Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaving The Neighborhood

There is always at least 1 or 2 "busybodies" in any neighborhood that peer out windows, pay more attention to neighbors than is normal, etc.
    If such a person lived on my block and told some other neighbor "Did you know that the guy who lives in that house wears women's clothes?" the neighbor's response would probably be "Yeah. I know. Doesn't he look nice?"

An interesting comment about not parking cars in the garage. Before I moved to Texas I never had a house with a garage. Then when I bought my own home I made sure it had a two car garage and that's where my cars live. The folks next door have a two car garage with nothing in it and still park outside. I wonder why.

Vieja

There really is no magic solution. The light of day is unforgiving and neighbors do notice things. The most practical tactic is to dress as much as possible at home and finish up in your car somewhere. This is a little easier to accomplish in winter than in summer cuz you can cover up with coats and whatever, but unless you're willing to wear a burka, you are still exposed to some degree. I think you can get away with doing all your makeup except lipstick and blush before you leave the house, but of course you'll want to wait to put on earrings, wig, etc. Compared to starting from scratch in the car, which I've done a gazillion times, just shedding outer garments and applying a couple of finishing touches is a breeze.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I don't really care about the neighbors, except for one. My Wife's family live about 150 feet from our front door and have a good view of the driveway. I can dress anytime I want but the only condition is her elderly parents don't find out. So I underdress and finish once I am away from home. So far I've always had a safe changing room available, either a hotel at the end of the trip or at a CD support group meeting.

I'll keep reading the posts here for when I move.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara918 View Post
    If such a person lived on my block and told some other neighbor "Did you know that the guy who lives in that house wears women's clothes?" the neighbor's response would probably be "Yeah. I know. Doesn't he look nice?"
    Then you are very lucky! Sadly, in most neighborhoods the reaction would not be the same.

Leaving The Neighborhood

I have faced that problem for years and so far no one has said anything about that women driveing my car,

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. This turned out to be an even more interesting thread than I suspected it would be and it's reassuring at least to know that I'm not only one with this dilemma.

One thing I took from the responses is that the type of neighborhood you live in makes a difference. I live in one of those neighborhoods where everyone is freindly and waves at you as you drive by. That's nice but a bit of a disadvantage when one is trying to depart unnoticed.

Good tips on the survelliance cameras. That's something that has become very common with all the security concerns and something I hadn't thought about before. I would

There were many great ideas and I'm going to try some of them out.
    Something happens and I'm head over heels.

Raksha's My Dreamboat Tracy_Victoria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post

There were many great ideas and I'm going to try some of them out.
    Like all things related to this hobby, it all about finding your own way, and what works for you.
    Cya

Tracy

[SIZE="2"]The nail that stands out the most, is the one that is hammered down the hardest![/SIZE]

I yam what I yam,

Smile Neighborhood

When I moved here it was at the behest of my kids. They wanted the antique close to where my daughter's live when comes the time I need their help. Not yet. I'm just 79. My goodness. Older daughter was the main instigator. She's an RN and expects to have the primary care duty. I'm blessed.
    Anyway, back to the "hood"... What do I do to guard against the prying eyes of the neighbors, with none of whom I have any commonalities or interests? Well, only when I climb on the riding mower to trim the lawn... then I do a little extra attention to tucking my skirt under my legs... that's to give salute to an old Granny's modesty cause the yard is rough and I bounce a round a good deal on that seat.
    Do the neighbors know I dress, come, go, and live nearly all the time as a woman? Of course, unless they are blind and stupid they do. Do I care? What do you think?

Granny Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    BTW, doesn't anyone (who lives in houses) put there cars in the garage? Here in Texas, it's a lost art - sounds like it's like that all over. That would greatly aid in the "getaway".....

Yeah. I got one of those lists of jokes on the internet recently. One of them was:

"Only in America do we park our $35,000 cars in the driveway and fill our garages with worthless junk."

