Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do we take pictures?

Why do we take pictures?

I have been thinking about this a lot since my girl first found out through a photo. (she didn’t know it was me till I told her, after relentless prodding about it).

This thought came up again the other night, when I spent a few hours trying on my things and snapping shots like crazy.

My only thought is I don’t have a mirror to gaze into.

So why do you find your self in front of a camera?

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Cuz I'm a vain ole bayotch? My first guess.

Maybe it's because the camera is more objective than my own perception and lets me see myself realistically whereas my own two eyes or even my friends (who are too kind) may not.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Cuz we are all Supermodels silly
    Bored? Try wearing a pretty dress. It's fun.

Pictures

I for one like taking pictures because, as was said in another thread, when I am dressed I love looking at myself and what I have become, the pictures remind me of that, when I can't dress or don't have the time to do things right so I look at the pictures of myself and I love the look I have made. I never show these pictures to anyone because they are for me and my enjoyment.

Coming from someone who is not a lifelong picture-taker (I've only taken pictures for the last two years), I use the photos like anyone else would...for memories. I enjoy looking back on the pictures and my writings to remember my outings. During my current renaissance period but prior to the pictures, all I have are my written words. Those are beyond valuable but I still wish I had pictures to go along with the words.

But from a practical standpoint, there's always vanity to cite as a very legitimate reason!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

To me, photography and crossdressing are both art forms. Anyone can own a camera as well as a bunch of clothes. Making the most out each requires dedicated practice and with a critical eye for improvement. So why not use each as a means for developing the other art form? Besides, I have too much fun doing both.

Babette
    Someone else's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

I have often wondered why I take so many pictures too. Aside from something creative to do while dressed I like to have them on hand for the times I can't dress. I'll take prehaps 45 pics in a 4 hour span. Then I'll delete the not so good ones and crop the ones I'll keep and delete somemore. I'll end up with close to 10 keepers. I do like to compare recent photos from past ones trying subtle changes in makeup and dress, skirt styles and hair. The camera makes it more fun.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babette View Post
    To me, photography and crossdressing are both art forms. Anyone can own a camera as well as a bunch of clothes. Making the most out each requires dedicated practice and with a critical eye for improvement. So why not use each as a means for developing the other art form? Besides, I have too much fun doing both.

Babette

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by diane51 View Post
    I have often wondered why I take so many pictures too. Aside from something creative to do while dressed I like to have them on hand for the times I can't dress. I'll take prehaps 45 pics in a 4 hour span. Then I'll delete the not so good ones and crop the ones I'll keep and delete somemore. I'll end up with close to 10 keepers. I do like to compare recent photos from past ones trying subtle changes in makeup and dress, skirt styles and hair. The camera makes it more fun.
    45 shots in 4 hours...my my my.

I belive there has not been that many of me in about something like 40 years.

I am a bit camera shy.

Loni

Pictures

The internet is how the fully dressed me gets out most so if I have a picture of the current outfit I like to put it into a profile for the transgender chat room I visit. Like one lady said it also gives me and anyone else who sees it a true look at what I look like. I like feedback and suggestions even when sometimes it's back to the drawing board with that one.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Don't have any issues with photo's. I just do not take any at all..ever.

being fashion photographer i know why i take pictures when related to my job . and photos can be for art , press, historical and comercial . therefore I too have wondered where do we all fit in to this .

The pictures i take of myself are nothing like i take at work and i think serve as some form of record of the moment + and as i am in the closet i think its a way of getting out i the open but still saying in the closset.

my so spends ages getting ready if we are going out and see feels good and i always think its nice to see her a little specal so lets face it , some of us spend ages getting ready, but no one ever sees us or complimets us so i could also guess we take photos as some form of self expression .

as a last word we probably all end up taking pictures for different e resons but what the heck is it not fun

Gold Member
    I have never been a big photographer. I am just not good at it and if I have too many to go through, then I don't feel like looking.

But when I dress, I do tend to think about it a little more (which isn't saying much). But I do want some pictures for a couple of reasons. First, I do want to be able to look back and see what was and hopefully the improvements as I went along. But also, I feel I tend to judge my look in a mirror too harshly as I can lean in and see every error or problem. A picture gives me a view that is more like what other people might see. Basically, the take one step back and take in the whole view kind of thing.

