Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current or retro?

Current or retro?

Hi girls,

I can't help noticing what a wonderfully diverse collection of personal styles and tastes we have here. Some of you obviously prefer current fashions, while others are attached to the clothing of a particular time in the past.

I know many of you love the clothing of the 1950s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, and others enjoy wearing, or at least fantasizing about, outfits from earlier decades. Some even have a fascination for Victorian fashions. Very cool!

What I would really like to know is, why do you think the clothing of your favorite era appeals to you so much? Do you prefer the image of femininity that was in vogue then? Do you have nostalgic memories of your first childhood crossdressing experiences with a particular style of clothing? Are you thinking of actresses or other female icons who dressed that way? Or is is there perhaps a particular garment from that time period that you love the look and feel of?

Come on, let's hear it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

I dress to blend in and attempt to pass. Therefore mainly jeans and low key blouses since I mainly go clubbing and shopping as a fem. BUT...if I really dressed like I wanted to it would be the 80s look. Sundresses, lots of makeup and big hair. Gawd if that were in style again it would be much more easy to look like a GG, and I love that look, probably cause thats what I saw growing up.

Current fashions are tough cause GGs don't wear much makeup...and their outfits are very unforgiving for those of us that have big shoulders and are not thin.

But its all fun regardless! Nice thread idea.

Hugs,

Deidra

StephanieCD
    I have a few likes - many of my fantasy tastes (being things I wish I had the budget to try) are rooted in the gothic. That would come from a personality quirk I developed through adolescence But "goth" itself gets much of it's fashion from antiquated tastes... I find them very sexy.

My other major weakness is retro pin-up style! I was a young boy (already dressing) and just discovering sexuality. I found a secret room in my family basement - more a locked door behind a bunch of stuff that "never" moved. I went in this little room and found a tiny workshop of sorts. It was my father's and it had these pin-up girls all in it - not to mention some *ehem* reading material. But it was the posters that did it. These (now) retro girls had a massive impact on my definition of sexy as they had the first "girl parts" I ever saw.

That's me - gothic retro. Wish I had the money for the fashions though... only in my head for now

Tristen Cox
    I prefer the 80s probably cause thats how (while growing up) I first learned to take notice of women and fashions of the time. Hated the seventies and don't know what happened after the 90s got started. But that's just me

Marla,
    Its funny, as much as I love antiques and retro stuff ,(my house is full of them)

I never got onto to classic older clothing and lingeree etc.

I may see a cute outfit while looking through a magazine and try to find something similar, even if from a thrift shop.

We go through phases tho so hey ya never know someday I may change

Cindy

Re: Current or retro?

One of the things that has spurred strongly my lifelong crossdressing has been the fashions (both masculine and femenine of the 1930's and the 1940's). If money were no impediment, my wardobes, shoes and hairstyles would likely reflect the visual moods in the late 1930's thru 1940's... Which to me represented a high modern period in femenine expression. The 1940's women's hairstyles (especially hair-up and pompadours) would be my favourites.

Since I am bisexual...my fantasy of what a boyfriend or male chaperone would appear dressed as would be in some sort of complimentary masculine style... No ugly modern sneakers, T-shirts, jeans or tacky baseball caps allowed (in the fantasy).

(Addendum) 1938 magazine cover, and 1942 Warbonds promotion, below.

J.
    Last edited by Mx Justina; 08-05-2005 at 11:55 AM. Reason: uploads

I prefer the 80's because the women of the era make my blood boil. And this was the first type of clothing I had.

Kisses, April
    no matter how much love we have, we can not feel it if we are not happy inside

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!",author unknown

Women to me are gods greatest forms of beauty and art in motion.

My preference is to wear the fashion of the typical woman on the street, meaning mostly jeans or simple skirts, and tee's or flouncy blouses. My intent is to pass and mingle without attracting unwanted attention towards myself. Besides, I came of age in the late 60's and early 70's when denim was practically a requirement, a look I have enjoyed ever since.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Amelie
    I like best, the late 70's-early 80's punk. Clothes that are tight as well as torn are best for me. Ripped tights, saftey pin earings, pink mohawks, wide neck tops, with the shoulders showing. I still see some younger girls dressed similar to this way, so the style isn't completely dead.

~ Bondage & Pantyhose ~ cosmolovesph's Avatar
    I really like the fashions and looks from the 40's, some from the 80's and current styles, (except for the darned bare - legged with heels & the simple fasicnation with flip flops fashion train wreck )

1940's

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Crissandra
    ~AKA - Cosmo-Loves-PantyHose~
    Don't forget to compliment those wearing pantyhose, as to how nice their legs look!

