Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is "Feminine" To You?

What is "Feminine" To You?

When you hear the word "feminine" what is the first trait or characteristic that comes to your mind? I encourage all to respond to this thread but I am particularly interested in what our GG's have to say about this. I'm thinking this might reveal some differences in the way males and females view things.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Feminine, that's a loaded question Holly I haven't really thought about it to be honest.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

It's not meant to be loaded... honest . Some might say a shaply form, others a nurturing attitute and still others breasts. I'm just trying to get a handle of how different groups precieve femininity.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Well, I've just got out the shower, stood in front of the mirror, dried and straightened my hair... and even though I have the 'feeling fat and frumpy' mood on, doing my hair, making it look perfect (you can ask Sharon how obsessive I am about my hair lol), makes me feel feminine
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Feminity?

IMO - it is many things. Lots of women aren't feminine. Hell, I've stated before, I am more feminine than my wife. No question about it.

But what is it? Here's my thoughts:

1. Embracing and expressing your female characteristics (for us, that would be all the padding, forms, cinchers, wig, etc)
    2. Chosing "girly" clothing - heels, dresses, skirts, instead of andro or other clothes (as most women do nowadays)
    3. Female manerisms - body language says it all. Have you ever seen a woman from across the street and immediately knew she was a lesbian? BODY LANGUAGE!!!
    4. Female accesories - including makeup. All the "stuff" that fills womens bathrooms.
    5. Attitude - soft, caring, acceptiing, sympathetic, etc (esp with children - having my own has opened up my eyes on this issue)
    6. Exploiting, as much as possible, all the choices females have. Many women don't do this NEARLY enough
    7. And finally - I guess the number one most feminine thing possible is to enter a "hetero" relationship with a man, with you as the woman. This includes orgasming as a female. Personally, I'm not going there any time soon. But many of us have.

So - all of that put together - leads to an expression of yourself as a feminine person. I would call it a lifestyle choice more than anything else I guess, since many, many women choose not to express themselves as overtly feminine, and just choose to fall back to the sex act as their primary identification with femininity. Many of them (most?) will state that their bodies, and what their bodies can do (ie childbirth) is the root of their feminine feelings, which we will never feel, unfortunately.
    Crysten

"Addicted to Victoria's Secret".

Gold Member
    Feminine -
    That is an adjective that would describe Eminem on weekends when he secrety dresses really pretty and dances in front of the mirror.
    Or maybe in a ball gown and calls himself "Cinderfella"

For real tho - feminine is something that is generally done ir used by women more than men.

"Pretty" is feminine, say like a purse or something curvy.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

To me, femininity is the strength of being gentle, power without force, personality without arrogance, the ability to make others feel important without diminishing yourself
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Feminine to me is the way you move and your jesters, femininity to me is soft flowing moves and jesters like tall grass moving in a gentle breeze as opposed to masculine that would be tall and firm in its movements, a fluency that runs through you body.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

one way or two is cooking or cleaning while dressed enfemme.....always feels good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    When you hear the word "feminine" what is the first trait or characteristic that comes to your mind?
    The first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word 'feminine' is

Soft...as in
    *features
    *voice
    *mannerisms
    *heart
    [SIZE=3]SouthernBelle
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]“Some things are strange to me, and some things are odd.
    But I don't condemn. If you can accept me, I can accept you.” ~Dolly Parton
    [/SIZE]

I'm with Persephone on this one. It is a way of being - all the best characteristics of being human - caring, nurturing, grace,elegance, softness, warmth, gentle loving humour, a truthfulness mingled with kindness. But also an inner strength that finds a way when things look dark. Everything I want to be in my life...Dee

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    To me, femininity is the strength of being gentle, power without force, personality without arrogance, the ability to make others feel important without diminishing yourself

The first thought that came to my mind was gentleness and kindness, but Persephone said it elegantly.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

Gentle, soft, kind, loving, fragrant, pretty are a few words that spring to mind on the word feminine. Everything I feel I am or aspire to xx

Thanks for the responses so far. I'd really like a larger sampling... keep 'em coming .
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Being able to nuture, softness and loving.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Careing more about the comfort of the family than yourself.

I think my husband has femme down to a science.

Presh GG

7. And finally - I guess the number one most feminine thing possible is to enter a "hetero" relationship with a man, with you as the woman. This includes orgasming as a female. Personally, I'm not going there any time soon. But many of us have.
    am I the only one who finds this borderline insulting? I know some pretty femm lesbians who might have some objections to it.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly
    When you hear the word "feminine" what is the first trait or characteristic that comes to your mind?
    [SIZE="2"]The word “feminine” conjures up a cornucopia of gentle sensibilities that have always been attractive to me. There are certain elements of posture, presentation, manner, and overall comportment that I choose to emulate, but it’s not easy! I also need to point out that communication, yielding, listening, and quiet strength can be seen as feminine sensibilities – I certainly don’t notice them in the “kit” of the normal male these days….

