Thread: Lipstick Question

Lipstick Question

What is the best brand of lipstick to buy besides Revlon that has lots of colors to choose from? Hope all you girls can help me! Angie

living life to the full Jamie M's Avatar
    I've always had a lot of luck with Avon. Failing that Mabyline HTH
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

My Facebook Page

I like Avon myself. Easy to order to.

Kisses, April
    no matter how much love we have, we can not feel it if we are not happy inside

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!",author unknown

Women to me are gods greatest forms of beauty and art in motion.

I have recently started wearing out last by cover girl and have always liked neutrogena. The out last is amasing in how long it wears and they seem to have a good color selection.
    Hugs Krystal.
    What does not kill us only makes us stranger!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angie Marie
    What is the best brand of lipstick to buy besides Revlon that has lots of colors to choose from? Hope all you girls can help me! Angie
    What's wrong with Revlon??? I love the scent... it takes me back.

I'll take the pink one.
    "Just be honest, be faithful and have fun" ~ my wife

[size=4]I like Avon, too. Look at www.avon.uk.com , even if you don't buy from them it's a good place to look around for ideas.[/size]
    [SIZE=5]Natalie [SIZE=4](the Tranny Granny)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]The thantom phread killer striks again[/SIZE]

Egad

Where to start?

MAC, L'oreal (Lancom's affordable line), Manic Panic (only place I go for my blue lipstick), hmm, there's so many. I'm sure Ayla could write a book, but MAC and Manic Panic are me'favorites.
    "If there's trouble, all us freaks have is each other" ~ Abe Sapien, Hellboy

Quote Originally Posted by Ophelia D'Void
    Where to start?

MAC, L'oreal (Lancom's affordable line)...
    Agree... L'oreal (for that scent I crave).. and MAC has a great selection of colors.

I'll take the pink one.
    "Just be honest, be faithful and have fun" ~ my wife

Smashbox, Laneige

Everyone really has to find the cosmetics line that suits them. I haven't tried much of the higher-end stuff, and there's so much of it!

I personally like L'Oréal - like Ophelia said, that's Lancôme's 'drugstore' line. There's 'drugstore' and 'department store.' Like any other products, some people feel you get what you pay for, others say it's all the same stuff, with the high-end stuff you're paying more for adverts, packaging, & cetera.

Both are true - many girls say L'Oreal Colour Juice lipgloss is no different from Lancôme Juicy Tubes, but on the other hand, I have one Esteé Lauder lipstick ($22, part of a gift-with-purchase deal) and it feels sinfully good and somehow more 'luxurious' than lower-priced ones. But is it worth about 3 to 6 times as much as Revlon, L'Oréal or others?

Walgreens every few weeks has buy 1 get 1 free on L'Oréal, so it comes out to less than $4. Since I love the shades, the scent, and the feel, I'll stick with them until I have more money for such things, then it's gonna be Chanel and Dior for me!

In the meantime, look at what's available at Gloss.com & Sephora.
    Oh, and M•A•C. They're the most cd-friendly cosmetics company out there (who else would use the Boy in their ads?) and it's company policy that the customers' gender or presentation is irrelevant. Halfway between drugstore and dept store prices is still pricey for me, but some of their stuff is pure 'gotta-have-it,' like the Viva Glam shades and Lipgelée, so I'm gonna give in soon and be a little poorer but maybe a little prettier!

Just experiment, you'll have fun and figure out what you like and don't like...

Nothing wrong with Revlon the colors just dont really excite me Angie

Often times non department store brands like Loreal, Revlon, Almay, Neutrogena, etc...their color range aren't as exciting/ interesting as say MAC. Sometimes they will launch a seasonal color that will be discontinued once they run a new campaign ad.

MAC is well known for many exciting range of colors & formula. You can get the matte kind as well the sheer glossier lipstick kind or creamy-glossy ( the amplified) line. They are also very helpful & non discriminating, I'm sure you have no problems getting the kind of color you have in mind. Just tell them..you want something in the pinky-brown family, or reddish or more natural.