80's because I grew up in that era, plus I just like the type of clothing because it was such a breakthrough.. sometimes watching old "3 stooges" episodes you can see similiar fashion "the lacey see-through tops with corsets showing underneath", that's my favorite.

Banned Read only
    I don't like current styles of junior clothes, I like the junior styles of the 90's. I have very little casual wear since I don't care to blend in with casual wear - I never go out in drag. I find denim skirts and plain tops very boring and something I would never try even if I got it for free. My fetish is womens business suits and I don't care what age they are as long as they look nice. I think I have 33 suits by now.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Lately I've been more concerned with dressing to blend in when we're out, but as you know when dressing at home I love classic chic like stiletto high heels, straight long black skirts, and classic high buttoning twinsets. I guess that's the 1950's or early 60's.

The thing is...in the 1950's I wasn't even born and in in the 1960's I was an infant. I guess I must have started early

Why do I like these types of clothes? Err....well I guess I like the restrictive feel of tight long skirts and heels, and I had a childhood "incident", that I think made me love sweater sets and classic cardigans. When I was six years old, whilst playing hide-and-seek with a neighbor girl, she took her cardigan off and insisted I wear it. I have had a thing for them ever since.

The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Smile

I like to stay in fashion of 'th time, but my ulitmate favorites have to be from the 70's velvets outfits to 'th 80's and 90's skirt outfits. and i also some modern day fashions as well. you could say that i like a little bit of everything as long it is gothic i will wear it.

StephanieCD
    Because I know everyone really wonders "what does StephanieCD think?" I just have to say that this thread is really interesting and I hope to hear more replies about where everyone feels their tastes originate...

Hmmm

I think my look would be modern street/cyber from the likes of TUK, Lip Service, and various tidbits thrown together or fabricated, usually with a corset thrown into the mix to keep it all tight (double entendre intended).

I grit my teeth in saying "goth", in the sense that I don't like to label myself. I find the term thrown around loosely, even to the point that I read somewhere that someone was "going goth" just because he was wearing black and was grumpy that day. Call me old school, but I always felt like the term was something that could be bestowed on someone by someone else who was already one, but you couldn't be one by self-proclamation. Sorta like if you started telling everyone that you're a knight just because you had a sword and curly shoes. Not sure if anyone's ever called me "goth" before, so I'll leave it at that and just say I'm into dark 80's new wave and late 80's/90's industrial.

Started dressing in the 80's, although I have to say that my style changes with the times. Although for the life of me I can't see myself wearing women's pants... just seemed like it defeated the purpose of dressing like a woman.
    "If there's trouble, all us freaks have is each other" ~ Abe Sapien, Hellboy

Artistically Feminine Ava Mouse's Avatar

Retro!

Even though, I was a teen in the 80's, and loved some of the cute outfits then, especially the bright colors and miniskirts... the 30's/40's always came across as elegant. I love the long flowing gowns and hairstyles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ava Mouse - An artist experimenting with the medium of femininity...
    "Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery."

I'm a contemporary dresser, in that i wear what is fashionable today. If it was the eighties again, i'd be right into whatever was in style during that decade.

Having said that, I would like to wear 1800's period dresses. I think they are just gorgeous!

Christine
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Love And Devotion To My Online Family

I'm outa the closet, but still inda house!

Fashion have not really got to grips with thw whole idea. I loved late 70's 80,s trousers, satin disco jeans and such and the really tight high waisted ones. Edwardian dresses are just so elegant and impracticle just would love to give one of those a go.
    I think I just get what I like and dont really care about the fashion of our time. Most of what you see is just high street tat and in darb is a bit tricky to go hunting for that one stunning top, thats why I go shopping with the wife, can go back later

Aspiring Member
    I have always loved the fashions of the late 50s and early 60s - yes the period I grew up in. But I particularly like the classic looks of that era - the straight skirt sweater girl look, the fitted dresses, the pearls and heels. I also liked the fashions of the romantic era of the late 70s and early 80s - which emulated some aspects of the 50s - and also brought back the small pillbox hat and veil look.

