Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm taking ballet lessons!

I'm taking ballet lessons!

Well, actually Jamie's male alter-ego is...

Here's the story: I found out about some local lessons for adult beginners. I e-mailed the instructor asking if her class would be appropriate for a thirty-something male with zero dance training (I decided not to mention my proclivity for CDing). She was very encouraging. Then I had to figure out how to bring it up with my wife. I was very nervous; even though she is fairly accepting, sometimes when I suggest new things related to my gender-identity, it can result in an outburst. I worried for two days, then finally worked up the courage just to invite her to take the class with me. She got a big smile and screamed "Yes!" So much needless worrying on my part! We've found a baby sitter, filled out the forms, and mailed in the check.

Today, I bought my first pair of ballet shoes. The lady at the dance store was very nice, and when she found out I taking a class for the first time said "You'll love it!" As this is an adult class, there is no dress code: the flyer says that "most adults wear sweatpants or stretch pants, but some wear tights and leotards." I think I'm going to play it somewhat conservative and just wear my (guy) running tights and a tee-shirt, at least until I see what other people in the class are wearing. Regardless, I will not be wearing a girl's uniform, no matter how much I might like to, but if many people dress professionally I may eventually work up to wearing a guy's leotard or unitard.

It's funny that this is something I've wanted to do for over ten years, but never had the courage to try. It seems like such a non-issue now, I wish I had signed up sooner. I hope it'll help me with grace, poise, posture, and muscle tone, while giving me a good workout in the process. Class starts in less than two weeks: I'll report back after my first class. If what I've heard is true, I'll be really sore.

Thanks for listening. I'm so excited, I just wanted to share it with people who might understand how I feel.
    Last edited by JamieG; 01-12-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Sounds wonderful, Jamie! Have fun.

Good for you Jamie! Hope you and your wife have a really great experience with this. Keep us posted on how you get on, won't you?

(I've really taken to watching ballet performances over the last year....its a wonderful art!)
    "Know, first, who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly.”
    Epictetus (Greek Stoic philosopher) [SIZE="2"](who I'd never heard of either until I stumbled on the quote in "How to walk in high heels" by Camilla Morton )[/SIZE]

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Ballet is great exercise and also will help develop feminine grace and smoother motions. I wish I had the time for such ENJOY!
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    That sounds like fun Jamie, let us know how it goes.
    Dana Ryan

well done Jamie.. i hope you and your wife enjoy your new hobby / excersise... and there is always the role swap options if your wife gets seriously into it and gets a tutu.. ..
    [CENTER] Be sure the brain is engaged, before putting the mouth into gear

[SIZE="3"]Sam and I Are Now Together[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cool beans Jamie. As was already said, have fun.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Have a blast! I did this four years ago, in my mid-50s, and had a great time, learned a lot, and found out that Barishnikov I'm not. But, I was told, and later read, that women dancers generally like a man there as it changes the room dynamics--for the better. They cut me a lot of slack even though they were all better dancers than me. My class was for adult beginners and returning dancers and the class was mostly returning dancers which means these were women who studied dance from the age of five, stopped during college and then were back at it in their late 20s or earlier 30s. I never had a chance, but again had a great time, and recommend it to anyone so inclined.

Men's ballet tights are a lot like running tights (and not like women's tights) assuming your tights are solid black.

congratulations and have fun. Remember the soreness will go away.

I think you will enjoy this!!!

If the class closes and you strive for more, find a local Karate Dojo - you'll find VERY VERY many things in common with Ballet....

Our "dances" are called "Kata's" and involve blocks and punches but the same stretches are done in Karate.

But just enjoy it - that's a beautiful art!
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

I just got done with three dance company's and 9 nutcracker performances. I've thought about dance classes as a way to work on loosening up. and I found out a friend teaches kendo. something I have wanted to try for some time. Just call me Musashi. Carol

That's great Jamie! Keep us informed! Enjoy!
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Gold Member
    Yes it is exercise and a lot of balance.
    I took ballet years ago, never was very good.

One thing you will hear a lot is about turnout. Listen, do NOT force this turnout unnaturally. That is how I messed up my right knee.
    And don't be shocked when 5th position is super akward.

Lots of stretching is going to be in order.

So now for practice at home, time to get a leotard and some tights.

One thing if you get involved in the ballet community - they can be some real bitchy people. They probably would not harass a grown up as much but some of the younger female dancers love to bitch about each other, worse than other sub-cultures.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I have thought about Ballet Lessons before also, but always been afraid that this overweight middle aged person would be laughed at and embarrassed instead.

