Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to sit with legs crossed

if i stretch i can do the cross, but my legs go numb real quick...

Over the years my upper thighs have gotten a little bigger,(guess they need a little more exersise) which makes crossing my legs a little more difficult than in my teens.
    I have always found that for me when sitting that way if I sit more on the butt cheek of the leg on the bottom and lean a little with my torso it helps me sit that way more comfortably.
    Not having anything in the way does help as well.

Amanda

I have no problem with the single cross as I have been doing it for years. About ten years ago I saw a woman doing a feminine double cross and tried it out but it felt extemely uncomfortable while the woman I saw doing the double cross went in and out of it with ease. Just tried it this morning and no luck, age has caught up with me LOL.
    SRS January 27

Duality sometimes hurts.. PetiteDuality's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    And, of course, once you get that down and it becomes comfortable, you can go for the very feminine double cross:

I once read that when women do that, it's a sign of attraction or flirting. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    Yup. That is all this is, it has nothing to do with pelvic geometry or calf length ratios or tolerance for discomfort or extra dangly bits in the way and everything to do with bulk. How do I know? My wife could never pull this off either until she lost 50 pounds... Now she does it all the time, including the wrap behind the leg maneuver - pain free.
    I second that. I could never do it when I was 230lbs, but I can get a lot closer to it now that I'm 180ish. I'm still not entirely there, but I can sit with them crossed at the knee pretty well, even in men's pants.

The girl in the linked photo to me seems to be a model, which means she's skinnier than even the average GG which helps. I've seen slender men sit with their legs crossed in this way as well, even Barack Obama in some TV interviews.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

I have found crossing my legs has become as easy as 1-2-3 because...

1. I tuck all the time.
    2. I kept trying to keep them crossed until it became natural.
    3. I like it

[SIZE=2]Flexibility is the key, IMO. 4 months ago when I was terribly out of shape, every muscle would scream for mercy when I crossed my legs. But now I can do the double cross fairly easily. I would suggest some hip opening exercises. They work wonders [/SIZE]

Some of y'all are going to hate me for this but I can easily double cross my legs (though single is more comfortable) and have been able to for years. Helps I'm very skinny and flexible.

Individual
    Just wanted to agree with most folks here, thigh size is the key. My wife can no longer cross her legs like this either. I have always preferred to sit this way. And, by the way, I do not think anyone is looking at you, pointing, and yelling "girlie!". Most news casters and politicians sit in a tight cross, since the "manly" cross places focus on your crotch. Watch almost any interview with a president of the U.S. or prime minister of the U.K. in the last 20 years (Except possibly W., but that's another story entirely.)

As for the "double" cross, I also find that very comfortable.

A few people, including Doc, mention yoga. There is a common yoga pose known (in English) as "eagle" (Sanskrit: Garudasana, follow the link to view: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/785).

Clearly, this is a "double" cross with some added elements. If you want to develop a more healthy body and mind, with some added feminine traits, take up yoga. You will not be disappointed.

I saw one person say that they cannot touch their toes... Ouch! Please, please work on that before you are too stiff to walk!

You have to cross over up farther and make you crossed leg go down be force. If not done right it could cause some pain.And it's not a comfortable way to sit.
    Angie

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

Just tried it

Ok, I just moved the chair back and crossed my legs, and I'm in some tight VS jeans. When I just crossed them I got about a 30 degree angle between the two legs, but I tensed some muscles a bit and could get the legs parallel without much trouble. I wouldn't want to leave them there forever, and I don't think that pose is as flattering as a small bit of angle, or having both legs parallel but at an angle to the body.

Frankly, I wouldn't try to sit like that normally...just not very attractive to my mind, but if I can do it in jeans, it sure can be done without (oh, and I'm 59 so it's not an age issue).

tina

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I know you asked about keeping the legs parallel when crossed, but this is a hard position to sit in comfortably for extended periods of time even for GGs. It is good for picture poses though!

This is the more natural way that GGs cross their legs, even while wearing a skirt, with the foot extended outward.