Lovies,
    Stephenie
    No It happens just the same here in the U.K.
    Think about this ,when did you last see you neighbors go out , and what were they wearing , now you all have a quick look to see if the coast is clear so you must be aware of whats going on in the street,
    i bet you cant remember or not interested in what they were wearing, just like your neighbors about you

J-JAY
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Hugs J-JAY

Never underestimate the power of brains and a push up bra.

Never complain about growing old, far too many people have been denied that privilege".

I notice my neighbors coming and going all the time, and I'm not particularly nosy. Small town life and all that. The front of my house has lots of windows and I can see out even when they can't see me, plus I'm out in the yard fairly often. I usually notice what the neighbor across the street is wearing cuz she's a sharp dresser. And if I ever spotted her husband coming out in a dress and heels, I guarantee you I would be riveted! I know that the woman next door to her is a nurse cuz of her uniform. Two houses down from me is a cute young woman who likes to wear short shorts. Across the street from her is a latino teenager who wears baggy shorts and his cap on backwards. Shall I go on?

If you are out then it doesn't matter what anyone sees, but if not, you can cover up by looking mostly like you usually do and adding final touches on the road. The winter is good for me, you can wear your boots in deep snow and a heavy coat to cover up and no one will see. The large snowbanks can also add privacy. Some people use a van or camper to change. On the road, pick an open space and don't look conspicuous so you don't attract attention. A good spot is a movie theater parking lot since people don't stick around too long watching you, but they may have security cameras or a club where it might be common for people to change in/out of their sports gear.

I am sorry if I am repeating others' ideas. If you have a garage, back it in to make for an easier get away as you leave (but pull in forward upon your return). Window tinting goes a long way - works for me. Put your make-up on minus lipstick, and wear sunglasses. Depending on what top you have on, a jacket may be needed. If you see the neighbors, don't avoid them, unless you pretend you're on the phone - act as normal as possible short of stopping to chat. Good luck!
    HURRY-UP, IN THE BACK SEAT!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good idea on backing into the garage. It is a little unsettling backing out of the garage and not having visibility until the car is out of the garage. Driving forward out of the garage is a much better idea. Tinted windows on the next car are a must. Also sunglasses are a definate must-have, along with coats, hats, etc.

I like the idea about movie theatre, there are always people parked in those lots.

Of course I could decide to not go out during the daylight, but that isn't going to happen.

Another important message I take from all the responses is that for the most part, other people really don't care what you are doing as long as it doesn't impact them. By and large I agree with this, and thank god for that since that is what has allowed me to get out during the daylight hours enfemme. But like with every rule there are exceptions, and my neighborhood is one of them. The great ideas all you girls have shared will be put to good use. And bottom line is that if I get read by a neighbor despite all the precautions, well, then I'm out. Or better still, I'll use Karren's approach and get a new red sports car!
    Something happens and I'm head over heels.

I live on a busy street but just go out and get in the car. Since I work as a woman I have no choice and have yet to be confronted by neighbors. If anyone were to see me I don't think they would care and would just figure one of my relaatives was using the car. I even have a Vanity plate so my vehicle is recognizable. I work about 10 minutes from my house but the parking lot is secure so I just accept he fact that I am a woman going to work and deal with it. Of course, if my wife were to see me that might be another thing altogether.

I leave from the garage, no wig, full makeup, loose pants & light jacket over cloths. A few miles down the road, wig on, jacket & pants off.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelRICD View Post
    I live on a busy street but just go out and get in the car. Since I work as a woman I have no choice and have yet to be confronted by neighbors. If anyone were to see me I don't think they would care and would just figure one of my relaatives was using the car. I even have a Vanity plate so my vehicle is recognizable. I work about 10 minutes from my house but the parking lot is secure so I just accept he fact that I am a woman going to work and deal with it. Of course, if my wife were to see me that might be another thing altogether.
    This intrigues me -- you work outside the house as a woman, but at the same time, you're not fully out to your wife? Sounds like a recipe for a potential disaster, if I'm reading your message correctly.

- Diane

New England, somewhere on the fringe of genderland
    Well.if you are worried your nieghbors will recognise you why not wear some sort of disguise ?!?.......; )