Thread: Just Been On Local Radio Talking About Crossdressing

Velvet Crossdresseruperer ~Tammy~'s Avatar

Just Been On Local Radio Talking About Crossdressing

Hi Peeps

As the title so subtly indicates, I've just been on a local radio chat show talking about crossdressing.

First let me explain what the show was about...

It all began with a woman who phoned in with a dilema. She had been abused when she was younger, left home at 14 and became an prostitute. She has now been with a guy for 3-4 years and hasn't told him any of this. Furthermore she told him she's a nurse when she works in a factory. So basically she been 'living a lie' as the show puts it.

From there people phone in and give their opinion as to whether she should tell the guy about it all or if she should keep it a secret.

Well I just had to call in to give my opinion of this. I phone in and called myself Luke to remain vaguely anonymous and was extremely nervous

Here's the transcript of the conversation:

DJ: Were talking about living a lie at the moment, hi Luke
    Me: Hello there
    DJ: You were going through quite a big lie in your life, before you actually confronted your fiancee about it
    Me: Yeah, quite a lot, erm... (gets interrupted)
    DJ: How long were you together with your fiancee before you confronted her?
    Me: We were together about 3-4 months
    DJ: 3-4 months?
    Me: Yeah
    DJ: Right, Ok. And what is it that you were doing that you didn't tell her about?
    Me: I was crossdressing, for a long time
    DJ: Is this something you do in the privacy of your own home, or what?
    Me: Mainly, yeah. but I do it with my finacee as well (That doesnt quite make sense does it, but that's because we currently live apart)
    DJ: All right, and when she found out about what you do, what was her reaction?
    Me: At first she was very shocked, she felt that she felt (eh?) betrayed, decieved, she took it quite hard, it was very hard for me as well. But basically I thought if I'm going to spend the rest of my life with her...

The recorder stopped there, but I said ...if I'm going to spend the rest of my life with her then I can't keep any secrets from her and she deserved to know everything about me. DJ asked me what I thought could happen after telling her the truth?

Started recording again...

DJ: ...telling her the truth?
    Me: I thought she probably wouldn't be able to take it, she'd probably leave and tell everybody, everybody I knew, everybody I cared about. But really I thought I've just got to tell her.

I have an mp3 of the above part of the call if anyone would like to hear it, again the recorder stopped at that point but for another minute or so but we talked about having an honest relationship and not having secrets. Also about why I do it and how I started. In the final part of the converstion (which I wish I had recorded!) the DJ asked me where I go from here.
    I said we want to get married and the DJ asked who will be wearing the wedding dress. I said i'm out of luck there, then the DJ said well maybe on the wedding night then?!

Considering there would have been a few thousand people listening I hope I got my point across and maybe a few CD's out there will find the courage to come out after listening to a fellow CD on the radio. Or at the very least gave a few thousand people a giggle at the nervous tranny

~Tammy~

That is so cool, Tammy! Er, Luke!

You are awesome for telling your story on the air. The more people who are exposed to the subject of crossdressing, the easier things will be for crossdressers and those who love them. I'm glad the DJ let you have your say and responded in a non-judgmental way. Great story!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

Reading this and listening to it...... you just can't compare the 2 at all. I sat listening to 'Luke' (there's another story behind that name too) and couldn't believe how nervous he was. But listening to them talking made me realise something today.
    DJ: ...telling her the truth?
    Me: I thought she probably wouldn't be able to take it, she'd probably leave and tell everybody, everybody I knew, everybody I cared about. But really I thought I've just got to tell her.
    This is the part that I never really thought about until I heard it today. What if I had taken it bad, what if I told all his family and friends, what if I did walk away and leave??? That was a harsh reality slap and made me think about all the CD's still in the closet and why they don't come out to their SO. I think until you hear something live like that, you can't fully understand the reason why so many CD's are still living a lie. I don't think I'll be asking that question again 'why don't you just tell her', because now I understand how devasting this could actually be in a relationship. The bigger picture of coming out sure is a scary thing.

To my baby.... I can't believe you did that, all those people listening. Let's hope this is a step forward and that some other CD's still in the closet were listening

Oh... the Luke thing....... obviously Tam didn't want to use his real name..... so he suggested 'John'. The lady rang him back and said they already have a few Johns and she suggested Luke. What is so odd about that is, we decided if we have another baby and it was a boy, we would call him Luke.... what's the odds in that
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

girl next door
    What a great story, thanks for sharing it with us.
    I'm sure if I was driving along the road and heard something like that on the radio, it certainly would've been inspirational for me. I'll bet you helped at least of few others today, not to mention the contribution to educating the public at large. You go girl.