Attachment 103330
    agree 100%, i can force my legs parallel however sitting naturally i sit like your pic with my foot pointing slightly out. i spend 3 to 4 days a week dressed at my desk so have had alot of practice, actually when typing this it made me think about how much my legs are crossed and they are alot of the time. even typing now i seem to sit back from the desk with my legs crossed and type away?????

silk

Quote Originally Posted by silkenhose View Post
    this it made me think about how much my legs are crossed and they are alot of the time.
    I had a ballet teacher when I was young. She told me to avoid crossing my legs if I could, and just sit, knees together with lower legs at an angle (doesn't matter if ankles are crossed or not). The reason for this is to keep blood circulation in the leg flowing, and hopefully minimize varicose veins as we age.
    Reine

Wink Never had a problem with it...

[SIZE="3"]I've never had a problem with the traditional "girl" style cross-legged sitting and actually used to do it without thinking about it before I started dressing. I recently went through a ton of old photos from when I was a kid and had a good chuckle with them with my wife. The more she looked at them, the more she has to agree - I've always been kinda' a girl!

The photos of me from the 2nd grade on up become increasingly incriminating. In almost all of the informal pics taken by my mom, I'm sitting with my legs crossed "girl style." I don't think a lot of ten-year-old boys did that![/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I had a ballet teacher when I was young. She told me to avoid crossing my legs if I could, and just sit, knees together with lower legs at an angle (doesn't matter if ankles are crossed or not). The reason for this is to keep blood circulation in the leg flowing, and hopefully minimize varicose veins as we age.
    ouch I am now typing with legs uncrossed...............hope this is ok with the Boss............

Like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Petite Duality:
    I'm too old...
    Enacting life's lessons into positive change...

Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    Yup. That is all this is, it has nothing to do with pelvic geometry or calf length ratios or tolerance for discomfort or extra dangly bits in the way and everything to do with bulk. How do I know? My wife could never pull this off either until she lost 50 pounds... Now she does it all the time, including the wrap behind the leg maneuver - pain free.
    To all who have learned to cross legs elegantly, my compliments and admiration for hard work and effort you put in.

But to say that pelvic anatomy has nothing to do is not true. There are significant differences between male and female pelvis.

Female pelvis is wider side to side and shorter in height and tilted more than male pelvis. Hip sockets in male face straight out whereas in female they face more to front, also hips are spaced wider apart in female. Neck of Femur [Thigh Bone] is angled more in female than male. Distance from hip joint to bottom of pelvis is shorter in female, hence less obstruction to inward movement of thigh [in addition to other more visible part in male]. Also comparing similar body frame male, female thigh has less girth.

All above together make female body better designed to cross legs. Also women do not wait till adulthood to start crossing legs; they start in early age and so develop proper strength and flexibility in formative years. Those like Randi can attest to it. Of course leaner the thigh, easier it is and vice a versa. At the end practice and training can help any one get there; it is just a lot harder for GM than GG.

Easy Peasy, I dont know what all the fuss is about.

Nicole

nicole-14_11_2009-027.jpg

Originally posted by Ashlee
    The trick might be photoshop. That pic in the link doesn't look "normal" but hey that's me.
    the header of the picture in question reads
    NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D2X Adobe Photoshop CS3
    Windows 2007:10:29 22:36:40

however it may just have been to add the photog's watermark

Quote Originally Posted by silkenhose View Post
    ouch I am now typing with legs uncrossed...............hope this is ok with the Boss............
    Try this one! Crossed ankles only. It's a classic, and no need to cut off circulation.
    Attachment 103494
    Reine

I keep thin and run and cycle regularly. I have rather big thighs. It hurts to cross my legs....maybe I should give up cycling. I do not have the movement capability of multi-directional femur-to-pelvis bone socket that our child-bearing sistren have.

Just did the double cross...now I have to see if I can still walk when I get untangled.

the double cross is hard

I have been crossing my legs from as long as I can remember.
    I just tried the double cross for the first time and I have to admit that it is not easy and I can feel my muscles hips stretching as well as those in thighs, It feels good but I will have to work into holding the position for longer that 3 minutes. On the other hand I have not been able to sit indian style for as long as I can remember, the muscles on the inner thighs are just to tight.

I had to hold them together for the pic but this is the result, looks very feminine if you ask me.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...e/DSC_0632.jpg
    Last edited by ReineD; 12-13-2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: IMG Tags removed. Pic exceeds max forum size.