don't make a habit of stealing from my employer.

ditz
    that's got to be one of my ultimate fantasies!

I often dream about being "Accidentally" locked in a department store over night! The fun we could have!! trying on clothes, wis, makeup, lingere, shoes, stockings, gowns! i could live n one of those shops!

Sophie

Just be glad you do not work as a teller at a bank. You do not get to take home the deposits to make up for the low pay.

Silver Member
    Too bad the place didn't have hidden security cameras. Maybe if you donate some of your things you can feel better about stealing all that stuff.

As I have stated on this board previously--about 5 years ago, I worked for New York & Co for two years, and I then worked for The Limited for 6 months. I worked as a guy.

It can be a fun and challenging job, but it can also be very tiring work, especially during the holidays. To give you an idea what your legs and feet will feel like, try standing and walking around your house for 4 hours without sitting down once. Take a 1/2 hour break sitting, then stand and walk for 4 more hours. Then to see what it can be like if you are held for a 12 hour shift (due to some 18 yr old no show or last minute call off), stand for 4 more hours. You'll see what leg pain can really feel like. You also must be pleasant and smiling the whole time. Add to this being dumped on by some irate customer who has nothing better to do. You are also under the gun for sales and getting customers to get the store credit card. All this for minimum wage. Add in working oddball shifts and weekends. Store SA's have to be the most underpaid people out there.

I did actually enjoy my time at the stores. I learned a lot and the discount was very nice.

It might sound glamourous, but it can be demanding, tiring work. My hat is off to every store manager and SA out there who do this every day for a career.

Jodi

Karen I have my own thrift store and have tried on every dress in my size. I also sell gowns and wedding dresses on Craigs list. If you check my thread "what does Santa want" you can see a couple of the wedding dresses that our sister Julie513 is wearing. These are brand new and I sell for about 1/5 thier original cost. So I know exactly how you felt. Wasn't it great. To bad retail doesn't pay well.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Working in a Women's Clothing Store

wow that's great, it would be my dream job, but like you I would spend to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarasometimes View Post
    Too bad the place didn't have hidden security cameras. Maybe if you donate some of your things you can feel better about stealing all that stuff.
    It was like 30 years ago, and I'm not that person anymore

Banned Read only
    A woman's clothing store? Now that's a "dream job". haha

WOW! I love to have full privite access to a whole store of women's clothes. I would never leave.
    Cary

some girls have all the luck.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Back in the late 1940's, before many of you were even born, I worked in what was then the major department store in Portland, Oregon. I was a teen ager and was officially titled as a "stock clerk." That meant I could be working anywhere in the store. For reasons still unknown to me (I was then a closet CD), I worked either in lingerie, or in the Fragrance (Perfume) departments. Never had an opportunity to try on panties, etc., but sure did get to try perfumes and colognes! There was a fountain in the Fragrance department that sprayed the fragrance of the day into the air. Ladies could also did their hands in it. For the two years I worked at that store, five days a week, my job was to select the fragrence and fill the fountain before I left for the night. Every night I left the store smelling like a nice flowery lady!! It was impossible to fill the fountain without getting it on me! And I had to ride the bus home!! but being a Cd, I actually liked it!! Sure, I got kidded by other people on the bus, but I think people were nicer to each other in those days. Never heard any bad comments, like I was a "homo", etc. Most of the bus people saw me almost every day, so felt they knew me. Only wished I could have worn some nice lingerie to go with the cologne! That would have made a real nice bus trip!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I've fantasized about having a job like the one you enjoyed. What a dream!
    warmly, Linnea

When I was in high school I worked as an SA in a Leggs Hanes Bali factory outlet store. Selling bras and pantyhose, doing bra fittings, it was a surprisingly delightful gig for a teenaged guy. I also happened to be pretty extraordinarily awesome at it. I was seen as sort of an oddity at first, but I knew way more about our product lines than any of the other girls who worked there... What payed real dividends for me was being the only guy in my dorm who could not only identify a girls correct bra size, but also tell her what size she was wearing.