Of course, the outer containment vessel for feminine women is equally fascinating (and desirable). The fact that many GG’s don’t know (or don’t care to know) what we’re talking about, or what we are in pursuit of, means we have a DIY situation on our hands. Same as it ever was, but if a point of contention didn’t exist, there would be no basis for our explorations...[/SIZE]

not quite silver yet Emma Leigh's Avatar
    What she said, plus great clothes! I would rather have said, elequently put, but I got beat to it, pity most women fail to be feminine, in every respect, maybe we do what we do because we are better at it than most of them!,

any time that my gf hands me the latest issue of
    victorias secrets catalog. i have to look at ever page.
    does this count?

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkeyOnRye View Post
    am I the only one who finds this borderline insulting? I know some pretty femm lesbians who might have some objections to it.
    I'm sure you're not the only one who feels that way, but I've got Crysten's back on this one. A lot of us fantasize about what it's like to be taken out on a date as the girl, and if you truly want to experience what it's like to be romanced by a guy, sooner or later you're going to get there...as I said, not for everyone to be sure, but for those who dare, it can be wonderfully fulfilling when a man makes a woman out of you

An adjective describing something girly, pretty, cute, soft, frilly, sweet, nurturing, etc.....

My destiny is before me Brandi Wyne's Avatar

Me and Thee; She and He

To my way of thinking, being feminine is a state of mind that controls actions and tastes. How much is genetic and how much is derived from outside influences varies a lot from person to person.

I have seen my own cute little girl go from being the soft and gentle image of femininity to being a bold, brash and physical person who borders on the masculine outlook within moments of each other.

We humans are natural imitators on many levels. Our society of mankind seems to demand it. Over time the imitating becomes the genuine, habitual thing that controls much of our way of thinking and acting.

Perhaps we put too much emphasis on gender to define self. If I feel feminine and imitate the actions required often enough, it stands to reason that I will become feminine within myself without changing gender. I'm sure the opposite is quite true, too.

To your point Holly, I also believe that we tend to look at a set of actions and reactions as being "feminine". We tend to think someone is feminine who is more of a feeling person. someone who can enjoy the softer side of life and find joy in little self-indulgences that present to others a refined and/or sensual look. There is a sense of self-depreciation and a willingness to listen without having to "fix" anythinng; allowing the other person to lead and being content to follow.

Well, that's my take on it anyway.
    [SIZE="3"]Brandi[/SIZE]
    Love life and find happiness where you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Leigh View Post
    What she said.......pity most women fail to be feminine, in every respect, maybe we do what we do because we are better at it than most of them!,
    Emma, do you see the contridiction in your own statement? The last part is not gentle toward women, neither does it make them feel important.

Talking about true feminity, like true humility, if we have to say we are, we ain't.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Yup, this is in total agreement with my internal compass on what constitutes femininity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Being able to nuture, softness and loving.
    This hits closer to home for me. the feeling of softness and gentleness that comes over me is in stark contrast with the way I usually feel in my testosterone-soaked life.

Quote Originally Posted by Presh GG View Post
    Caring more about the comfort of the family than yourself.

I think my husband has femme down to a science.

Presh GG
    Presh, this statement comes closest to home of all for me, and my wife has said almost that phrase to me - though at times in frustration (i.e. "You're a better woman/mother/wife than me. You're the feminine one in this marriage).

My family is everything to me. My wife, my kids, their hopes and dreams - it is why I live my life. It is why I sometimes willingly sacrifice my happiness to ensure that their needs are met. No, I'm not a doormat. I simply revel in the "little things" - doing my daughter's hair in the morning and helping her pick out outfits for school, or doing her makeup for ballet. Quizzing my son on his spelling words. Proofreading my wife's latest journal article. Laundry, ironing, cleaning, cooking, being a "room mom" at school - whatever it takes to ensure my family is taken care of.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that these things are what I think women should do, and by doing them, I am suddenly closer to womanhood. I don't put on a maid outfit and get a thrill out of "playing house." I simply do it so that my family has time to do other things. My wife's job requires long and sometimes strange hours. My kid's lives are full of school, church and all the activities of a modern kid. My job is pretty 9 to 5, and therefore I seem to be the one who has time for these things. Still, I'm not totally altruistic - the satisfaction and contentment I get from being a part of my family's lives more than outweighs the effort it takes.

So, although I can never truly know what it is to be feminine, I do enjoy what I feel is the closest approximation, in my experience.

Kathi
    Last edited by Kathi Lake; 01-24-2010 at 11:23 PM.