Thread: Me and my shadow

Me and my shadow

Its that time of the year – to reflect.

I have grown to hate Christmas – the season of false jollity, partly to keep the frenetic activity going to brighten up the mid-winter and partly to stave off the dreaded thought that people are buying less than they used to so as a society we are unable to sustain the relentless upward cycle of consumption that drives the system forward.

Perhaps I have just grown cynical over the years?

I never saw myself as a grump, but then I never saw myself as a lot of things.

So – what is the result of this reflection, apart from a bit of seasonal bad cheer?

The inescapable conclusion that I am essentially two co-existing personalities; one a shadow of the other.

Hardly ground-breaking, I hear you say. It is a fairly conventional view of a male to female cross-dresser.

The big question, though, is which is which? In my earlier years my male persona held sway; the girl within struggling for identity, let alone expression.

Never having dressed fully until my 30s, I couldn’t get to know much about her, apart from her taste in underwear.

Finally in my fifties making an appearance in public for the first time, I was told I seemed amazingly confident. Not how it felt inside – with even basic issues like realising that I had no choice about which toilet to use, for example making me realise just how big a world it is out there.

In my past I did some acting training – but nothing prepared me for the sense of new identity being out and about on a winter’s evening brought to light.

Very early steps indeed – but enough to make me realise that at the moment I am less daunted by the practical issues still, than by the emotional ones to do with the partner I have to create some workable new relationship with.

The question of which personality is more real, though, is more urgent than ever.

If 50+ years of primarily male existence makes me yearn for a few of whatever I have left as much more female time, who is the real me?

I have never felt that I wanted to transition completely – but if I had the power to choose to be one thing rather than the other, I feel strongly that I would tend to the female by preference, but that makes the everyday a prison, now.

Finding the key to get out is my New Year project and one that is related in so many stories on this site.

So I am not expecting lots of responses – just sharing the stage I am at and welcoming any comments it elicits.

Hugs

Paula xxx
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Hi Paula,

Good post and I totally agree with you about Christmas.

I have been living two lives for the past couple of years (weekends female, weekdays male) and have found that graduall, almost imperceptibly the two "me's" are merging into one. They have different gifts and different personalities but fundamentally, underneath, they are the same person.

Like you I edge towards being totally female but my next phase, and my New Years project, is to live as Trish 24/7. This clearly will require a great deal of change and risk but I'm a determined girl.

Good luck and if the snow ever stops and you are ever up in Manchester, look me up,

Hugs
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Who says we really have to make a choice of being one or the other? Many of us have lived with the dichotomy all of our lives. How do people with DID(Dissociative identity disorder) cope? In any case, many of us would never be satisfied fulfilling just one role or the other and this is who we are and how we are made. It helps to have a positive approach and to utilize all of our resources to our advantage to become a full spectrum person. Then it can become a win/win situation.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Rhodes View Post
    Who says we really have to make a choice of being one or the other? ... It helps to have a positive approach and to utilize all of our resources to our advantage to become a full spectrum person. Then it can become a win/win situation.
    I couldn't agree more - but in practice I find it a big struggle lately. Since I told my wife we had had so many issues around other things as well, such as a failing business etc and the sense of guilt I carry around is large, heavy and multi-faceted.

I know in my heart that I could lay all my cards on the table and say this is who I am and let others deal with me rather than the other way round. I have done it before, though not for the same reasons, but I am loathe to sink the rocky boat and a clearer sense of just who I am eludes me just enough to be fearful of the result.

I have met some amazing people who fully declare themselves as a mixture - and it is a real eye-opener, in every sense - so I know it can be done.
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Ideally, the inner personified picture looks something like this, or this.

'Shadow' is what makes the dual negative, not just the fact that it can be dual.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?