Tristen Cox
    Pretty cool, now that's a step in the right direction Honest I didn't giggle, ok maybe a little snicker

Way cool. :Power: You rock sister.
    Love and Hugs,
    Priscilla

Very couragious of you to talk about it on the radio. You're honesty and sincerity will go far and help others.

Thank you!

Emmi

Tammy, hon that was way cool, girl. I comend you for that very corrages step. And Tamra hon, I am glad that you learnt something. You are such a sweetheart and quite an insperation to all of us crossdressers. Love you both.

Rikki

Wow, that takes alot of courage. Especially knowing how radio personalities have been known to take liberties at the expense of the person calling in. Excellent work Tammy
    "If there's trouble, all us freaks have is each other" ~ Abe Sapien, Hellboy

Departed
    Tammy,

We need a badge of courage so we can award it to you! From what I read you did us all proud. And what was so cool is the impact it had on Tamara. You stated our fears so perfectly and if Tamara saw things differently I hope other SOs who listened had a similar realization.

We're all here on this big green earth just trying to get by with what we have been given.

Artistically Feminine Ava Mouse's Avatar
    Tammy,

Wow! Thank you very much for taking the courage to step up and help us get noticed in a POSITIVE light! We look much better because of what you did!

-Ava
    Ava Mouse - An artist experimenting with the medium of femininity...
    "Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery."

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    You go girl!
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

Smile radio

Quote Originally Posted by Ava Mouse
    Tammy,

Wow! Thank you very much for taking the courage to step up and help us get noticed in a POSITIVE light! We look much better because of what you did!

-Ava
    Amen to that.Good job.

Velvet Crossdresseruperer ~Tammy~'s Avatar
    I forgot to mention when the DJ asked me about how I started and asked if it was a case of going into my sisters or mums room and trying on their clothes. It seemed as though he was speaking from personal experience, as if saying I know what you mean. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!

He also asked what I thought about friends or work collegues listening and might be thinking what a wierdo wearing womens clothes. I said I know it may seem wierd but I enjoy it. I mentioned this to Tamara and she pointed out I should have told him that a couple of my work collegues are also crossdressers. One of them I know from bumping into him at a transgender meeting last year, the other person I don't know but he told me he knows of another CD at my workplace.

I guess one thing that made me more nervous was that before I went on air some people had phoned in and the DJ made a mockery out of them for talking absolute nonsense but he was actually quite sincere and understanding with me and we were able to bring a bit of humour to it as well in a nice way.

~~Post Modern Romantic~~ KewTnCurvy GG's Avatar
    ~Dear Dorothy,
    Hate Oz, took the shoes, find your own way home.
    Toto~

You did a great job Tammy! Cool post.

Tammy, thank you for having the courage and fortitude to raise the issue in public. Public awarness is what transgenderism needs to be accepted in society.

You have my appreciation.

Christine
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Love And Devotion To My Online Family

I'm outa the closet, but still inda house!

respect!!!!! Well Done Tammy
    Tammy, thank you for having the courage and fortitude to raise the issue in public. Public awarness is what transgenderism needs to be accepted in society.
    .......my centements exactly

StephanieCD
    That's the kind of attitude that will pave the way for the next generation - good for you! And, actually, bravo to the DJ for not being an insensitive a-hole.

Very kewl indeed. Let me start out saying it's downright refreshing to hear stories like that and read threads like this. I am glad I stumbled across this place.

I know my heart would have been pounding out of my chest talking about this on the radio. And Tamara, nice to hear your realization about how impactful coming out to one's SO can be in so many areas. It takes a huge amount of trust to reveal this secret to anyone. My wife found out about this side of me last year after being together for seven years. I had stopped in my twenties and hadn't dressed since well before we met. I know it was naive, but I didn't think it was going to be an issue so telling her at the start of our relationship wasn't really something I ever thought to do.
    "I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."
    Lily Tomlin

I finally gave in and started a Flickr page for my pics, if you want to have a look....still loading haven't organized anything... https://www.flickr.com/photos/129221215@N08/

Luke - use the force! LOL Seriously Tammy - well done!

DanaJ

Tammy that was awesome! I am so glad to know the DJ was nice about everything and not being a jerk. I can imagine it was a nervous moment, but you can bet that you helped someome out there listening to you share your story.

HUgs to you and Tamara!!!!!!!

kathy in canada