Jamie don't out do your wife too soon or she may have you quit
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Play it to the hilt. Typical male ballet dance attire:
    White compression t-shirt(Underarmor) dance belt(supporter) black tights, black ballet slippers. Tights are heavier than usual womens tights. Available online numerous places.
    I took ballet lessons 3 times in the past, in my 20's and 30's. Adult beginner classes, females in the class had some training, I had none. Some women liked the idea of a male in the class, some did not..
    Of course I would have loved to go to class dressed in the typical pink tights/black leotard pink ballets, but am satisfied to do that at home.
    I do ballet exercises and strength training/stretching in all sorts of leotard/tights combinations, and just love it. You will too...
    Karen Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Francis View Post
    Play it to the hilt. Typical male ballet dance attire:
    White compression t-shirt(Underarmor) dance belt(supporter) black tights, black ballet slippers. Tights are heavier than usual womens tights. Available online numerous places.
    I took ballet lessons 3 times in the past, in my 20's and 30's. Adult beginner classes, females in the class had some training, I had none. Some women liked the idea of a male in the class, some did not..
    Of course I would have loved to go to class dressed in the typical pink tights/black leotard pink ballets, but am satisfied to do that at home.
    I do ballet exercises and strength training/stretching in all sorts of leotard/tights combinations, and just love it. You will too...
    Now the females that did not like you there, what was their reaction to you?

Great Idea!

I took flamenco lessons a few years ago. I noticed right away that the guys were taught a "macho" way of dancing and the ladies were different. I practiced the women's part on my own and realized the difference. The women are taught to dance with Grace. After that I studies the ladies styles and found that I learned to move in a softer and more feminine way. Great way to learn!

CAT

Good for you, Jamie G. You will enjoy it if your experience is like mine.

I joined my girlfriend's jazz/ballet class and was very welcome by her and the six other ladies one night a week for two years. I was in my early thirties too. If you want to wear leotards and tights, be in them at your very first class and don't look back. For my first class, I was in a black short sleeve zip front v-neck leotard and black tights. Be confident in them and you will be very welcome. I was expected to be in leotards from then on by the ladies. They even fussed at me when I was not. I wore some other styles later. My girlfriend bought me some I felt obligated to wear. And on a couple of nights I took class in some of her extra leotards and tights. But that's another story. Since I was the only guy, I fit right in wearing leotards with my troupe, and subtlely they treated me like just one of the girls. They even loaned me a wrap skirt to wear so I could learn the all girl dance routine for their recital. They thought it better than just standing around. We danced out of our skirts during the dance number. But I was always in male personna there. Afterall I was there as the boyfriend. But I did dance a recital piece with them in a black turtleneck leotard and jazz pants while they were all around me in their bodysuits and fishnets.

The sales agents in the dancewear shops assured me that most leotards are unisex even though they are sized for ladies. So as long as you choose solid dark colors, like black or navy with leotards that are basic you will be fine. Avoid leotards with built in bras and pinched fronts.

Hope you have as much fun as I did and enjoy wearing your leotards and tights in the dance studio.

Congratulations Jamie. Something I wanted to do while a bit younger, but can't turn the clock back now.

I was into karate for a number of years and was never in better shape than at that time. Only draw back was the black and blue bruises on arms and legs from practicing blocks while sparing. Might look a little odd if dressed with short sleeves or skirt.

A few years ago a GG lady friend and I took tango lessons. Don't claim to have learned much, but found following much easier than leading.

Just remember...., If you get REALLY GOOD there's always the Trocs! http://www.trockadero.org/welcometolesball.html

Glenda

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    Sounds great! Enjoy your class.

I hate to bring this up, but some football players take up ballet, to develope balance and agility. Sometimes I think that it would do me some good just for everday life , since I trip over my own feet. Have fun and enjoy.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I've always wanted to go to a dance class. About 10 years ago (before I embraced my feminine side) I had two GG friends that used to go to tap dancing classes. I sooo wanted to go with them and they were somewhat (but not ecstatic) in encouraging me to go with them. Had I have gone I would have been the only guy in the class and everyone wore t-shirts and tights with tap shoes. Anyway, I am dead jealous of you and your wife going to ballet classes together. Keep us informed of how things progress
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Thanks for the comments, everyone! A quick update: my first class is still a week away, so I don't have a lot to report yet. The other night, I tried out my proposed dance outfit: long sleeve white tee, black running tights and my black ballet slippers. I have long legs, so when I wear my running tights without socks the legs end well short of my ankle. They ended up looking like capri leggings! With the delicate slippers and that much ankle showing, it looked very girlish. I showed my wife and she broke out into laughter. She then explained that she wasn't making fun of me, but that I looked just like she and her friends dressed in college. I then took a suggestion from the lady at the dance store and put on some thin black socks. My wife thought this looked much better; more like a male dancer and less like a 90s co-ed. I'm thinking that instead of wearing the tights and the socks, I should just get some black footed dance tights. Imagine my disappointment that I might have to get some footed tights to look more masculine.

More to follow in one week's time.

Ballet is great!!

About 30 years ago my wife and I took an adult ballet class together. It was fantastic!! It was my opportunity to wear ballet slippers, tights and a leotard. By taking ballet I could satisfy my crossdressing fetish out in public. Since those first ballet classes I have continued to purchase and wear ballet slippers, tights and leotards. I wear my Capezio Romeo black leather ballet slippers (soft) at home, at friends and relatives and when I stay in hotels while on business. I have 10 pairs of feminine ballet flats that I wear everywhere with ladies jeans and capris. Ballet class will open many doors for you. It will give you more confidence to show your feminine side.