I also happened to like Prescriptives ( a department store brand)---they arrange lipsticks by color wheel depending on your skin tone. So if you're Caucasian/asian/hispanic depending on your skin tone....you can choose lipstick color based on the categorized wheel & you can almost be sure that it will flatter your skin tone. I happened to love their matte lipstick formula, it has this powder-feather like consistency & great pigment.Then there's Nars or Vincent Longo...they come out with great textures/ formulas & I like their color range.

I could go on & on....

If you can't decide just one color, you can go to Sephora & get a lipstick palette collection from brands like Stila, Lorac, Benefit, Smashbox, NARS. I think even brands like Revlon & Sonia Kashuk have lipstick palettes.They have a palette of 3 or 4 different colors that is universal enough for mix and match.

If you like a color from a higher end brand & the color is still in the normal range of red/pinks/browns...you could probably find a similar color in the non department store brand with a slight variation on the formula/texture.

Bottom line is all about personal prefference...but if you want to go with unusual colors, it will deffinitely be worth it to invest in higher end department store brands. Also depending how picky you are in textures/ formulas....we GGs can get really specific like that.

Ooooo...Lipstick

My all time personal favorite is Christian Dior's Plastic Shine in Amorous Red. I've never found a more intensive, wet look red, anywhere. Unfortunately, Dior decided to discontinue the line, and it's getting hard to find.

Revlon does have a good color range, with Cherries in the Snow at the top of my list. I've found that Revlons Pink range seems to wash out in bright sunlight. Loreal certainly isn't a slouch in the array of colors to chose from. With Rouge Plup being a good choice for brunettes. Or, those sexy blondes out there.

But Girls, remember, always line your lips with a shade of liner a bit darker than you lipstick. You'd be surprised at the out come.

girlie guy
    I really like L'Oreal ColourRiche.
    Up until today I have only worn red (#350 British Red), which is my favorite.
    Then, for a change, I tried on a pink shade, and I don't know how to explain it, but I feel like a different girl!

~ Bondage & Pantyhose ~ cosmolovesph's Avatar
    I like revlon as well and occasionally get some of the Clinique line too (what the wife wears so i get some too)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Crissandra
    ~AKA - Cosmo-Loves-PantyHose~
    Don't forget to compliment those wearing pantyhose, as to how nice their legs look!

Maybelline and Loreal!
    Marie

Looking for hot colors?.....

In our area we finally got the N.Y.C. (New York Color) cosmetic line in.....
    They have wonderful colors: anywhere from
    (Formal-Fun;ie: Yellow,Lavender,Black,Blue, etc. for fun
    Reds,Bronzes,Neutrals,etc. for Casual & Formal)
    As well as Eye Shadows & Nail Colors to coordinate......
    Hope This Helps........

http://www.newyorkcolor.com/

I also like Revlon,M.A.C.,Etc. depends on color or type I am looking for.
    Last edited by Leilani68; 08-22-2005 at 01:03 PM.
    [SIZE=4]Leilani68[/SIZE]

I simply adore M.A.C. products they have very lovely colors
    Shaylynn

MAC is the way to go girl

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren_T

In the meantime, look at what's available at Gloss.com & Sephora.
    Oh, and M•A•C. They're the most cd-friendly cosmetics company out there (who else would use the Boy in their ads?) and it's company policy that the customers' gender or presentation is irrelevant. Halfway between drugstore and dept store prices is still pricey for me, but some of their stuff is pure 'gotta-have-it,' like the Viva Glam shades and Lipgelée, so I'm gonna give in soon and be a little poorer but maybe a little prettier!

[SIZE=5]YES M*A*C is fantastic in terms of selection and more importantly the help they give you.[/SIZE]

Tiff

Smile

Whats cheap this week ? Anything really.... I'm not so fussy it seems. If I let myself go I'd spend a fortune on cosmetics, but hell, I gotta eat too !

XX

Jayme