There are days when I miss that job - it was one of the only things about high school that didn't completely suck.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Gold Member
    I have built and remodeled many womans stores, from med. to high end.
    On the remodeling end, a store manager would baby sit us as so nothing
    would disapier. By the way, The LADIES dressing rooms were always one
    place that needed the most repairs. Seems like some people used them
    as rest rooms a lot. The only way to freshen them up was to replace
    everything. Carpet, drywall, even the doors I thought that women
    were the fairer sex. Rader

Just a girl at heart too Kerigirl2009's Avatar
    You have confessed and should be forgiven. How many of us have procured an item without paying. It doesn't matter what it is even if its something that doesn't have a monetery value. So drop the attitude. I would have to venture a guess that 99 percent of all people have taken something that did not belong to them. Um can I borrow your pen. for instance. If you didn't return it then its stolen.
    By the way I have had that fantasy of being locked up in a mall and trying on all those pretty clothes. Maybe I will have to look for a job in a mall.
    Now where did I get this pen from.....?

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenHiller View Post
    It was like 30 years ago, and I'm not that person anymore
    Glad to hear that!It still feels good to donate to a worthy cause. Maybe it can help someone who is underpaid and doesn't steal to make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RADER View Post
    I have built and remodeled many womans stores, from med. to high end.
    On the remodeling end, a store manager would baby sit us as so nothing
    would disapier. By the way, The LADIES dressing rooms were always one
    place that needed the most repairs. Seems like some people used them
    as rest rooms a lot. The only way to freshen them up was to replace
    everything. Carpet, drywall, even the doors I thought that women
    were the fairer sex. Rader
    In the 13 stores I managed during my employment, no one ever used the dressing rooms that way, but I will say that the women's bathrooms were almost always a mess, more than most men's rooms I'd been in.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerigirl2009 View Post
    You have confessed and should be forgiven. How many of us have procured an item without paying. It doesn't matter what it is even if its something that doesn't have a monetery value. So drop the attitude. I would have to venture a guess that 99 percent of all people have taken something that did not belong to them. Um can I borrow your pen. for instance. If you didn't return it then its stolen.
    By the way I have had that fantasy of being locked up in a mall and trying on all those pretty clothes. Maybe I will have to look for a job in a mall.
    Now where did I get this pen from.....?
    Forgeting to return a pen may be stealing if I were to agree with you or as I like to view it, just forgeting. But trying on clothes and then bagging them and bringing them home from your employer's store without paying for them has nothing to do with forgetting. Yes we have a confession, but no apparent effort seems to have been made to right her wrong. There are a lot of people who have gone to jail after confessing. I simply suggested the maybe doing a good deed might help gain her forgiveness and give her some warm fuzzies not to mention help out someone who needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarasometimes View Post
    Forgeting to return a pen may be stealing if I were to agree with you or as I like to view it, just forgeting. But trying on clothes and then bagging them and bringing them home from your employer's store without paying for them has nothing to do with forgetting. Yes we have a confession, but no apparent effort seems to have been made to right her wrong. There are a lot of people who have gone to jail after confessing. I simply suggested the maybe doing a good deed might help gain her forgiveness and give her some warm fuzzies not to mention help out someone who needs it.
    I'm not here looking for affirmation or forgiveness, and before you judge me or anyone else, you should get to know them first.
    Last edited by KarenHiller; 12-14-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenHiller View Post
    I'm not here looking got affirmation or forgiveness, and before you judge me or anyone else, you should get to know them first.
    I don't know you well but what I do know is that you made a post here telling about your past where you took clothing from an employer without paying for it and although you say you are not proud of it you are also not all that sorry either because you were underpaid. I think I know enough to keep my valuables a safe distance and still encourage you, if possible to help those less fortunate. Please remember I did not open this can of worms, you did. You state that you wanted comments.
    You brag about taking so much that it was more lingerie than any woman you knew back then. I think the underpaid comments are so you can still justify why you stole. Maybe a second job back then would have been a better choice or changing the one you had. i also find that the next job there was foundation buyer where you got even more free stuff (at least that may have been gotten appropriately).
    I have no problems putting my head on my pillow at night becuase I haven't ever been a thief, underpaid or not.
    I believe you are an opportunist and hope you wont have the chance to take something of mine for whatever excuse you choose to come up with.
    It is the holiday season, make yourself feel good and donate, your time if you can't afford more. Sara