I don't particularly search eBay or pre-loved clothes shops for the retro clothes but i try to buy contemporary clothes that fit that style.

http://uk.geocities.com/tiriada/aquatop.JPG

Fiona xx

The former Melissa I Michelle I's Avatar
    I have a great a fascination for Victorian fashions, I think it would be wonderful to be dressed in all the lace and material that the clothes were made of. Unforunately that would create even more of a problem when I attempt to pass, so I stick with the latest fashions for a woman of my age. I would love to dress in minis and halter tops but in an attempt to blend in, I stick with knee length skirts, jackets and small heels.

I love 60s and 70s stuff. Knee boots, tights and mini skirts and and a scarlet trench coat. Kaftans and flairs too. Well it is kind of current anyway, and I just want to feel like a normal girl.. I love this whole Boho stuff going on now.
    Anyway as a boy I have a 60's stlye and as a girl I just switch it around.

Pixie Hollow's Vixen Katie Ashe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marla GG
    Why do you think the clothing of your favorite era appeals to you so much? Do you prefer the image of femininity that was in vogue then? Do you have nostalgic memories of your first childhood crossdressing experiences with a particular style of clothing? Are you thinking of actresses or other female icons who dressed that way? Or is is there perhaps a particular garment from that time period that you love the look and feel of?
    Well lets see there :think: ... I am a Member of Generation X, Still sometimes live in the 80's. I still have some clothing, and still fold my jeans cuffs the same as I did back then. I always wanted to me Madonna, she was so alive and bold, free spirted when she dressed with her undercloths outside. I looked up to her for be herself. I was always afraid to show what I liked in fear of persacussion. I was the kid everyone picked on and made fun of. Between... likeing girls clothes, looking different, having no friends, never kissed a girl until I was 15 (witch was done as a cruel joke, later found out)... I would say living in the past with objects I liked was my way of keeping my sanity. I started out with Boots and classic pumps. and graduated to pantyhose many years later. For many years after that, being in denile, not understanding whats wrong with me, I went in to the military thinking they would make a man outta me. After 10 years of loyal service, I was a repressed guy wearing girlly things. I'm thinking wear is Madonna when I need her(strike a pose, touched for the very first time)? I found this site searching for what is wrong with me, And found I might just might be normal, but just different. Most important not alone anymore. Women to me are the Pecaso of life, and I want to be apart of it no matter how silly I look.

I hope this answers your ?'s soory to be so long, this is pretty deep for me.
    DK Productions LLC, Giving back to the Rainbow Community. Need a DJ, Every Song Has a Story, We Make The Memory

I am really enjoying your answers, and the pictures! Thank you, girls

Deirdra, I had never thought about the point you raised, that the fashions of certain periods (like the 80s) are more suited to the body shape of most CDs. Big shoulders, and short skirts to show off those terrific legs.....that makes sense! I was surpised to see how many love the 80s look. As Tristen and April said, for a lot of you it was what you saw growing up or the first women's clothes you wore.

Several of you made an interesting point, that the clothes you wear when attempting to pass are not necessarily the clothes you would prefer to wear. That says to me that it is more important to you to be seen as "one of the girls" than it is to please yourself by dressing in your ideal fantasy outfit. Both of those choices bring their own unique kind of satisfaction, I imagine. I hope you are able to incorporate both into your life at different times

Justina, Cosmo, and Ava, I completely understand your love for the clothes of the 30s and 40s. I love them too. In that era women were experimenting with power, not only their sexual power, but a newfound independence and self-awareness that came as a result of essentially keeping the country running while the men were away at war. The mothers of these women had fought for, and won, the right to vote (in America), and they were the first girls to grow up with that right. To me, it's almost as though the 50s represented a backlash against this by returning to a more frilly, delicate, demure, and restrictive version of femininity.

Fiona, I thought you brought up something interesting too, about finding contemporary styles that somehow echo the spirit an earlier time. You can certainly see a wide variety of historical influences in the clothes of today, and that gives us a lot more choice!

Katie, I love Madonna too. I personally think she must be a crossdressing enthusiast like me. Who else would dress male dancers in cone bras and (years later) sing "Do you know what it feels like for a girl?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

maidthesy

1950's clothes for 1950's maid

the high period for maids were the 19470-1950's. My Mistress just sees it as fitting that her maid should be dressed after the fashion of these years.

These 1950's clothes have now my way of dressing for the past 2 years and while I admire the feminity and elegance of that time, I also admire the endurance and condition of the women of this era , being girdled and corsetted, stockinged and nyloned as they were.

Sometimes during hot summerdays I ask myself how they coped , because I do have my problems with my foundations.

Your Maid in service
    Thesy
    Attached Images Attached Images