Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is "Feminine" To You?

Ok....Okay.

I just have one observation on a lingusitic level: In the English language, I Iooooove how women emphasize the pronucation of vowels vs. how men emphaszie the pronuciation of consonants. That, to me, is a visilbe, or rather audble difference between feminine vs. masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by windycissy View Post
    I'm sure you're not the only one who feels that way, but I've got Crysten's back on this one. A lot of us fantasize about what it's like to be taken out on a date as the girl, and if you truly want to experience what it's like to be romanced by a guy, sooner or later you're going to get there...as I said, not for everyone to be sure, but for those who dare, it can be wonderfully fulfilling when a man makes a woman out of you
    There's a big difference between saying that and saying that doing such is the ultimate expression of femininity. I occasionally see this sentiment that having sex with a man makes a woman out of you. It never sits right with me, and if I were a woman I think I'd find it downright chauvinistic.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

What is feminine to me?

Well I have spotted quite a few CD's out in the world as they still walk like a man despite varying degree's on convincing attire, one I spotted on the tube in London was dressed perfectly but the wig and body deportment was a 100% give away to me and the rest of the carriage.
    I practice my walk and movement all the time though I am never able to go into the world as Gillian, and practice my moves based on watching similar style women in life and telly.

I hold my head, arms and legs in as delicate a way as I can, always, as part of my illusion, and use make up to hide my real self from just my own gaze and feel I could be fairly convincing if I ever had the chance, though I would need to go shopping and spend a fortune to make myself as good as I could.

Just my twopenny worth

Maybe this is too clinical but here goes:

I think there are two ways of defining feminine: biological and sociological.

Biologically there are some things women can do and men can’t (and visa-versa – although I do think men are more limited than women…).

The sociological definition is based on expectations of how women and men “should” behave or present themselves in society. With the possible exception of the transsexual trapped in a body of the wrong sex, I think most of us crossdress because our preference in “gender rolls” leads us to prefer the roll opposite that of our birth sex as defined by our society or by ourselves.

My point?

Speaking for myself as a MTF crossdresser I attempt to present or act “feminine” as I understand society’s definition of feminine. My understanding of this definition may be flawed or just different than yours. But that doesn’t make it wrong.

So here are some qualities I consider feminine:
    • Pretty.
    • Gentle.
    • Calm.
    • Nurturing.
    • Patient.

Mina Lost aka Lynda

Being free and easy yet loving and firm.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

bron
    To me, feminine is being much more aware of ones emotions.....much more empathetic than men...soft and gentle, caring...compassionate...and able to talk a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkeyOnRye View Post
    There's a big difference between saying that and saying that doing such is the ultimate expression of femininity. I occasionally see this sentiment that having sex with a man makes a woman out of you. It never sits right with me, and if I were a woman I think I'd find it downright chauvinistic.
    Funny. The reason I put that in there is because I actually heard Barbara Walters say it one night during an interview she was conducting, and I thought "that makes sense to me". She said something like "Of course, the ultimate expression of femininity is accepting a man into your life and body".

Sorry you found it offensive.
    Crysten

"Addicted to Victoria's Secret".

Platinum Member
    Interesting question. I know as a male, I have a somewhat idealized view of what being feminine is. So I put that aside and try to think about what I can observe. Women I know are much more relationship oriented, better at listening. Maybe its that emotional IQ thing.

I do find myself attending to more of the household tasks, mainly because I am just better at them!

As for making me "feel" feminine...that's where the idealized view is expressed. I love wearing dresses, stockings and heels, and although I can't pass, I love wearing just a little make up when we go out. And oddly enough, I feel more feminine now that I have some realistic breast forms. padding up with paper or whatever just seemed so fake.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 01-26-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: wanted to complete the thought!

i just want to add the definition of femininity as well as masculine are constantly changing. What was considered feminine years now might be put into another catagory. I would to agreed with most of the responses with their definition of feminine. It is also a state of mind as well as outward behaviors

The word feminine, to me is
    Pink
    Sexy
    Long painted nails
    Long hair
    Frills
    Lace
    Satin
    Stockings and suspenders
    Heels
    Perfume
    Dangly earrings
    Relaxation
    Grace
    Kindness
    Loving
    Warm
    Sexy
    Samantha -x-

Although the two are related to each other i think that there is a difference in being female and being feminine, female is a gender while feminine is an essence of how something is , i see that a lot see feminine as something you can switch on and off depending on what you are doing or wearing .
    A male could be feminine in everything they do as a female could be masculine in everything they do , but i would agree that certain things you do can make you believe that it has made you feminine so that is a positive thing .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

First of all, I make a sharp distinction between "feminine" and "female". Feminine is all about attitudes, appearances, mannerisms, and style. Female is sexual in a physical sense.

Having said that, my first thoughts regarding feminine do tend toward the obvious visual things such as clothing and make up. In that regard, when I see a woman, I make a snap judgment about her femininity in accordance with her appearance. Not fair, but that's where I go.

Regarding myself, well, that's not so easy. I think that the same level I apply to women I also apply to myself. But now I wonder where the higher things are in my ladder of values; things such as sensitivity, "womanly arts" such as cooking, holding babies, etc.

Am I really seeing myself in the same way that I am seeing women? Thanks for the question - I think.
    TG is who I am; CD is something I do.

My CD Blog Site