So that I can remember the moments.
    So that my friends online can see what I look like.
    Practice for real photography.
    Self Portraiture is a valid and well-known form of expression.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Speaking for myself, I think crosdressers are all a bit narcissistic. Most of us are trying to be the best looking girl we can and enjoy looking at our female selves in mirrors. Like the saying goes, "take a picture, it lasts longer."

It's kind of ironic that I consider myself narcissistic and I enjoy looking at my CD pictures as I have had low self esteem most of my life. I was teased in school over my weight and having slight breasts, so I never felt attractive, especially to women. Until a few years ago, this carried over through most of my adult life. I still have a weight problem but there are times in the mirror now that I feel I'm also a good looking guy.

I think part of this is that I've decided to embrace my crossdressing in the last couple of years. As I try to look better as a woman, the care for myself carries over to my male persona. One thing I like about pictures is to see how much my female look has improved over just the last year. Most of the earlier ones I can't stand to look at anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd View Post
    So that I can remember the moments.
    So that my friends online can see what I look like.
    Practice for real photography.
    Self Portraiture is a valid and well-known form of expression.
    Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

I'm not dressed all the time so I feel the need to capture a sort of essence of who I am inside. I can later look at them and say "that's me!". I want people to see who I am. I just love photography. It's something I've always liked. For me, I'm not happy with what I look like as a man I don't wish to be photographed then. Total reversal as a woman. Strange?

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cindychan View Post
    Cuz we are all Supermodels silly
    Plus it's just alot of fun to see how you look from the viewpoint of an outsider, which is what you are when you see a picture.

We look in a mirror and see what is good, maybe. We take pictures first to admire ourselves later when we are not dressed. Second, so that we can see our progress as to how well we dress or put on makeup. And lastly because we are proud that we can make the changes and show others our success. While in the closet one who goes out dressed for halloween will still show friends and co-workers the pictures for months to come.
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Two reasons , first so that i can see what i look like , and secondly i think it is important (to me) that if anyone ever sent me a message they would know who they are sending it to , (which accounts for the lack of messages):
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Yes, no and, "U MUST be joking!"

Quote Originally Posted by Joni Marie Cruz View Post
    Cuz I'm a vain ole bayotch? My first guess.

Maybe it's because the camera is more objective than my own perception and lets me see myself realistically whereas my own two eyes or even my friends (who are too kind) may not.
    Hugs...Joni Mari
    I agree, Joni, except Sherry's MUCH MORE than simply VAIN! In her mind, she's a DRAG QUEEN!
    As for a camera being objective, Joni, you've got the WRONG BRAND! Sherry's BEST pictures r COMPLETELY AN ILLUSION!

Quote Originally Posted by diane51 View Post
    I'll take perhaps 45 pics in a 4 hour span.
    Seriously, Diane, 45 in 4 hours?
    In 4 hours, using a camcorder and still digital, I'll get 1500 to 2000!
    And, like u, I'll have maybe 10% "keepers". But, that's 150 of Sherry, compared to 5 of Diane! I PREFER those odds!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    We all know the saying "If a tree falls in the forest . . ." I have my own version which may relate to us. "If we dress up and no one took a picture,does it really count?" I believe that when no one is there to see you, we miss out on the compliments and suggestions we might get from others.
    Having a photo to show is a chance to say "Here is how good I looked".

Personally, seeing myself in photos, gives me a change to see how I look from an outside perspective. It is different from what a mirror can tell me. Also, seeing myself at a party or where ever, having a good time, reminds me why this is worth all the trouble it can sometimes be.

Gen

Taking a picture is different from looking in a mirror. We don't exactly know why, but a photo is more like what other people would see.
    I won't say the camera never lies, because that's obvious rubbish: let's just say it tells a different story from the way we look to ourselves.
    And yes, photos serve as memories. Just don't leave them lying around.
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

Self critiquing mostly.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Genifer Teal View Post
    We all know the saying "If a tree falls in the forest . . ." I have my own version which may relate to us. "If we dress up and no one took a picture,does it really count?" I believe that when no one is there to see you, we miss out on the compliments and suggestions we might get from others.
    Having a photo to show is a chance to say "Here is how good I looked".

Personally, seeing myself in photos, gives me a change to see how I look from an outside perspective. It is different from what a mirror can tell me. Also, seeing myself at a party or where ever, having a good time, reminds me why this is worth all the trouble it can sometimes be.

Gen
    Genifer... I like the way you think!

hugs

msniki48

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    TY

Gen

Quote Originally Posted by msniki48 View Post
    Genifer... I like the way you think!

hugs

msniki48